Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exporting an RX400h to France

I am moving to France and taking up residence but at this stage I do not want to buy another car so I plan on registering it in France.  i already have the CoC document but I am slightly concerned by a piece of information I found namely, that I will have to change the headlights. Given that this car has flat beam headlamps that do NOT need changing for European driving (just switch off the AFS) do I really need to change them?

If anyone has any experience of this I'd be grateful for some insight. I tried to do a part number look up but it needs the VIN and of course I only have mine to use. Unless anyone has a Euro spec LHD VIN they can share of course 😉

Please, if you are just going to troll this and tell me not do it then save your time & energy, I'm not interested in your opinion, just factual knowledge.

Thanks

David

14 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

I am moving to France and taking up residence but at this stage I do not want to buy another car so I plan on registering it in France.  i already have the CoC document but I am slightly concerned by a piece of information I found namely, that I will have to change the headlights. Given that this car has flat beam headlamps that do NOT need changing for European driving (just switch off the AFS) do I really need to change them?

If anyone has any experience of this I'd be grateful for some insight. I tried to do a part number look up but it needs the VIN and of course I only have mine to use. Unless anyone has a Euro spec LHD VIN they can share of course 😉

Please, if you are just going to troll this and tell me not do it then save your time & energy, I'm not interested in your opinion, just factual knowledge.

Thanks

David

Have you thought about asking Lexus in France for an answer Dave?

I live in Spain for 6 months of the year and expats have the same difficulty as you.

35 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Have you thought about asking Lexus in France for an answer Dave?

I live in Spain for 6 months of the year and expats have the same difficulty as you.

I actually did some years ago when I wanted to bring my US spec RX to France - their answer was bring the car for an inspection! Which of course was not practical so I ended up dropping the idea. I'm hoping this time it will be easier

• Like 1

Found this in an old post---should be sufficient for your needs as it is in French as well

Our ref             637848 

16 September 2013 

Thank you for your further email.

I can confirm that the HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlamps on the RX 350 do not need to be converted for travel on the continent. The set up of the headlamp is such that the light shines in a horizontal flat beam which has no kick up and as such is not dazzling to drivers of oncoming cars.

As you have suggested, we would recommend that the Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting System (I-AFS) is switched off when travelling on the continent.

Yours sincerely

Claire Newman 

Customer Relations Executive

Translated by Google Translate

Notre ref 637848

16 Septembre 2013

Merci pour votre plus email.

Je peux confirmer que les HID (High Intensity Discharge) phares sur le RX 350 n'ont pas besoin d'être convertis pour les voyages sur le continent. La mise en place du projecteur est telle que la lumière brille dans un faisceau plat horizontal qui n'a pas de coup de pied et en tant que telle n'est pas éblouissant pour les conducteurs venant en sens inverse des voitures.

Comme vous l'avez suggéré, nous recommandons que le système frontal de l'éclairage adaptatif intelligent (I-AFS) soit éteint lorsque vous voyagez sur le continent.

Cordialement

Claire Newman

Relations exécutif à la clientèle

• Like 1

Thank you - but as you will see from my original post I knew that the headlights do not need changing for driving in France as a  tourist but I need to know if they need changing for registering the car in France.

I have emailed Lexus/Toyota in France - just waiting for their reply

David

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lydiamight said:

Found this in an old post---should be sufficient for your needs as it is in French as well

Our ref             637848 

16 September 2013 

Thank you for your further email.

I can confirm that the HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlamps on the RX 350 do not need to be converted for travel on the continent. The set up of the headlamp is such that the light shines in a horizontal flat beam which has no kick up and as such is not dazzling to drivers of oncoming cars.

As you have suggested, we would recommend that the Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting System (I-AFS) is switched off when travelling on the continent.

Yours sincerely

Claire Newman 

Customer Relations Executive

Translated by Google Translate

Notre ref 637848

16 Septembre 2013

Merci pour votre plus email.

Je peux confirmer que les HID (High Intensity Discharge) phares sur le RX 350 n'ont pas besoin d'être convertis pour les voyages sur le continent. La mise en place du projecteur est telle que la lumière brille dans un faisceau plat horizontal qui n'a pas de coup de pied et en tant que telle n'est pas éblouissant pour les conducteurs venant en sens inverse des voitures.

Comme vous l'avez suggéré, nous recommandons que le système frontal de l'éclairage adaptatif intelligent (I-AFS) soit éteint lorsque vous voyagez sur le continent.

Cordialement

Claire Newman

Relations exécutif à la clientèle

Well found Ray, but it is not the    answer to David`s question.

In order to pass the Spanish equivalent of the MOT someone on here needed to change their headlights, so I'm assuming France will be no different when the OP hears back from Lexus France.

9 minutes ago, Herbie said:

In order to pass the Spanish equivalent of the MOT someone on here needed to change their headlights, so I'm assuming France will be no different when the OP hears back from Lexus France.

Do you know what model of Lexus they had? or a link to the post?

Thanks

David

OK, thanks - however that was a different car with possibly different headlamp settings. 

As we have a note from Toyota France regarding driving I'm hoping that will convince the guy when I go for the CT (MoT in France) which I will do before anything else. Also hoping for Lexus France to come back to me.  I did try looking up part numbers but I can't as I don't have an LHD VIN.

We live in hope 🙂

• Like 1

As already said, driving and importing are different in that headlamps need to comply with the requirements of the country. So AFAIK one would need to change to the aprts supplied to cars for those countries.

16 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

As already said, driving and importing are different in that headlamps need to comply with the requirements of the country. So AFAIK one would need to change to the aprts supplied to cars for those countries.

AFAIK isn't far enough, hence the original post. Just remember, the RX does not have dipping headlights, the dip and main beam are separate lamps so the change could be quite minor. It may well be that the AFS causes the dip beam to point left instead of right but to determine that I need part numbers, or an answer from Lexus France

• Like 1

OK, here's an update. I eventually found a website https://7zap.com/en/catalog/cars/ that allows me to search based on the car model and type and shows both LHD and RHD parts. I downloaded the headlamp page for both and compared them - they are absolutely identical in every aspect, all part numbers are the same. So if this is accurate, changing the headlamps would have no effect. I'm also questioning the turning off of the AFS because checking it in my driveway the beam is identical whether the wheel is turned left or right.

Now can I convince the CT inspector?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

OK, here's an update. I eventually found a website https://7zap.com/en/catalog/cars/ that allows me to search based on the car model and type and shows both LHD and RHD parts. I downloaded the headlamp page for both and compared them - they are absolutely identical in every aspect, all part numbers are the same. So if this is accurate, changing the headlamps would have no effect. I'm also questioning the turning off of the AFS because checking it in my driveway the beam is identical whether the wheel is turned left or right.

If you take the documentary evidence you have a chance David.

All the very best.

5 hours ago, rynd2it said:

I'm also questioning the turning off of the AFS because checking it in my driveway the beam is identical whether the wheel is turned left or right.

The AFS won't operate below a certain speed (which if I remember correctly is about 10mph but I could be wrong) so that doesn't mean a lot I'm afraid.

On 7/28/2019 at 3:19 PM, rynd2it said:

The swivelling effect governed by the AFS is much more pronounced on the passenger side than it is on the road side [EDIT for clarity, the lights both swivel together, but more so to the left than to the right], which is why it is recommended to switch it off when driving on the continent. The headlights may be the same on LHD and RHD cars (hence the flat beam), but I expect the the AFS component to be different as it needs to be biased towards the passenger side. As stated by Herbie, you cannot test this when the vehicle is stationary because AFS does not operate below a certain speed. Note also that it does not operate ABOVE a certain speed either (I think it's around 40mph). There is a section in the handbook about the AFS.

• 2 months later...

Hi rynd2it. Just wondering if you have an update on the rx400h headlights. I am looking into doing the same thing in a few weeks. I have also been told that beam deflectors can be used to pass the controle technique in france. 

12 hours ago, adamon said:

Hi rynd2it. Just wondering if you have an update on the rx400h headlights. I am looking into doing the same thing in a few weeks. I have also been told that beam deflectors can be used to pass the controle technique in france. 

Beam deflectors do not work on these headlights, they have flat top beams, see above. Whoever told you that you could use them to pass the CT was talking nonsense, there is no way that would be accepted. I started the process yesterday and ran into a bloody minded official who would not cooperate in any way. I shall be trying again and I will post updates - be prepared for the officials (foncionnaires) they can be a real pain.

If you Google English mechanic in france, there is a english mechanic a couple of hours from me who sorts out headlights for us expats. He told me he has passed at least 50 CT's with just beam deflectors, however he has never tried a Rx. He said flat beams should pass and that he can verify with his machine before sending it for CT.

20 minutes ago, adamon said:

If you Google English mechanic in france, there is a english mechanic a couple of hours from me who sorts out headlights for us expats. He told me he has passed at least 50 CT's with just beam deflectors, however he has never tried a Rx. He said flat beams should pass and that he can verify with his machine before sending it for CT.

If that's the guy near Chef Boutonne, that is very useful as it's about an hour away from me in Chabanais. I am amazed that he can get a CT with deflectors as all I am hearing and reading is that the CT is now much stricter and everything must conform to original manufacturers parts.

The first step in this is getting a Quitis Fiscal from your local tax office - there is a Facebook group that has all the details of how to go about this and all the other steps 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1194914370612560/?fref=nf 

Here is the garage I contacted. https://www.theenglishmechanic.net/mecano-anglais-headlights.html

When I registered my Zafira three years ago I needed the v5 log book, a certificat de conformité and a contrôle technique. I did change the headlights for the CT but this was simple as Zafira headlights are easy to find. However I the Rx headlights are almost impossible to find and buying from Lexus is not going to be cheap. 

1 hour ago, adamon said:

Here is the garage I contacted. https://www.theenglishmechanic.net/mecano-anglais-headlights.html

When I registered my Zafira three years ago I needed the v5 log book, a certificat de conformité and a contrôle technique. I did change the headlights for the CT but this was simple as Zafira headlights are easy to find. However I the Rx headlights are almost impossible to find and buying from Lexus is not going to be cheap. 

Good, that's the guy not too far away.

Rx headlights are upwards of £600 each!!!! so pray for flat top beams getting past the CT.BTW, I am reliably informed that instead of a CT you can use a UK MoT if it under 6 months old - going to test this theory soon

That's also interesting as my situation is that I'm looking to buy an rx400h in the UK in a few weeks time and a recent mot could help me register the car. I'm wanting a car older than 2009 as the Carte grise will be half price. I think registering the car is all online now so I guess the paperwork will either go though or it won't. Three years ago it was via the prefecture and the lady in the office here in Les sables d'Olonne was really helpful.

Please keep me informed with any progress

15 hours ago, adamon said:

That's also interesting as my situation is that I'm looking to buy an rx400h in the UK in a few weeks time and a recent mot could help me register the car. I'm wanting a car older than 2009 as the Carte grise will be half price. I think registering the car is all online now so I guess the paperwork will either go though or it won't. Three years ago it was via the prefecture and the lady in the office here in Les sables d'Olonne was really helpful.

Please keep me informed with any progress

Well that does beg the question of why not just buy a French Rx, apart from the price that is. 

I now have the complete process for the Quitis Fiscal in Angouleme which I'll be doing today. It involves sending them copies of documents by email, post or in person and then them giving you a date/time for an appointment. At the appointment you should get your QF. Note this HAS to be done in the tax office where you live, hence the problem with Angouleme as they are (so far) the only ones doing it this way.

Watch this space

Quitis_Docs.pdf