Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Standard Mk1 Gs Upgrade To Sport Spec

I have been slowly upgrading my standard 1995 (68,000miles) GS to sport spec.

I plan to keep the car for a few years yet.

I have lowered it to correct spec, added correct boot spoiler and applied sport decals in right places.

I am going to bit the bullit and buy a sport grille as I have yet to find one second hand. I would also like to get a pair of 10" sport rear wheels.

Am I mad or will this be money well spent?

Would the grand or so that it will cost be better spent elsewhere on other mods?

Help me make up my mind.

I think the sport mods transform the car. Well worth doing. You can always sell the mods in the future and get some of your money back.

Don't think I would bother with the 10" rears - don't see the point. It's not as if the engine is so powerful you need the extra traction and I think could do other mods for the money to improve the handling.

A new set of 4 standard sports wheels just ended on eBay for £630

I did bid for the wheelson eBay when price was sticking at around £300 aday or so ago.

At £150+ per wheel seems more expensive than cost from Lexus.

I was lucky and got mine off a wrecked sport but they now need a refurb.

I do like the look of the 10" wide rears but tend to agree that £500 or thereabouts for a cosmetic mod is a bit pricey.

Looks like it will be the grille for now.

I do think the sport looks good but i dont think its worth going all out for a complete conversion.. maybe its because i cant afford it..lol (he states after looking at body kits..lol) i am so tempted.. if my car was imaculate with low mileage i would be even more tempted

i think converting it to a Sport is not worth it. Either sell your existing one and get a Sport, or do only the mods you like. You will never get your 'investment' back.

I rather would try to personalize my car.

Also, if you opt for the wider rims, prepare to accept that your mileage will go down with approx. 10%, that was what happened to me when I changed my rears from 235/17/45 to 265/18/35. (the fronts are unchanged).

PS I am working on a GS300 MK1 mesh grille, can anyone post some good close-up pics of the GS300 Sports grille :)

i think it is money well spent and you can sell it as a sport as it is not stated on the log book. i was told a lot of dealers converted them at port of entry so as long as you use lexus parts i can not see the difference .

They are all converted at port of entry - series I and series II. They come out of Japan as SE models. This is why they cost so much more, you basically pay for two grills, two sets of wheels etc.

I did bid for the wheelson Ebay when price was sticking at around £300 aday or so ago.

At £150+ per wheel seems more expensive than cost from Lexus.

I was lucky and got mine off a wrecked sport but they now need a refurb.

I do like the look of the 10" wide rears but tend to agree that £500 or thereabouts for a cosmetic mod is a bit pricey.

Looks like it will be the grille for now.

i was bidding aswell.................went to 530 ended up at 600+

how much from lexus then ?

Keith

Mine was a blag sport. It looked the part and I would certainly do it all over again. We are talkin modifying class here, not cheap and cheerful trash. Its your cash, your car, your choice. I would just do it and enjoy it. Im up for another one providing no one waves a another genuine tidy white tax exempt man/od Stag at me........anyone?

:offtopic: Mudz.

Stags used to go wrong back in the seventies and early eighties. Those original v8 motors are really sought after now. most of the converted cars are bein changed back to original spec.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links