Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low battery key

Dash occasionally and randomly displays message "Low Battery Key" (I can't remember the exact wording) when I switch the car off. 

The Battery in the keyfob was replaced about 6 months ago, and I disable the keyfob is disabled over night. The key is my trouser pocket when driving.

Has anyone experienced such problem, or could it just be that I got a duff Battery when it was replaced at the dealers?

Dan,

My experience with button cells is that they are sometimes exhausted when you get them. They do have a limited shelf life and you may get old stock.

However, 6 months is not good enough and a decent dealer should replace for nothing if the dealer is conveniently near. Good PR costs a lot more than a button cell.

If not, they can be bought on-line or elsewhere for about a £1 and then DIY. It is a very simple task although you will need a tiny screw driver.

John

Thanks John.

I am confident that my friendly dealer will replace the Battery at no cost: they have never charged me for replacement batteries in the past and I can't see why they would under the circumstances.

The reason for my post is that I was wondering whether this may be symptomatic of another problem that I am not aware of, especially because I use the car every day, but only get this message 2-3 times a week.

I wonder how power is drawing from the Battery everytime you disable and reactivate the fob? I understand for added security for disable the fob.
I did see somewhere completely turning your TV off and back on uses more power than on standby (as a comparison).

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

My wife's key Battery is low, is often in her handbag and we don't get the warning every time we start the engine.

I refreshed my Battery a while ago and never get the warning when its just me in the car.

I really must get around to swapping out her Battery before I regret it.

Probably a bad Battery to be honest. I cba going to the dealers for it so just ordered maxell ones which last well, had no issues. Only bought 2 though because they have a short expiry date but we have two Lexus so they get used up in 2 years anyway

15 hours ago, rayaans said:

Probably a bad battery to be honest. I cba going to the dealers for it so just ordered maxell ones which last well, had no issues. Only bought 2 though because they have a short expiry date but we have two Lexus so they get used up in 2 years anyway

Is it just a matter of swapping the Battery, or do you have to re-initialise windows etc?

EDIT: I have just checked the manual (online), and while it shows how to replace the Battery (CR2032), it does not mention anything about having to re-initialise the windows, etc. I'll assume that it's not required.

30 minutes ago, DanD said:

Is it just a matter of swapping the battery, or do you have to re-initialise windows etc?

EDIT: I have just checked the manual (online), and while it shows how to replace the battery (CR2032), it does not mention anything about having to re-initialise the windows, etc. I'll assume that it's not required.

Just a straight swap. Takes less than 30 seconds after you've done it once or twice

• Like 1

Coincidently I have found the same on my IS 300h - if the fob is in my right hand trouser pocket, usually also with my wallet, I occasionally get the low Battery key message. However, I can have it in a coat on the back seat and never get the warning - in the end I put it down to just that particular position and maybe the body shielding the signal - until I see the warning more frequently won't worry about changing the Battery yet.

• Like 1

Not to be condescending to everyone, but I don't really know what all the fuss is about with this issue.  Yes I agree that you can buy a dud Battery and they do have a shelf life so may not be fully charged when you buy them.  However, I just bought a pack of two CR2032 cell batteries from buyabattery.co.uk for the huge sum of £1.95 plus delivery, so £3.20 in total, and the Battery change took about 30 seconds per fob.

Check the link:

https://www.buyabattery.co.uk/vw-key-battery-3v-duracell-lithium-2032-cr2032-pack-of-2.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sheri1 said:

Not to be condescending to everyone, but I don't really know what all the fuss is about with this issue.  Yes I agree that you can buy a dud battery and they do have a shelf life so may not be fully charged when you buy them.  However, I just bought a pack of two CR2032 cell batteries from buyabattery.co.uk for the huge sum of £1.95 plus delivery, so £3.20 in total, and the battery change took about 30 seconds per fob.

Check the link:

https://www.buyabattery.co.uk/vw-key-battery-3v-duracell-lithium-2032-cr2032-pack-of-2.html

Maybe people just need an excuse to visit their dealership and have a free coffee, along with their free Battery replacement. While looking at the next car they plan to change to.. Or is that lexus's plan... 🤔 

On 7/19/2019 at 10:33 AM, sheri1 said:

Not to be condescending to everyone, but I don't really know what all the fuss is about with this issue.  Yes I agree that you can buy a dud battery and they do have a shelf life so may not be fully charged when you buy them.  However, I just bought a pack of two CR2032 cell batteries from buyabattery.co.uk for the huge sum of £1.95 plus delivery, so £3.20 in total, and the battery change took about 30 seconds per fob.

Check the link:

Fuss? Who is making a fuss?

I know that batteries have a shelf life. My question is straight forward, or at least I thought so: I get the warning "low battery", but only occasionally. All I want to know is whether it could be related to a bigger issue than the Battery, given that it was replaced less than 6 months ago.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links