Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All

This post is really aimed at anyone thinking of buying a GS450 or at anyone thinking of getting their Battery refurbished or replaced. Maybe it'll act as a cautionary tale. I did previously post about my experience of buying the car under another name. I can't remember why I used another name, perhaps I'd lost this login so if anyone finds the other post maybe they can post a link?

Anyway, here is the gist of the story; I'm having to redact it quite a bit as it would be very long in its entirety-

In June of last year I bought a high mileage GS450 from a guy in Burnley who claimed he was an electrical engineer who refurbished hybrid batteries for a living. I don’t know if I’m allowed to post the link to his website or his name but I will if this is allowed.

I agreed to pay £2500 for the car as it had some issues (more than he admitted to as it turns out). I agreed to fix the non-battery related issues out of my own pocket but he gave a 12 month warranty on the Battery. But as he seemed professional and seemed to know what he was talking about, I agreed to buy the car. Of course, it wasn't long after that the dash lit up like a Xmas tree, with the warning messages that every 450 driver dreads.

Despite giving him ample chance to fix the Battery he made excuse after excuse and blocked my number so I couldn’t contact him. As the EML was on because of the hybrid fault, I couldn’t get the car MOTed and so eventually went to our well known and trusted friend in Northampton who refurbished the Battery for me. I also had him add a Battery conditioner. The car passed its MOT and I then went after the seller to recover the costs of the repair.

As he had promised to fix the Battery if it went wrong but the help never actually materialised, I took him to court through the moneyclaim small claims system and I won the case a couple of weeks ago. In fact, he never even turned up. Therefore, he now has a CCJ against him so what is written below is not libel, it’s been listened to by a judge who made a judgement in my favour. I also have every bit of paperwork to prove everything I’ve written.

Before anyone points out to me how stupid I was, believe me I know. I really wanted the car and this guy saw me coming. However, I’ve definitely learnt my lesson!

I guess the moral of the story is don’t buy with your heart and make sure that you check out whoever you’re dealing with. I’m happy to provide the name and website address on here if I’m allowed?

• Like 1

Leigh, your experience sounds grim but I'm impressed that you persevered and got a working car via our friendly Hybrid Battery Repair Guy. 

I dread the thought of going through the courts and feel for you as it must have stressful.

Vehicle purchases can so easily go south which is one reason why I tend to keep mine for a few years.

Keep us posted on further developments and I hope that since the car was repaired, that you've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers, Lee

• Like 1

Thanks Lee!

I had to sell it at a loss due to a change of jobs but it was in a better condition when I sold it than when I bought it! I wouldn't do what was done to me to someone else. 

I'll get another one some day!

5 hours ago, Leigh2000 said:

Hi All

This post is really aimed at anyone thinking of buying a GS450 or at anyone thinking of getting their battery refurbished or replaced. Maybe it'll act as a cautionary tale. I did previously post about my experience of buying the car under another name. I can't remember why I used another name, perhaps I'd lost this login so if anyone finds the other post maybe they can post a link?

Anyway, here is the gist of the story; I'm having to redact it quite a bit as it would be very long in its entirety-

In June of last year I bought a high mileage GS450 from a guy in Burnley who claimed he was an electrical engineer who refurbished hybrid batteries for a living. I don’t know if I’m allowed to post the link to his website or his name but I will if this is allowed.

I agreed to pay £2500 for the car as it had some issues (more than he admitted to as it turns out). I agreed to fix the non-battery related issues out of my own pocket but he gave a 12 month warranty on the battery. But as he seemed professional and seemed to know what he was talking about, I agreed to buy the car. Of course, it wasn't long after that the dash lit up like a Xmas tree, with the warning messages that every 450 driver dreads.

Despite giving him ample chance to fix the battery he made excuse after excuse and blocked my number so I couldn’t contact him. As the EML was on because of the hybrid fault, I couldn’t get the car MOTed and so eventually went to our well known and trusted friend in Northampton who refurbished the battery for me. I also had him add a battery conditioner. The car passed its MOT and I then went after the seller to recover the costs of the repair.

As he had promised to fix the battery if it went wrong but the help never actually materialised, I took him to court through the moneyclaim small claims system and I won the case a couple of weeks ago. In fact, he never even turned up. Therefore, he now has a CCJ against him so what is written below is not libel, it’s been listened to by a judge who made a judgement in my favour. I also have every bit of paperwork to prove everything I’ve written.

Before anyone points out to me how stupid I was, believe me I know. I really wanted the car and this guy saw me coming. However, I’ve definitely learnt my lesson!

I guess the moral of the story is don’t buy with your heart and make sure that you check out whoever you’re dealing with. I’m happy to provide the name and website address on here if I’m allowed?

Well done. I`m glad that you had the courage of your convictions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Terrible story. I don't know how these guys sleep at night. Are you going to send in the bailiffs?

I'm not sure yet. As far as I'm concerned the important thing is that the CCJ hopefully stops him from operating; he has until Monday to pay up or it's on his record. Anyone thinking of doing business with him will be able to find it. He'll not be able to obtain credit as well. 

I haven't got as far as thinking about bailiffs yet. I wouldn't mind seeing him on "Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away!"

Lol

15 hours ago, The-Acre said:

A sad tale of woe, a better outcome though than my one and only dealing with the small claims court!

Yes, it was quite demanding. Sorry to hear you didn't get anywhere through small claims. For me the whole process took over a year- mainly because he took as long as he possibly could to respond at every stage- really pushing deadlines. I think he was hoping he'd wear me down and I'd give up. 

The questioning by the judge was also quite rigorous but luckily I had my ducks in a row. Had he turned up he might have been able to fight me off, but after dragging me 150 miles north to Burnley for the hearing he didn't materialise which made me even more determined. He knew about the date so unless he has some very good reason for not turning up he's on the hook for the judgement (which amounts to what I paid our friend Richard in Northampton to do the job properly, the cost of a Lexus diagnostic, and my court fees). 

I want to give a mention to Richard of hybridbatterysolutions.co.uk. Great service from him and the car ran perfectly after he'd refurbished the battery- anyone who's had cause to deal with him will know what I mean.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links