Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ordered new RX Takumi

I went to the managers special on Monday 22nd but nothing special. As my NX was in for a 2 year service yesterday 24th asked to borrow a RX for the day. Told it was a sport but actually turned out to be a standard RX with sport pack. Very smooth ride on motorway and dual carriageway way but felt too soft for me as if car floating and bobbing and steering light especially on country roads. Had 3 longish trips motorway and A roads just over 1 hour about 30+ miles and got 43 mpg. Impressed. Drove home cross country very smooth but soft and light and got 42 mpg. Then drove back to garage cross country and dual carriageway using power for overtaking when necessary and got 40 mpg. Total about 120 miles average 42 mpg which was impressive with air conditioning on as a very hot day 30 C. Told them about soft ride and steering compared to my NX Premier so would stick with that as couldn’t consider a RX Takumi based on test drive. Car is bigger especially boot and inside which I want and mpg not much lower than my NX but as most of my driving involves cross country on a day to day basis could not commit to a new RX. They then took me out in a RX Premier and the ride was so much better even my wife noticed before we had driven a few miles. So now no more objections so after discussing some options etc ordered one for September plate. They had reserved one already in my colour Mesa red with black interior from my discussion on Monday. Hope I have made the right choice as have enjoyed the NX. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Can’t remember figures but had gap insurance, smart insurance (paintwork), Supaguard and tyre/alloy insurance plus over £800 options to original £62375 inc metallic paint and came to £63000. They gave £2000, which included £250 of options, off the original total. Also got Lexus £2000 deposit plus another £1000 as previous customer and 1.9% loan. All in all then about £60k before my NX trade in  

Used the paintwork insurance on NX after couple of scapes from cars parked next to me so worth having again I thought. Need Supaguard for grandkids.

Couldn’t get free service as on NX but got 10% discount. Probably extravagant but now retired and only my third new car after a Honda CR-V and the NX and spending the kids inheritance. Need some luxury after 40 years of previous second hand and unreliable Fords, British Leyland and Volkswagen. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bought it on pcp so only needed £14k deposit as had about £4K equity on NX as only did 9k per year rather than the 10k I had signed up for. Probably last car I will buy as 70 next year so should last me 😂

• Like 1

Congratulations, I bet you can't wait !  I bought a 17 plate Premier last year and agree that the ride is excellent given that it runs on 20 inch wheels. The first thing that really stunned me was the HUD. It really helps me and I like that you can switch bits of info off that you don't want. Great when you're on navigation too. really cool. The 360 camera is good too but on mine when you stop you get a screen showing the view from the front camera. Err ....  I can see that by just looking out the front window ! It would be better to see what's right behind you. Lexus say it can't be altered.

The other amazing thing for me is the mpg. The screen says 39.0 mpg at the mo. I never trust on board computers but over the last 2,000 miles it's bang on.

Enjoy your new pride and joy.

Alan 

I have he HUD on the NX and didn’t realise how much I would miss it until the test drive without it. As for the 360 camera on the NX when I put it in reverse when stopped I can still see all four corners so can check that I am straight in the parking bay. Also I can press the camera button to the right of the steering and that shows me my position. I use that camera button a lot if I have to drive in forwards to a narrow space eg through a narrow gate like onto my brother in law’s drive. At low speed you can see all 4 corners when going forward. Can also be used at road junctions to see what’s coming but rarely remember that. Surprised if the RX isn’t the same annoying if not.

39mpg would be great. My average over the two years is that but currently getting about 42 mpg over the last few months. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lager shandy said:

My neighbour has a tesla he won't tell me the price just in case his wife finds out lol.looks nice in white 

Most women look nice in white Alan, so please tell us the colour of his Tesla.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good choice, you will love it. I bought a Premier in Mesa red with ivory interior last year and it is a beautiful car to drive and own. The ventilated seats were lovely yesterday when it was 36C outside. Make sure you use the 'sport mode' on twisty roads which transforms the ride and throttle response. 'Economy mode' for the motorway when using adaptive cruise. Sound system is awesome.

My only minor complaint is that the Lexus online connectivity doesn't really work reliably. I've given up on it and disabled most of the features that require this. No big deal though as these features are much more easily accessed on a mobile phone anyway.

Hope you enjoy your car.

I must admit I have considered a Tesla. It would probably suit me better as I do a few short trips a week eg food shopping and seeing grandkids. But my wife isn’t into relying on electric for the long journeys we do which are around the 300 mile range and then staying self catering. Seen quite a few on our trips and locally. Parked next to one in the services two weeks ago with it full wing rear doors. Lot of room inside. Couple had two kids in child seats and the leg room was huge. Problem is I think it is wider than the RX and the roads in the South East are narrow. 

My NX is Mesa red with ivory but decided on black interior this time. The ventilated seats are great and I use them a lot. I haven’t used sport a lot except for pulling out quickly or overtaking and stopped used eco on motorway this year as the response was a little slow for pulling out but with adaptive it is ok. 

As for the sat nav and traffic updates it is poor so use my TomTom. However on the test drive it warned me of a traffic jam on the M25 and suggested an alternative, something the NX has never done. 

I enjoy driving the NX so looking forward to the RX as I think the driving position suits me and my creaking hips better. 

I'm no expert on these things but the traffic updates are good and work well. Its things like the street view, the live petrol prices and the weather reports that just won't co-operate.All a bit pointless anyway. in my opinion.

On the NX the best I get is slow traffic x miles away, usually 5 miles, or slow traffic when I am already in it. Never an alternative route and if I go off route with the TomTom the NX keeps on trying to take be back to the original route. 

The RX worked as expected and gave the same alternative as the TomTom. 

• 1 month later...

Well my RX was due for handover on September 2nd, still waiting. Dealer can’t register it with DVLA as Lexus haven’t provided the paperwork. They didn’t tell me until two days before handover after paying the deposit that I couldn’t have it. Went in yesterday as heard nothing and still no date as to when I can pick it up. The good news was that they have it and I was able to see it but still waiting for Lexus to provide the WLTP and emissions paperwork so it can be registered. Annoying as I had plans this month but now everything on hold and unable to cancel my insurance on NX and start my new insurance with Lexus on the RX even though I have paid for it to start on 2nd. 

• Like 1

I would send a strong worded email regarding the poor service and lack of communication on there part .saying your wife is really upset and the only way you can see yourself not cancelling the order .Is by Paying for an expensive spa day for you and your wife and a box off champagne .🤡

• Like 2

On 7/26/2019 at 8:15 PM, lfoggy said:

I'm no expert on these things but the traffic updates are good and work well. Its things like the street view, the live petrol prices and the weather reports that just won't co-operate.All a bit pointless anyway. in my opinion.

I’ve never managed to get those things to cooperate either. 

Latest news is that there will be another update on Friday 13th. They will not give me a date until they are certain that they can meet that date. Very frustrating, as I cannot plan anything, especially as the car is in the dealership with personalised number plate, accessories fitted, just needs the final clean etc ready for handover. Told Lexus are working on paperwork and it is down to what the chassis number of car is 🤔

Oh dear. That doesn't sound very good. You sound like a reasonable man John, I'm sure you haven't jumped in feet first. I'd be expecting a free first service or similar. Some sort of offer rather than making you ask. I'm not one for showing off, my default isn't to look for problems and then kick off but if there's nothing forthcoming I'd probably vote with my feet and leave a review on Google.