Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone.

I have a Gen 1 GS300 and I'm having some issues with it. I put a post up previously about my car starting, running for a couple seconds and then cutting out. Also all the interior lights and gauges have stopped working.

Initially the issue was that the alternator was not charging the Battery and so it died. I have since had the alternator changed, unfortunately the 'genius' AA sent out to help me get the car home shorted out the Battery. (Put positive terminal to negative)

I'm completely lost as to what the issue is, the alternator has been changed, the car starts fine so I don't think it is the Battery. I have changed the interior fuses for the 'Gauge' and 'Panel'. None of the electrics are working at all, sunroof, windows, steering wheel. Nothing. But the exterior lights do work.

Also I noticed if I keep the key in the car for a few minutes it will refuse to start at all, take the key out, put it back in and starts no problem, but then cuts out again.

I am reluctant to take it back to the garage because I just don't trust them anymore.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I am really stressed out about this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aamir

17 minutes ago, TigerFish said:

Where abouts are you located?

Does the little red security light go out when the key is in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am based in Walthamstow, East London. The red light is not on at all, the key doesn't lock or unlock the car, I have to manually put the key in to lock/unlock.

Lock button does nothing, but the unlock button only flashes the hazards, doesn't actually unlock the car.

Any ideas?

Thanks mate

I have been fighting with the AA everyday since it happened. Initially it took them 1 day to get back to me to tell me that they are not responsible.

Either they are just bastards or the technician has told them a lie. Now they say we are investigating further. But I need my car running, it's my daily driver to get me to and from work and get the kids from school.

Agree about the auto electrician. I do hope it hasn't damaged the ECU's although they do have a degree of protection built in for reverse polarity.

I'm sure you have and forgive me for checking but you have checked ALL the fuse boxes haven't you? There are a few big beasts in the engine bay. One looks similar to a relay which controls a lot of the cars electrics. Also, I don't know the early GS300 but as well as the one in the drivers footwell and engine bay, on other Lex's there is also a third in the passenger footwell. Just throwing it out there in the hope you've missed one.

The normal fuse to blow on Battery polarity reversal is the 120A alternator fuse located within the engine bay fuse box, this is not the usual plug in fuse but has screw terminals so access means removing the fuse box and getting to the fuse connections from underneath. How the AA can deny liability is beyond belief....I would certainly be escalating a complaint.

1 minute ago, steve2006 said:

The normal fuse to blow on battery polarity reversal is the 120A alternator fuse located within the engine bay fuse box, this is not the usual plug in fuse but has screw terminals so access means removing the fuse box and getting to the fuse connections from underneath. How the AA can deny liability is beyond belief....I would certainly be escalating a complaint.

Cheers for the info mate 👍

I've definitely escalated it further, they're just taking the *****. I'm almost certain the technician they sent out has denied any wrongdoing. Seemed a bit of a pillock from the start.

Is the 120A fuse difficult to get to? Is it as simple as just undoing some bolts to lift the fuse box out?

Thanks again

The 120a is in the engine bay box but check all of them as I think the 120A also feeds the starter motor which is ok. 

Check every single fuse to be sure as there's usually multiple circuits coming off each one and not every single circuit is labelled.

Not entirely sure with the GS300 but on the LS400 there are around 3 bolts holding the fuse box in, there should be a fuse description guide inside the fuse box lid, the fuse you are looking for is larger and more square than the pull out ones with a clear cover over the top.

71DC8FD9-9C02-4DC1-842D-AA27DF4C3C82.jpeg