Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water Pump: 2013 RX 450h

10 minutes ago, Lager shandy said:

This herbie I've looked online and can't find an electric water pump for the engine only the inverter assembly ? And all other listing are for a belt driven type.

Well there you go - every day is a school day! That's why I love forums like this, because there's always something new to learn.

I suppose looking at it logically the coolant only needs to flow when the engine is working so it can be belt-driven. No point in squirting water around the system when the engine isn't working so no need for an electric water pump.

Cheers Alan :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Mind you herbie a easy to reach compact electric water pump could be situated in a easy reach position similar to a few BMW I've seen online. Water pumps too be honest should last to at least 150k modern bearings and seals with there long life coolant . Just a after thought never put screen wash fluid in your cooling system as you won't have a thermostat left or water pump internals lol 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

If only life were that simple :rolleyes1:

It's a completely different engine and a completely different set up. The RX350 is a petrol engine and the water pump is belt driven from the engine.

Because the engine doesn't run all the time in a hybrid nothing can be belt-driven, so the water pump in a 450h is electrically operated. Different engine, different pump, different orientation, different everything.

So - - - - I guess it's a question of: "Go with the flow" then?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi everyone,

Having gone through the experience  I prefer to accept Herbie's post of 31st July as the most authoritative and the only one which, having paid the bill, gives me any solace.

Herbie, belated thanks!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 7:13 PM, Herbie said:

Believe it or not, I can see why it takes 11 hours!

According to the workshop manual, the whole engine, hybrid transaxle and a whole host of other stuff has to be removed!

Looking at the screenshot below, Step No. 99 is to lift out the engine and transaxle assembly. Given that, I think they maybe made a mistake in giving Ian a price of £395.

2019-07-31.thumb.png.9d687c7c3c0f3baf29b35a28e4046d20.png

I think on my wife's RX350 it took 9...

• Like 1

Well this subject has been interesting being as it's not covered under lexus warranty or the extended warranty if I'm told by lexus your water pump needs changing ,I shall do the job myself being an engineer the only pain is not having access to a ramp so axle stands and jacks it will have to be . I will give you the true labour hrs involved . 

20 minutes ago, Lager shandy said:

Well this subject has been interesting being as it's not covered under lexus warranty or the extended warranty if I'm told by lexus your water pump needs changing ,I shall do the job myself being an engineer the only pain is not having access to a ramp so axle stands and jacks it will have to be . I will give you the true labour hrs involved . 

Who said it was not covered Alan ?

How many water pumps have been replaced within 3 years 60k  age is immaterial really as the extended warranty did not cover the guy starting this thread with only 45 k on his engine . They just love wear and tear the water pump is designed to last a set time it has a correctly tensioned belt no over tension issue and long life coolant it not leaking past a faulty seal so the bearing is failing prematurely. I used to work on toyota 25 years ago and this type of crap would never happen with lexus . 

On 8/28/2019 at 8:09 PM, Lager shandy said:

.....the extended warranty did not cover the guy starting this thread with only 45 k on his engine .

Just to be clear, this is not  the position.  My car is to go back in 6 months for a further assessment at which time we will see what the outcome is.

38 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Just to be clear, this is not yet the position.  My car is to go back in 6 months for a further assessment at which time we will see what the outcome is.

Spot on Ian.

Alan seems to misunderstand the point of my question and the status your claim.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

By way of update, my car went back last week for a further inspection after 6 months, as instructed, and it is now with Lexus Derby again to have the water pump replaced under the extended warranty, no quibble, no problem.  Current mileage is just over 50k.

They do, however, want it for 2 days. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Herbie said:

Great news Ian.

Needing the car for two days does imply that the 11 hours quoted is correct.

My 2017 model had the water pump replaced before I purchased it under manufacturers warranty. The car was in stock for sale and the paperwork shows prices without Vat of water pump at £115 and labour of £765. Therefore with VAT an eye watering£1065..Car had only covered 24000 miles. 

Makes the cost of an extended warranty look exceptional value. 

Interestingly out of 4 Lexus owned this is the 2nd (to my knowledge) to have had a water pump under  manufacturers warranty 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Herbie said:

and maybe a super dooopa valet ?:yes:

Malc

I hope these issues are really really exceptional coz if not then where on earth has the Lexus seal of quality vanished to 

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Given the state of the roads just recently, it was so filthy I wouldn't have wanted to work on the car unless it got a good wash first.  

1 hour ago, Malc said:

I hope these issues are really really exceptional coz if not then where on earth has the Lexus seal of quality vanished to 

Likewise, I was very surprised that a car with 50k on the clock needed such a repair.  The fact that a 2017 RX at 24k miles had needed a water pump does make me wonder whether there is an inherent weakness there.  

Add in the recent airbag recall on my SC which was done in December, and I have seen a lot of Lexus Derby recently and drunk a lot of their coffee without paying them anything, although I am conscious that Lexus UK will have paid them for all the works.

2 hours ago, Malc said:

Malc

Well Malc Lexus has just wiped the floor in Whatcar Reliability Survey 2019, with Toyota and Suzuki (Toyota Associate), and that is quite an exceptional result. As often happens here, a few reported faults gives a totally disproportionate impression, but  it would appear that Lexus have honoured their liabilities. It is often the case that the smart manufactures spot problems in advance and deal with faulty components when the vehicle is in for service, often without the owner knowing. That is the world we live in today, but I don’t think a few water pumps are ‘really really exceptional’ to be honest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RgrWynne said:

Well Malc Lexus has just wiped the floor in Whatcar Reliability Survey 2019, with Toyota and Suzuki (Toyota Associate), and that is quite an exceptional result. As often happens here, a few reported faults gives a totally disproportionate impression, but  it would appear that Lexus have honoured their liabilities. It is often the case that the smart manufactures spot problems in advance and deal with faulty components when the vehicle is in for service, often without the owner knowing. That is the world we live in today, but I don’t think a few water pumps are ‘really really exceptional’ to be honest.

I agree.  Internet forums do give a very distorted view of the world.  The fact that it's all been sorted with minimal fuss is the main thing.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2020 at 11:45 AM, Herbie said:

11.7 hours, according to the invoice they have sent to the warranty company.  Plus £151 for the pump and £26 for coolant.  Plus VAT, obviously. 

That 2 year extended warranty has paid for itself. 

• Like 3