Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I rang lexus swindon today and asked about deals on rx used car warrantys which he quoted £995 for two years He mentioned is ones lexus with full lexus servicing .i answered yes I do believe so after check my cars ad . I then asked why ,he told me your warranty claims would probably rejected on a claiming not  .i asked what about block exception on the first 3 years as I can have it serviced at joe blogs in kwik fit and you have to do warranty work .he seemed flustered lol.

50 minutes ago, Lager shandy said:

.i asked what about block exception on the first 3 years as I can have it serviced at joe blogs in kwik fit and you have to do warranty work .he seemed flustered lol.

I believe the car has to be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's schedule and use parts " of acceptable quality" with the work done by a VAT registered establishment?

If the vehicle is under finance then the block exception does not apply if the finance company require it to be service by Lexus as part of their T&Cs

• Like 2

If I were buying an almost new used luxury car like a Lexus I wouldn't consider a car that hadn't a proper franchise history. 

I  think that if you are putting a big wad of cash into such a vehicle then surely it is worth getting it maintained by the franchise for the inside product knowledge they have access to . 

A prime recent personal example is a lady I know bought a Ford cmax from the main dealer. Being too tight to get it serviced by them it was entrusted to a local garage This garage were unaware of the eco boost engine issues. If the car had been Ford serviced they would as a matter of course have followed a service bulletin and replace a suspect pipe. The car was never modified, dumped its coolent in 2 seconds and wrecked the engine. Cost the lady thousands of pounds to replace the engine and then much grief to try and recoup some of the cost. I don't know if she succeeded or not but the car was sold shortly afterwards.

2 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

If the car had been Ford serviced they would as a matter of course have followed a service bulletin and replace a suspect pipe.

But would they?

A friend of mine suffered the exact same fate - except that it was serviced at the Ford main dealer and they forgot about the TSB.

I will probably get the Lexus used car warranty, I bought one for my avensis 499 for two years ,lexus seems a bit steep for 995 for 2 for 1 cost .has anyone actually paid almost 2 k for a used warranty.

13 minutes ago, Lager shandy said:

I will probably get the Lexus used car warranty, I bought one for my avensis 499 for two years ,lexus seems a bit steep for 995 for 2 for 1 cost .has anyone actually paid almost 2 k for a used warranty.

Almost 2k is for 4 years Alan.

The Lexus warranty does seem expensive compared to Toyota. They also cut off after 10 years whereas Toyota still cover 55 plates less than 14 years old and 150k miles.

Unfortunately the car I’m viewing is older than 10 years so it’s Warrantydirect for me. Have it in the X5 and although it cost 1.5k over 3 years it will be needed as it’s no Lexus.

1 hour ago, Lager shandy said:

The RX450h is a whole order of magnitude more complex than an Avensis though so I reckon £995 for two years warranty is a good buy.

The thing that I really get annoyed at is the requirement that to qualify for a warranty you must also have it serviced at a Lexus dealer - I'm used to paying mates rates for servicing!

That’s why I think it’s cheaper to have Warrantydirect but it’s not as comprehensive as Lexus warranty. Servicing is at any vat reg garage.

The only thing I have found with used car warrantys is check the max labour rates in the small print as I had one a years ago covered lots of items but the labour rate they paid was 35 per hour so most garages didn't want to know .

5 hours ago, Lager shandy said:

but the labour rate they paid was 35 per hour so most garages didn't want to know .

There's no denying that the Lexus warranty is absolutely excellent value. If I remember correctly, labour rates are about £130 - £150 per hour and the warranty covers it.

You've just got to treat it like an insurance policy. These cars are so reliable that hopefully you'll never have to make a claim, so some people may see it as £995 wasted. However, on the other hand, if one of my LED headlights dies the individual LED 'bulb' can't be changed as they're a sealed unit costing over £800 to replace so you've almost got your money's-worth in that one claim alone.

The only thing that irks me, as I said above, is the requirement for dealer servicing. If we could get rid of that clause then taking a warranty would really make sense.

43 minutes ago, Herbie said:

There's no denying that the Lexus warranty is absolutely excellent value. If I remember correctly, labour rates are about £130 - £150 per hour and the warranty covers it.

You've just got to treat it like an insurance policy. These cars are so reliable that hopefully you'll never have to make a claim, so some people may see it as £995 wasted. However, on the other hand, if one of my LED headlights dies the individual LED 'bulb' can't be changed as they're a sealed unit costing over £800 to replace so you've almost got your money's-worth in that one claim alone.

The only thing that irks me, as I said above, is the requirement for dealer servicing. If we could get rid of that clause then taking a warranty would really make sense.

Don`t Lexus now have low cost Dealer servicing for older vehicles Herbie?

48 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Don`t Lexus now have low cost Dealer servicing for older vehicles Herbie?

They do indeed John, I think it's called Lexus Essential Care.

I'll look into that next time, cheers.