Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quicksilver fitting

Further to my recent post re Quicksilver & warranty, I bought a new rear section from Quicksilver and had it fitted at Lexus Stockport this morning. I am delighted with the appearance and sound - what a noise! First impressions are that it's best in the 2 k to 3.5 k rev range under acceleration, but so quiet on a steady or trailing throttle - perfect for everyday use. No intrusion at all when cruising on the motorway.

The dealership did however expect it come with new fixing bolts and springs, but all I received was two exhaust rear sections. They advised it is fine for now and there's a good seal where it bolts onto the main exhaust system, but that it may start to blow in a few months and to keep my ear open.

To those on here that bought new, did the exhaust come with fixings?

32 minutes ago, BlueJ said:

Further to my recent post re Quicksilver & warranty, I bought a new rear section from Quicksilver and had it fitted at Lexus Stockport this morning. I am delighted with the appearance and sound - what a noise! First impressions are that it's best in the 2 k to 3.5 k rev range under acceleration, but so quiet on a steady or trailing throttle - perfect for everyday use. No intrusion at all when cruising on the motorway.

The dealership did however expect it come with new fixing bolts and springs, but all I received was two exhaust rear sections. They advised it is fine for now and there's a good seal where it bolts onto the main exhaust system, but that it may start to blow in a few months and to keep my ear open.

To those on here that bought new, did the exhaust come with fixings?

Hi John

I purchased mine second hand from Dav and installed it myself. I used the stock springs (after cleaning them up), but purchased bolts, nuts and washers. Dav kindly supplied fixings with the exhaust, but I switched them out for 10mm bolts for a better fit. The bolts I used were longer than stock due to the increase flange thickness vs the OEM exhaust. I did however use the stock bolts to determine the spring length when fastening the exhaust together.  I also used additional nuts as locking nuts to ensure the bolts wouldn't work loose.

Just to be sure I got my mechanic friend to give it a once over and he was happy with fixings and he gave it 👍

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

My old Quicksilver exhaust is famous. It came from Sarah Beeny’s shed! That’s the truth!

Who's Sarah Beeny?

2 hours ago, Flytvr said:

My old Quicksilver exhaust is famous. It came from Sarah Beeny’s shed! That’s the truth!

The only Lexus with tips that get bigger in the cold?

• Haha 1

They should have cut the threads to accept the standard bolts and springs.

mine and a couple others had coarse thread. Think lexus use m10 1.25 iirc. QS cut 1.5 again iirc.

Lexus put some piddly cheap thin bolts through with washers as a quick fix.

I made a bolt through kit for mine and a couple others that retained the springs but QS insisted that the springs aren't required. Personally I prefer to have them there as there is no downside. Any downside of not being there would reveal itself eventually.

I didn't want to retap threads in stock pipe as I like to keep the path to downgrade as easy as possible.

Sent from my BV5800 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Comedian said:

mine and a couple others had coarse thread. Think lexus use m10 1.25 iirc. QS cut 1.5 again iirc.

I made a bolt through kit for mine and a couple others that retained the springs but QS insisted that the springs aren't required. Personally I prefer to have them there as there is no downside. Any downside of not being there would reveal itself eventually.

I didn't want to retap threads in stock pipe as I like to keep the path to downgrade as easy as possible.

Told you he was a genius. From that post, he speaks foreign languages as well 😜

Told you he was a genius. From that post, he speaks foreign languages as well [emoji12]
If mechanics are geniuses then ww3 has already happened :D

You could just program a robot to do it cheaper than me anyway ha ha

This thread has just reminded me that I'd better order a spare set of standard exhaust bolts as I had to cut a different thread to fit a flanged nut then and secondary nut to secure it.

Can't imagine anyone wanting to buy the car without the Quicksilver when I come to sell it, but you never know someone may wish to have the standard exhaust.

13 hours ago, Comedian said:

Thanks @Comedian

I purchased the correct nuts (local engineering wholesalers) to use with the standard lexus bolts, but was still unable to use the stock bolts due to their length.

Fortunately stock exhaust and bolts are stored in my shed and can easily be refitted if required.

Interesting QS confirms the springs aren't required, I made sure they were fitted after reading a few horror stories on the web re cracked exhausts after being without them.

• Like 1

Standard bolts torque down onto the mating pipe. No way to fit a nut.

I used aerotight nuts which are split and twisted to give a heat proof lock.e076314f075be1eaaaa3972b043ac8c3.jpg

On 7/23/2019 at 7:37 PM, Comedian said:

Standard bolts torque down onto the mating pipe. No way to fit a nut.

I used aerotight nuts which are split and twisted to give a heat proof lock.e076314f075be1eaaaa3972b043ac8c3.jpg

I've just realised I might as well re-cut (tap) the existing welded nuts on the standard exhaust rather than buying new bolts I'm guessing there is enough 'meat' to re-cut.

Just did a check today and nothing has moved or come loose on my flange nut and secondary nut setup.