Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Carbon cleaning for my 2008 is250

Hi all, 

Thinking of getting giving my Lexus a carbon clean, just wanted to what the general thoughts on this, best method to go for, if any? My car is just coming up to 90000 miles on the clock, I am sure that I have read, that it is advisable to have this done, so over to you guys.

Thanks 

Paul 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

What problems are you experiencing?

Hi NemesisUK

Not having any problems, as far as I know, several threads on different sites recommending getting it done, as the engines are prone to the carbon build up, only had the car for 10 months, so not sure if the car is performing as it should, as I have nothing to compare it to. Was hoping for advice from owners that have had their cars for a while and may have had it done! Thanks

Paul

To be honest I advise to not to do it unless you have particular problem. I have done hydrogen cleaning in the past and found no noticeable difference (maybe except some placebo). Generally, you should do carbon cleaning if you failing emissions tests i.e. you have high emissions before tests, after test they should drop. In my case all emissions were 0 before tests (below the measurable scale) and stayed the same after the test - so I don't know if it even worked. 

In mean time better invest into oil catch can and only do carbon cleaning when you have issue like described above.

• Like 1

No doubt the sites where you saw that people had it done were US ones. For some reason it seems more prevalent there - no-one seems to know why - maybe fuel, maybe oil, maybe engine settings???

I don't think there has ever been a report on here of actual proof of carbon build up on an IS250 engine in UK.

As others have said above, don't get it done unless you experience problems.

Incidentally there is an article in this month's Car Mechanics about GDI engines (like ours). Carbon build up is obviously a problem even in UK for some GDI engines (Non-Lexus - lots of makes have GDI engines these days). The clean up cure usually recommended is walnut shell blasting.

There is also a comprehensive feature in CM about EGR valves - all you wanted to know! (Heads up diesel drivers!)

• Like 2

US fuel is considered inferior, not necessary due to Octane because they just use different grading system, but overall quality, less additives, cleaners lower quality control (heck it is 1/3rd the price). Secondly, they do much more miles - like mine 188k is more of exception here, where in US that would be around average. 

Thank you to all of you who commented and advised me on the carbon cleaning, I have decided not to go head with the cleaning, but I am looking into getting the a oil catch can fitted, out of interest, can anyone point me in the right direction of the place to buy one and also best place to fit it? Thank you all again for the comments and advice. Paul

• Like 1

Paul, I fitted once of these for the best part of a year and it worked really well. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/27010123600

It's almost a Mishimoto copy but much cheaper and surprisingly well made.

I may put it back on at some point as it did separate a fair bit moisture (cooler days) and oil vapours.

The installation was tight and I ended up running it right around to the front on the engine.  You may find it easier without all the hybrid gubbins in the engine bay.

Get yourself several meters of non compressible hose and a few fittings then you'll be good to go.

Reduces/prevents oil getting passed into your inlet and adhering to the back of your valves, which is getting more common with direct injection engines.

Some vehicles still have a set of injectors at the inlet manifold e.g. GS450h so they help to keep the valves clean.

Oil get into your inlet via the crank case breather, along with moisture from cold starts.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had my car carbon cleaned every year and can say that my car runs very smooth and very responsive. For £60 it’s worth doing as the guy comes to you and take 30 mins. 

You can see all the black smoke coming out as he revs the engine every 10mins.

when I am idling there is no shake and feels like the engine of off. I love it!

On 9/30/2019 at 11:25 PM, Ishaq said:

It’s £60 for first car then £30 for every other car so worth getting two or three done at same time:

Green Engine Carbon Clean

Lee - 07504 036807

On 9/30/2019 at 11:23 PM, Ishaq said:

I had my car carbon cleaned every year and can say that my car runs very smooth and very responsive. For £60 it’s worth doing as the guy comes to you and take 30 mins. 

You can see all the black smoke coming out as he revs the engine every 10mins.

when I am idling there is no shake and feels like the engine of off. I love it!

Interesting, I had given up on the idea of having the cleaning done, but now you renewed my interest!

• Like 1