Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

spark plugs - RX450h

Anyone done the spark plug change on an Rx450h ?

I normally do my own servicing ... and for this car about to take that off Lexus hands..... however, the next service will need spark plugs.

Looking in the engine bay feels like an involved job... and from what I can see in the service manual, looks like lots to remove before I can get close.

Has anyone tried it?

I have always changed the s/plugs on my cars which has mostly been a doddle.  However, this looks a major job on an RX450h and I am not sure I want to do this on my RX450h.  Have a look at this vid and see whether you will tackle it. 

• Like 1

I've heard one or two say it's easy when you know how (whatever that means) but similar issue with my old 400h. I remember the dealer saying his 10 year old could change the front three, the back three were a different matter. Hence the warning when looking at second hand RXs to check the back three have been changed.

Doesn't look too worrying from that video... much less daunting than the official service manual says (they want the coolant drained, which seems excessive)

Although, the video run time is 21mins, I suspect this is a days work for me!

having just been skimmed for nearly £500 for the 40000 service, and they didn't bother changing the brake fluid... I'm not sure i want to part with £750, if I don't trust they would do it all.

How do you get a cost of £750?

Forget about the mileages because they got them wrong - the important bit is the 6 year/60k mile service when the spark plugs are done:

476505274_serviceplan1.thumb.PNG.0df53ee0463e2e093a86f9c52e68fe55.PNG

Seems to me that you need to haggle and shop around for servicing.

If you look at the so called fixed price for a RX450h shown here, OP has only rounded up by £5 from what is shown here at £500 for the 40K mile service and it is the 60K one (with the spark plugs)  similarly rounded up to £750. https://www.motorline.co.uk/lexus/service-parts-offers/pricing/

As regards the efficient life of spark plugs, whatever is fitted will of course gradually tail off in performance over many miles to a point where it becomes worthwhile replacing them even though they would be expected to function albeit less satisfactorily for considerably longer.  I have not checked whether the RX cars use the long life Denso iridium plugs or maybe the Atkinson cycle of the hybrid is harder on plugs but if these are fitted they are normally good for 100K+miles.  This raises the question of how advantageous it is to replace at 60K miles rather than at say 80K miles. This is a consideration for those that might not be concerned about following Lexus prescribed intervals.   https://www.densoproducts.com/learning-center/article/203/how-long-do-iridium-plugs-last

6 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Seems to me that you need to haggle and shop around for servicing.

If you look at the so called fixed price for a RX450h shown here, OP has only rounded up by £5 from what is shown here at £500 for the 40K mile service and it is the 60K one (with the spark plugs)  similarly rounded up to £750. https://www.motorline.co.uk/lexus/service-parts-offers/pricing/

I have no idea who or what 'Motorline' is, but the pricing that I showed above is from Lexus Teeside. That just happened to be where the car was for sale when we bought it and that's where I decided to take it for servicing because at the time there was no Lexus dealer in Preston.

3 hours ago, C Mclean said:

Here you go, have a look at this post and see if this way of changing the plugs is relevant to your model.

Is plug accessibility for cars referred to in respect of the quoted cars the same as for a RX450h though.? It may not affect plug accessibility but there are differences, the position of the service Battery for instance being shown beside the engine rather than in the boot so worth checking.

I managed to do the plug change on my RX450h. Its not easy, but its also not terrible. I used the video posted as a guide and took my time. No draining of coolant required. It feels like a lot of work when you start taking the wiper motor out, but that is easy and makes so much room, also it seems a bit much to take the inlet manifold off, but again makes the whole job so much easier. I did my one a while back, but I recon first time it will take about four hours total, it took me longer because I messed around cleaning all the inaccessible bits and bobs, like the tart I am! 

I did post some pictures before, so I will try and find  them again.

Go on give it a go, if I can manage it, anyone with a bit of spannering skill can!

• Like 2

• Here we go the original post from last year! 
  •  

Well I can't say this was easy, but today I replaced the spark plugs on my RX450h. It took me about six hours, having watched a You Tube video on the subject, I could have done it quicker but was having a good clean up as I reassembled  it. I think it would be a four hour job if you just got stuck in.

20180814_144320.jpg

20180814_142205.jpg

• Like 1

excellent post, good pics .... yes, feels like a Saturday job to me, plus taking the wife out for a meal, to apologies for an afternoon of blue language !....

The video looks methodical and feasible for the home, just works on the assumption the various plastic clips will behave.  (I just did a radiator on my 2012 IS200d and several plastic bits didn't like being disconnected..had to improvise a little)

I've always been uncomfortable with any dealer service, which is the reason why I started servicing my own cars back in the 90s.  I thought Lexus would be better, but they have lost my trust... a bigger shame given the premium you have to pay.

My only concern is if the local Toyota garage (good reputation) will take on the annual hybrid check.. keen to keep that warranty going!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links