Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d 2006, Blue smoke, no power, high fuel consumption

titan95

Bought a used Lexus is 220d 2006 almost a year ago, car has  200,000km, however i was told by the seller that the engine was replaced and has gone only 100,000km ish.
Since i bought it car had problems, under 2000 rpm, the car has no power in a straigh road until it reaches 2000-2100 rpm then sudden power comes, i googled and some people say its normal turbo lag for this lexus model, but i dont think so since even a moped can accelerate faster then me, when im 2nd gear in 1000rpm and i floor the pedal it takes around 6-10 seconds for it to reach 2000rpm in a straigh line, is this normal for a 177hp vehicle, and the second issue i have is blue smoke from exhaust, it only smokes when in gear and car under pressure ( uphill , acceleration ) BUT if im in neutral and accelerate it, no smoke comes out.
if stopped while the car is smoking after uphill or accelerating the car will keep smoking for a minute and it smells very bad, dont know what it smells like but closest thing i can think of is burned rubber.
i should also mention that sometimes for what ever reason it doesnt smoke when accelerating or going uphill, i was thinking it could be when engine temp is high but it cant be the reason since it does smoke even when  its high  temp on engine when it wants to, so i dont know what it is.

. if someone has any idea or knows what it could be please let me know.

How much is the engine-oil consumption? Blue smoke is burned engine oil, that explains the burned rubber smell.

About the high fuel consumption, did you check the airfilter?

I suggest begin with reading out the eobd.

21 minutes ago, Vagtech said:

How much is the engine-oil consumption? Blue smoke is burned engine oil, that explains the burned rubber smell.

About the high fuel consumption, did you check the airfilter?

I suggest begin with reading out the eobd.

Dashboard shows from 15l/100km upto 20l/100km fueld consumption, Airfilter is changed.
I check my engine oil frequently, seems to be same level everytime so its either not burning oil or it is very little, but is there a reason it only burns when under pressure ? it does not smoke when in neutral at all.

Seams like leaking fuel injectors if it's not burning oil.

Fuel consumption like yours is not normal for a diesel.

Just read out de OBD or let someone do it for you.

Hi is there any chance that the moderators could move this thread to the right category as it belongs in the IS 220/250 (mark 2) section and will most likely get a better viewing and response there many thanks 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links