Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My ls400 build thread (daily driver)

5 hours ago, Simoto said:

Ummmm, by the looks of it, yours looks to be more of a grey colour, and mine is more of a sand colour. 

Comfortable are those sheep, whatever the colour. 🙂  

Definitely, much nicer than leather.🐑

• Like 1

I like your build and I can see the effort you are putting to restore the car to its former glory.

I have always been  a stock original spec person, I cant help not to comment on the K&N air filter.

Cool air thats sucked in from the outside is more dense than warm air the K&N gets inside the hot engine bay

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 12:38 AM, amazighman said:

I like your build and I can see the effort you are putting to restore the car to its former glory.

I have always been  a stock original spec person, I cant help not to comment on the K&N air filter.

Cool air thats sucked in from the outside is more dense than warm air the K&N gets inside the hot engine bay

Yes I’m aware of the consequences of using Air filters such as the K&N. What I’ve been aiming for is a experimental conclusion.

I have first, mounted the Filter directly on, without any cold air feed, to find out what this does to acceleration and fuel economy.

And  my conclusions are that as predicted and as you have stated, there is too much hot air being drawn into the filter, which gives an almost heat soak affect, like seen on turbos. So acceleration and response are awful to say the least.

I then opted to add back the cold air feed from the air box. So from the grill which connects up to the original filter.

Once fitted and tested for about 10 miles or so the ECU had compensated for the change really nicely, and the acceleration and response felt like normal. I even used this setup on a 500 mile round trip, and the fuel economy was close to original, with around 30 mpg mainly on motorways. 

So my next step is to either try to enclose the filter more or add more cold feed lines. 

As ive said before if I can encourage the aftermarket more, and create bigger interest, then more people and tuning company’s , aftermarket parts and the like will start to give more attention to the LS. It would be nice to find quality parts that match the original, without having to source from Dealers and Japan every time.

• 2 weeks later...

So we’re now getting to that point of POWERRRRR!!!

I’ve been looking at a few options that I could go down.

so the typical ones are turbo charging and super charging. But I’ve always been a sucker for IRTB’S or (individual racing throttle bodies) 

now with the engine being the non VVTI, this is fine, but, but, but..........., it’s expensive, and a pain to tune, and you don’t get the same kind of power gains as with turbos and superchargers. But I love the idea of an NA V8 pulsing under the hood.

E16287AD-6E93-426B-B7FE-965376D7313A.png

9D581447-A865-4268-9E9B-6420E53E9B13.png

2E343C91-7859-45BB-AF60-6044043DBC4D.png

116443E6-DBA9-44A0-9970-56E5AD42F001.jpeg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links