Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CarPlay - any more news?

Habu

CarPlay integration was muted recently on this forum as being possibly not too far off with some dealers potentially testing the software.

Has anything else materialised or has anyone heard anything recently?  

It would be great to think it was close to being rolled out.

Peter

Well, it seems the guy who told me about the plug in 'dongle' software upgrade and the dealership testing etc. has since left the dealership and vanished into the sunset.

The guy I'm now speaking to claims to know next to nothing other than that there may be some sort of plug in 'dongle' which may or may not be an after market, chargeable thing and may or may not be associated directly with Lexus....but it may be from a totally seperate supplier...but he doesn't really know.....so he said he'd check and let me know......which he hasn't.....

Actually Dippo this could make sense , when i ordered mine in  april and i asked about the possible availability of CarPlay i was told that it would be coming later in the year but Lexus/Toyota were in talks with apple about the cost and who would bear it. 

I’d pay a subscription if the software was well implemented and the iOS 13 update allowed the nav to be displayed in the HUD and central TFT display.

I think I’m going to be disappointed.

Having recently purchased a NX300h I was slightly disappointed to learn that Lexus had not yet embraced apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Having heard rumours that Lexus was testing the software, I contacted Lexus Customer Service to enquire as to if/when this functionality will be introduced and, if so, whether it will be available as a retro-fit to older cars. I subsequently received the following, slightly vague, response:-

"Thank you for your email.

I can confirm Android Auto and apple CarPlay will be coming to the UK however it is only on the new Lexus RX and RXL in the United Kingdom however we do not have any timeframe of when it will be arriving.

With regards to the availability of Android Auto and apple CarPlay, unfortunately at this current time we do not have any information as to when Lexus UK will introduce Android Auto and apple CarPlay on other Lexus model ranges in the United Kingdom."

So there you have it (I guess) 😕

2 hours ago, Andy B said:

Having recently purchased a NX300h I was slightly disappointed to learn that Lexus had not yet embraced apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Having heard rumours that Lexus was testing the software, I contacted Lexus Customer Service to enquire as to if/when this functionality will be introduced and, if so, whether it will be available as a retro-fit to older cars. I subsequently received the following, slightly vague, response:-

"Thank you for your email.

I can confirm Android Auto and apple CarPlay will be coming to the UK however it is only on the new Lexus RX and RXL in the United Kingdom however we do not have any timeframe of when it will be arriving.

With regards to the availability of Android Auto and apple CarPlay, unfortunately at this current time we do not have any information as to when Lexus UK will introduce Android Auto and apple CarPlay on other Lexus model ranges in the United Kingdom."

So there you have it (I guess) 😕

That’s been the standard reply since January.  It’s a default response that Lexus UK have used many times before but nothing concrete has ever been confirmed - one way or the other.  That’s the frustrating thing.  Lexus UK must have an idea but won’t say other than the aforementioned standard response you got too.

The MY20 RX was muted to have AC and AA with a touchscreen as far back as March 2019 and that’s possibly why some dealers maybe think it’s coming to Lexus models in general?

Habu