Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm thinking about changing my plugs. I believe that they were replaced by Bristol Lexus as 58k and I've now passed the 130k mark, however the car is still running well with a real average of 33 mpg which hasn't changed during my ownership. Should I soldier on for a another 10 or 20k? Your thoughts appreciated.

Hi @Fishboy if you need spark plugs for your car, you can get them here at discounted rates and delivered to your door. Genuine parts available at discounted prices.

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-is/lexus-is-phase-ii-2006-2013/lexus-is-2006-2013-engine-service-kits/lexus-is-phase-2-spark-plugs-2-5-petrol/

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 9:46 PM, Fishboy said:

Are they Nippon Denso or NGK?

Denso

Sparkplugs.thumb.jpg.5ee61dc25fad6475a05d2060a4cf0fa6.jpg

Same dilemma. Bought a set, with the intention of changing them, but car is running perfect (and not quite yet at 60K anyway), so I'll leave them for now.

Does anyone know of any issue in removing the plugs - my IS is 13 years old and almost at 37k miles. Is there a stipulation in the service for these where the car reaches a certain age and they are done or is it 60k and they are done. It has a full Lexus service history up to 2017 at 25k miles

So at 12 years when i bought it woudl the plugs have been changed under the service requirements or does it actually have to get to 60k until Lexus woudl change them. I am just wondering with the age of the car and them possibly not being replaced would they have rusted in place it at all possible?

Nothing wrong with it, just a question regarding the possibilities

Just a simple question for you to answer with the heat,expansion and contraction within the engine would you keep the same spark plugs in an engine for 12 years??,I definitely wouldn't 

Service schedule states 60k miles OR 6 years (whichever comes first) so if it has got FLSH for more than 6 years from new then plugs should have been done at 6 year service regardless of miles done ( mine was done at 6 years and at the time this was 22,337miles!)

note, you used to be able to get pretty detailed historic Service info on the ‘My Lexus’ app but it seems to have gone!

paul m.

DE4D2069-3265-4F8B-8DE7-5A05E604769E.png

I wouldn't worry about problems in changing the plugs. Some fasteners are a bit inaccessible, but it's an easy job. There will be no issues in removing the plugs when you get to them (and you can get to 4 of them with minimum dismantling - it's the two under the airbox which need its fiddly removal).

My plugs were in for 12 years and 66K miles. I noticed no change with the new plugs (which are Denso IKBH20TT - the current spec by Denso for IS250 plugs and much cheaper than the originally recommended FK20HBR11) The new ones have been in for about 8K miles now with no problems.

You may or may not need new gaskets for the airbox - i bought them and because they were to hand used them, but it really wasn't necessary to replace them but it might be different at higher mileage.

I wrote a guide to the job - I think the thread is called 'Spark Plug replacement again' - about a year ago.

Toyota branded plugs are Denso FK20HBR11

• Like 1

Here you go:

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/116346-spark-plug-replacement-again/

I was wrong in that guide about the original plugs being platinum - I think they are in fact iridium but with an additional platinum pad on the centre electrode. The IKBH20TT ones are 'new technology' iridium TT spec - a more advanced design (they also include platinum). The claimed service life of TT plugs is 120K km (72K miles)

https://www.denso-am.co.uk/products/automotive-aftermarket/spark-plug-glow-plug/spark-plugs/iridium-tt/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johnatg said:

Here you go:

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/116346-spark-plug-replacement-again/

I was wrong in that guide about the original plugs being platinum - I think they are in fact Iridium but with an additional platinum pad on the centre electrode. The IKBH20TT ones are 'new technology' iridium TT spec - a more advanced design (they also include platinum). The claimed service life of TT plugs is 120K km (72K miles)

https://www.denso-am.co.uk/products/automotive-aftermarket/spark-plug-glow-plug/spark-plugs/iridium-tt/

Thanks John

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links