Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Express Review.

Well I must say that just scanning the highlights my gast has well and truly been flabbered. Lexus UX 1st place with 4 stars and BMW X2 2nd place with 3.5 stars. But then again, did I not read something about the BMW being a mix with another manufacturer.

5 hours ago, C Mclean said:

Well I must say that just scanning the highlights my gast has well and truly been flabbered. Lexus UX 1st place with 4 stars and BMW X2 2nd place with 3.5 stars. But then again, did I not read something about the BMW being a mix with another manufacturer.

I can't find the review on the AutoExpress website. Is there a link or was this in the hard copy edition only?

The new CarWow review really irritated me. Yet again we have the 'floor the throttle and listen to the drone' lazy journalism. I've owned Lexus eCVT cars for over two years and have NEVER had to accelerate like that. Surely done for effect - which is just an example of poor journalistic standards. Mind you, I consider myself to be a civilised driver...you know, obey speed limits, read the road, don't drive like a plonker. Maybe I'm the one who is wrong?!

CarWow Lexus UX

• Like 2

After watching most of CarWow's Lexus reviews, I can confidently say he's very biased toward German brands and does not like CVT hybrids. I also saw the UX review and was equally irritated. He always focuses on the CVT drone when flooring the throttle, yet this is something you rarely ever do, and something he rarely does when reviewing non hybrids. It truly is irritating to see such blatant biased journalism. He also went on to say the UX was not fun to drive, yet most other reviews state that the driving experience is one of its best qualities, and one of the best CVTs around. Also, Mr.Watson clearly has no idea how to best drive a hybrid, as his quick and dirty fuel economy tests always fall short by about 10mpg average that I've been able to achieve in our Lexus hybrids. 

Rant aside, the UX definitely has problems, poor boot space and rear leg room, and the crappy infotainment system that God only knows why Lexus continue to pursue. However, despite all this I believe it's still a good car, very advanced propulsion system, great fuel economy and quite fun to drive. 

• Like 2

The problem is that its propulsion system isn't advanced enough. It's very much in a similar price bracket to the kia e-niro which is much more advanced, significantly faster, way more refined and is more practical in terms of cabin space and boot space. Yes, you'd hope and expect that the Lexus is better built and with higher quality materials, but given the warranty on the Kia it's not likely to prove problematic.

The rumoured UX300e can not come fast enough. 

• Like 1

It's a bit unfair to compare a ICE hybrid to a pure EV as EVs right now do have serious draw backs with regards to range, charge times and infrastructure, they are very different class of car. What I meant to say was that for an ICE hybrid, the UX is quite advanced in terms of fuel economy and performance and has one of the most efficient naturally aspirated engines at 40% thermal efficiency. 

I do completely agree with you though on the topic of Lexus being way too late to market with an EV, this has been a huge mistake by Lexus, just too slow to change! I understand the Toyota/Lexus argument that they are doing more for emmisions by selling millions of hybrids over tens of thousands of pure EVs (simply not enough batteries to go around). However, they should by now at least provide the option of a few EVs, even if supply is limited. It would keep them current and competitive, and show they are still a market leader. If they keep up their stubborn stance on EVs, then Toyota/Lexus could be seriously left behind in a few years and hurting dearly as a brand...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LordByronUK said:

It's a bit unfair to compare a ICE hybrid to a pure EV as EVs right now do have serious draw backs with regards to range, charge times and infrastructure, they are very different class of car. What I meant to say was that for an ICE hybrid, the UX is quite advanced in terms of fuel economy and performance and has one of the most efficient naturally aspirated engines at 40% thermal efficiency. 

I do completely agree with you though on the topic of Lexus being way too late to market with an EV, this has been a huge mistake by Lexus, just too slow to change! I understand the Toyota/Lexus argument that they are doing more for emmisions by selling millions of hybrids over tens of thousands of pure EVs (simply not enough batteries to go around). However, they should by now at least provide the option of a few EVs, even if supply is limited. It would keep them current and competitive, and show they are still a market leader. If they keep up their stubborn stance on EVs, then Toyota/Lexus could be seriously left behind in a few years and hurting dearly as a brand...

You do realise that Lexus tend to test their vehicles more than any other manufacturer for reliability right? Its not a case of lets build it and hope it does OK, then we'll sort it out later if anything goes wrong. 

Look at the Audi e-tron - already having issues, clearly shows not much testing was done before it was released.

I believe Lexus test their vehicles over 1 million miles before they're released.

Yes this is true, and it's exactly why I'm on my third Lexus. No one can argue build quality and reliability, and that's another reason Lexus cars cost what they do. I also understand that Lexus and Toyota have an aversion to lithium ion batteries, for the very reason of longevity and reliability issues, and I do kinda agree on this stance. Better to skip lithium ion altogether and hold tight for solid state. 

However, with all that said, some of my frustrations still stand. Lexus could offer more alternatives (more engine choices in the UK, even an NX plugin would be nice) and also listen to their critics/customers a bit more. Their infotainment systems are simply not good enough, and it irritates me that they're willing to pump loads of money into things like hover boards and yachts, yet can't make big improvements to their infotainment software/interface, very frustrating... No apple car play or Android auto yet in the UK, I mean seriously come on!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LordByronUK said:

Yes this is true, and it's exactly why I'm on my third Lexus. No one can argue build quality and reliability, and that's another reason Lexus cars cost what they do. I also understand that Lexus and Toyota have an aversion to lithium ion batteries, for the very reason of longevity and reliability issues, and I do kinda agree on this stance. Better to skip lithium ion altogether and hold tight for solid state. 

However, with all that said, some of my frustrations still stand. Lexus could offer more alternatives (more engine choices in the UK, even an NX plugin would be nice) and also listen to their critics/customers a bit more. Their infotainment systems are simply not good enough, and it irritates me that they're willing to pump loads of money into things like hover boards and yachts, yet can't make big improvements to their infotainment software/interface, very frustrating... No apple car play or Android auto yet in the UK, I mean seriously come on!!

Some of this information is quite outdated. 

apple carplay and Android auto are now available on the facelifted RX and is expected to roll out across the range. This was due to eu licensing issues. 

All new models will be going back to touchscreens with the availability of the touch pad. I suspect eventually the touch pad will be removed entirely. 

• 1 year later...

I don't think the criticism of CarWow is entirely warranted. The fact is that a lot of people don't like CVTs, and they have a terrible reputation caused by years of sub-standard performance. I've found that they become less irritating and noisy to use the more powerful the drivetrain behind them is, and the 180bhp in the 4th-gen system is sufficiently meaty that you don't spend very long sitting at a single engine speed, regardless of how hard you stamp the accelerator pedal. Would I turn my nose up at 250bhp? Certainly not - but my priority for my daily-driver was smooth, efficient progress at real-world speeds mated to quality, luxury, and reliability. A grumbly diesel engine with a crude start/stop system wouldn't have worked for me here.

If you're someone who regularly drives with their foot buried, then a UX250h or any CVT-based car is unlikely to suit. A journalists' job is to highlight the weaknesses of any car, so that prospective buyers can decide whether or not those weaknesses are ones that would affect them personally. Those of us who gave our money to Lexus clearly don't mind - or in my case even prefer - the current eCVT solution when compared to a traditional automatic, but we also have to accept that not everybody will have the same priorities as us.

Nick

• Like 1

Has anyone seen the recent CARWOW review of small electric cars with Mr W acting as if he wishes to join the Top Gear crew. He is spending large amounts of time looking straight at the camera and taking his eyes off the road and telephoning his colleagues in competing vehicles to find out if they have used all of their car`s Battery power. Then he laughs when their car dies in dangerous places. And he stupidly drives his own test car to its death and makes a big joke of it.

It is compelling viewing for wannabe owners of electric vehicles. I`ll remain with my e-cvt Lexus, thank you.

28 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Has anyone seen the recent CARWOW review of small electric cars with Mr W acting as if he wishes to join the Top Gear crew. He is spending large amounts of time looking straight at the camera and taking his eyes off the road and telephoning his colleagues in competing vehicles to find out if they have used all of their car`s battery power. Then he laughs when their car dies in dangerous places. And he stupidly drives his own test car to its death and makes a big joke of it.

It is compelling viewing for wannabe owners of electric vehicles. I`ll remain with my e-cvt Lexus, thank you.

found it.  

I quite enjoy the CarWow videos, but then I also very much enjoy Top Gear and would love to move to an electric car when the performance/range/price improve. So maybe I'm the target audience? I'll admit that I didn't notice him looking away from the road overmuch, but I also wasn't looking for it. I know I can't do that safely, but it's probably something that most video-based reviewers do.

I actually think it's important consumer information to find out exactly how far these cars can go, especially when some of them can go a lot further than even the on-board computers believe is possible. Without this sort of independent research we'd be stuck trusting the official figures. I think it would actually be great if similar tests were done with ICE-based vehicles - it would discourage manufacturers from continuing to game the system and providing unrealistic fuel economy figures.

Still, sounds like his stuff isn't your cup of tea, which is totally fine, and completely understandable.

Nick

• Like 2

On 11/30/2020 at 9:53 AM, royoftherovers said:

Has anyone seen the recent CARWOW review of small electric cars with Mr W acting as if he wishes to join the Top Gear crew. He is spending large amounts of time looking straight at the camera and taking his eyes off the road and telephoning his colleagues in competing vehicles to find out if they have used all of their car`s battery power. Then he laughs when their car dies in dangerous places. And he stupidly drives his own test car to its death and makes a big joke of it.

Yes John i have to agree I've driven an automatic for a while now and without any shadow of a doubt the e-cvt is infinitely superior. Lexus have spent a lot of time and money with research to get the excellent product it is. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links