Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am on the look out for a new luxury car and I today I came across a Lexus GS300 Sport. It is a 3.0 24Valve V6 Auto Black Model with was manufactured in 1997.

This car is full loaded with all the luxuries. It has 18" wheels, uprated suspension, cream leather...the works basically! This car also comes with a full Lexus service history with receipts and stamps to prove all. He said when I spoke to him on the phone that he just spent around £2500 on the last service with receipts to prove it.

There are only 2 downsides, there is a small crack in the near side front bumper, and the car has done 180000 motorway miles.

With bargaining I would probably pick this car up for around £3800.

Is this a good deal? is the mileage too high? What sort of things do I need to look out for? What shall i ask the owner?

Your advice as a new comer to a Lexus is much needed. I have to give the owner an answer tomorrow so please let me know what you think.

Many thanks

I spotted this car on eBay and looks exactly like mine... the price is right... not sure on the mileage though... but if you got the car for 3800 its still a good deal as these are 8k book price with 60-70k on them.

add a note that even if you got a new engine and had it fitted at a 3rd part garage you would still not have lost out.

mine has 90 odd K.. same age and looks the same... drive it and if the car has no knocks, squeaks (apart from leather) then the rest of the car is fine.

then concentrate on the engine.. get a AA report for sure

It is big time mileage, I would like to have seen new discs and shocks at somepoint in the history. Good price although you may have trouble selling it again with such high mileage.

You need to check for steering vibration under normal driving and braking. Any knocking when going over bumps. The Air con works and is nice and cold. Steering doesn't feel loose and the wheel returns to centre position when you come out of a turn.

Seems like a good buy at the price provided it is mechanically sound.

The last service bill should identify what sort of work was done.

If properly maintained the engine will easily cover 250,000 so you will easily get 5 years use out of it.

By the way it is a stright six and not a V6.

hmm.. well the front wheel was changed for MOT as the dealer had a bald tyres and the spare was brand new tyre... I take it the sport comes with 5 alloys?

I will take it to a really good place alled Protyre down here.. very advanced equipment to the cacky tyre places i have been too!...

180,000 miles ????

Bloody Hell!!! Where has it been? The Moon and back!!

I have an articualted lorry unit that has done 360,000 miles, but that's because it goes from Glasgow to Birmingham every night.

Has this guy had it long? If so, ask him why the high mileage.

If not, ask him why he's punting it?

Personally mate, I wouldn't buy any car with so many miles on the clock.

If you're really eager on a GS300 Sport, can't you just up your budget a little and get a lower mileage example.

It'd save you money in the long run.

Well, that's my tuppence worth anyway :winky:

i to saw this on eBay and thought about getting it.. but then thought it night be more trouble... have you seen it in the flesh.. have you had a go in it.. i personally would not buy it without doing any of this.. if it was running like new he would be selling it for more especially if he has just spent £2500 on the last service.. everybody has said the main things.. but with a car thats done that many miles i would imagine the front of the bonnet is peppered with stone chips.. my has a fair few which needs to be sorted and mines done 140k

It is big time mileage, I would like to have seen new discs and shocks at somepoint in the history. Good price although you may have trouble selling it again with such high mileage.

Apparently not, 7 bids and up to £3950 now.

Does it come with a "Captains Log" :lol:

I would not be put off by any of that. You could buy that same car blind after it had been clocked and pay a lot more for it. 180,000 miles wouldn't put me of any car. I sold my Citroen XM with 240,000+ on it. original engine and box with nothing more than one clutch and 2 timing belt changes. If the price is right just do it.

Citroen XM?

Now there's a car!! Can't fault your choice there, had one myself and loved it! That's why I want a GS, I don't wanna follow the BMW crowd!

Found a couple now, but gonna wait till my Avensis is sold, that way I have the cash and no trade in.

There's a few for sale in AutoTrader round the midlands, all with above 100k but some with FSH.

Don't suppose anyone has an owners manual in PDF format or similar for the mark 1. It would be nice to have a read of.