Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm looking to install a dashcam, where is the most convenient power cable to take a feed from? I want it to start up on ignition so I don't need to switch it on and off manually. I was hoping to take a feed and install a smart charger in the glove compartment but I'm not sure what's behind there.

thanks

This is the configuration of my driver's side fuse box.
406b3b4ef8d58b378c2f35ce25a3e257.jpg
The 7.5A one labelled OBD would probably be a good choice if your car is the same.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, J Henderson said:

The 7.5A one labelled OBD would probably be a good choice if your car is the same.

Maybe not IMHO.

The OBD socket has power to it permanently - those solar panel trickle chargers that plug into it wouldn't work otherwise. Better choice would be the Cig lighter or IGN I think.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

it's pretty easy to run a cable under the roof lining, down the passenger side windscreen pillar and if you pull off the endplate of the dashboard, you can fish the cable down behind the glovebox and then take a power tap from the fusebox just underneath the glovebox. The only wire you see is the short length that runs from the headlining to the dashcam

7 minutes ago, bobmc said:

The only wire you see is the short length that runs from the headlining to the dashcam

Yep, just like mine - this is indeed the only cable you see:

camcable1.jpg

camcable2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have mine wired into the rear view mirror.

I can't remember which wires i tapped into but there was a guide (I think on one of the US forums?) IMO it's way simpler than the other solutions.

I basically got one of these usb cigarette lighter power adapters, I soldered two wires onto it (positive and negative) and then pushed the exposed ends of those wires into the connection for the mirror.

It get's 12V perfectly all the time that the ignition is on and absolutely no messy cabling. Just make sure your wires aren't too long.

• 2 months later...

Genuine Lexus Front and Rear dashcam now available at Lexus Parts Direct!

only £249.00 in our BLACK FRIDAY sale.

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-lc/lexus-lc-2016-present/exterior-interior/lexus-nextbase-1080p-front-and-rear-integrated-dash-cam/

Use discount code: lovelexus for free shipping, exclusive to owners club members!

GBNGA-LEXDC-TP.png