Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High tax on is250 is it worth it now?

jackcramerr

As far as I am aware it goes up with the rate of inflation,my IS250 f sport was £280 in 2017,£290 in 2018 and £300 this year 😊

7 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

Tax on is250 increased again.. is it worth keeping is250 when modern car are 30 pound tax or zero tax in the case of hybrid.

Unfortunately more modern cars including hybrid Lexus are now being hit with higher tax. Unless you switch to something pre 2017 you are likely to be hardly any better off. All cars from April 2017 with a new list price in excess of £40,000 get clobbered with around an extra penalty  for the first 6 years of over £300 a year on top of the standard Rate 😭😭

8 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

Tax on is250 increased again.. is it worth keeping is250 when modern car are 30 pound tax or zero tax in the case of hybrid.

In my opinion yes. But with the exception of the £550+ band I pay no attention to the VED rate. I'll buy a car because I like it rather than what the annual road tax hit is. But if you just fancy a change then that's an entirely different discussion.

'Is it worth keeping' well it depends how much you love your 250! I'm over the moon with mine and the VED grits my 5h!t on all the cars I own as I can only use one at a time!

Paul m.

29 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

VED should be incorporated into fuel prices....

possibly, but the fuel costs are ridiculous nowadays anyway

The solution I have in my head is, tax on emissions and class of vehicle i.e flat rate of £0 for electric, £100 for everything else. Then add based on the size of the vehicle and its emissions. Of course, it probably wouldn't generate enough residue so the government would never allow it lol

When I was looking for a Lexus GS in early 2018, the prices of the 2.5V6 at the time undercut the hybrid typically by a minimum of £8000 on the Lexus site.

The ~£300 difference per year  in VED £305 vs £10 (intend to keep the car for 5 years) was relatively insignificant considering the price to buy. 

I only do 5k miles a year and get about 35mpg compared to a possible 45-50 one would get from a GS300h. It is a big pill to swallow is 3 to but the 6 cylinder unit is a gem.

As others mentioned VED increases based on inflation or more accurately CPI, I believe it was £285 when I bought the car. In grand scheme of things it is still minor expense for me. 

Overall, it is not true that new cars are cheaper to tax as there were only very short period of time ~2011-2017 where tax bands of £0-40 existed. from 2017 all cars are on flat £140 tax rate + £310 for first 3 years if your cars listing price was over £40k. And these rates has not increased further to £145 + £320. It seems electric cars are still £0 to tax, but ones like Tesla would be still hit with "over £40k tax".. although don't quote me on that as it is moving target. Point being - VED increase every year for old cars and even more for new cars- this is just a way it is. 

In terms of VED structure, I believe it should be part of fuel price as well i.e. the more you drive the more you pay, the less efficient your car is the more you pay. Nice self-adjusting structure, even caters for wear and tear on the engines etc. However, overall I believe that any VED or fuel duty should be directly linked to road improvements/investment. Now we are in stupid situation where last year goverment raised £37bn from motorists (VED+Duty only) and spend barely £4bn on road "improvements"... all the roads getting more an more neglected (at least around where I live) and I could not even make fun of that saying "roads here are now like in Eastern Europe"... because actually they are far worse.

@jackcramerr ... but you still allowed into the city (and will be for foreseeable future) whereas your friend would have to pay £12.50 surcharge every time. Obviously, subject to actually going into the city.

23 hours ago, rayaans said:

possibly, but the fuel costs are ridiculous nowadays anyway

The solution I have in my head is, tax on emissions and class of vehicle i.e flat rate of £0 for electric, £100 for everything else. Then add based on the size of the vehicle and its emissions. Of course, it probably wouldn't generate enough residue so the government would never allow it lol

This Govt hasn’t touched fuel tax duty , if you think petrol prices are high now , wait til Corbyn gets in , they will go sky high 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

Tax used to be 295, then they made it 305 and now 325.

While a friend has a 58 plate BMW diesel and pays 30 pounds. So lung cancer machine wins.

How can that be right ? , are you sure it isn’t £30 a month ? I had a 59 Jaguar, the Tax was £235 pa . 

Just recently renewed tax on 2014 IS300 h and was very pleased it was still on £10 .

makes up for the high servicing costs 

Edited by Dealkent
Add more details

4 hours ago, Dealkent said:

This Govt hasn’t touched fuel tax duty , if you think petrol prices are high now , wait til Corbyn gets in , they will go sky high 

Hes not getting in, so that won't happen. 

But I mean generally speaking, the fuel tax duty is ridiculous, and we pay VAT too. Fuel tax duty and VAT amount to more than the cost of actual fuel per liter which I always thought of as downright odd. 

Yes actual fuel currently costs something like 53p, it is "little bit ridiculous", that we not only double tax the fuel which then duplicates  itself (basically you add fuel duty and then apply VAT on top of both), we as well additionally pay 3rd tax (which is VED) and potentially 4th tax ( that is additional VED for over £40k cars)... YET none of this goes into the roads (at least 90%+ doesn't).

If goverment would be private company they would be charged by multiple authorities with filing and double counting taxes and effectively having no accountability of where it goes, as they are not I guess it is (not) fine....

And let's not make this political - Corbyn or Blo*job none of that matters, we are the issue, we need to start burning some trash dumpsters like French, preferably closer to the parliament, or even better set MPs homes on fire. That would do it. Btw that is not suggesting act of violence in public - just stating fact democracy does not exist in Britain.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 11:12 AM, Dealkent said:

How can that be right ? , are you sure it isn’t £30 a month ? I had a 59 Jaguar, the Tax was £235 pa . 

Just recently renewed tax on 2014 IS300 h and was very pleased it was still on £10 .

makes up for the high servicing costs 

It is right. My 56 IS250SE-L MM Manual (Sunroof) is currently £555 per annum. And no - I don't mind paying it at all because I waited 18 months in 2009 to get the car with the exact specification (manual, sunroof) I wanted, so a little thing like car tax wasn't going to get in my way. I bought her in 2010 from Lexus Guildford (Paul Care highly recommended) with 6.8k miles on the clock. 9 years later and I've added 81k to that total - and loved every mile in the process. I shall keep her until she drops - which is unlikely, by the way ! This is the amount I have paid in car tax since 2010 - worth every penny !!

Capture.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jackcramerr said:

And if it were a diesel you would have paid 300 pounds for the 10 years. So you would have 4579 yo buy another Lexus!!!

Confirmed from another VW driver with 09 plate. They pay 30 pounds a year. 

And if it were a push bike, I'd be even better off. You pays your money and you takes your choice. And as for buying a diesel ?! LOL

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...