Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exporting an RX400h to France

Thanks for the info on the Quitis fiscal. This is news to me as I didn't obtain this document when I registered my car 3 years ago, maybe it didn't exist back then or perhaps the lady at the prefecture sorted it for me. I am having another look at cars in France after reading the thread that you started, I just find the price difference between second hand cars in France and the UK hard to accept.

1 hour ago, adamon said:

Thanks for the info on the Quitis fiscal. This is news to me as I didn't obtain this document when I registered my car 3 years ago, maybe it didn't exist back then or perhaps the lady at the prefecture sorted it for me. I am having another look at cars in France after reading the thread that you started, I just find the price difference between second hand cars in France and the UK hard to accept.

What ever price for an Rx you find in the UK, double it for France - then subtract the costs of registration (possible headlights) and it starts to look a bit better. As you have French cars already logistically this won't be too hard; for me with one car only it was looking like a challenge so I decided to bring my Rx. I've now sent off the QF docs and waiting for the appointment

In regards to the headlights did you get a response from Lexus?

I am thinking of visiting the Lexus garage in la Roche sur Yon and asking at the service desk. It's probably quite rare that the question is asked and I'm sure they will prefer quoting for new lights. Knowing how things seem to work here in France, especially when a bottle of Ricard is envolved, who you know makes more difference than what you know. That could be why some people seem to get a CT paper and others not. I'm sure some French mechanics see the English plates and fail the lights without even testing them.

I would guess any garage with a headlight testing machine will be able to tell if the headlights will pass or not. I remember the chap in the garage tried to adjust my Zafira headlights before he changed them. He showed me the machine and I watched while he made adjustments, this is why I am hopeful that flat beams will pass.

If you do manage to get sorted with your mot document you will still need to pass a CT when the mot expires, maybe even before for the French insurance. 

19 hours ago, adamon said:

In regards to the headlights did you get a response from Lexus?

Never got any sense out of Lexus - France UK or USA. They will always quote for new parts and won't give any help whatsoever - they have an attitude that says "we know best" - just try using the sat nav with UK postal codes. I've also spent some time looking for 2nd hand lights but to no avail, let's hope it'll pass with the flat top beams.

If the beam is flat (as already confirmed)... why would changing the headlights make any difference? - Switching the AFS off should be sufficient, surely.

Any french garage that does MOTs (Controle Technique) should be able to verify and confirm whether or not the car would pass the test.

Hi just fresh to the Lexus world having just bought an LS400 but I have lived in France for 9 years previously so I know quite a lot about this. Firstly just like the UK there are official rules that some of the CT guys adhere to religiously but there are other CT guys who are not as strict. Just because one CT guy will pass with beam deflectors doesn’t make it allowable or in accordance with the actual rules. Officially your headlights must concur with the official French Part numbers which might be stamped on the lenses or might not be. That is the law. There will be some more lenient CT guys out there but that doesn’t make what they do legal. It doesn’t matter if the beam pattern complied, the part must have the French part number. Another example of their beaurocracy........ if your tyres are not exactly as specified by manufacturer it’s a CT fail. If you don’t have the exact same tyres across each axle ie left and right, it’s a CT fail. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, matk said:

. Officially your headlights must concur with the official French Part numbers which might be stamped on the lenses or might not be. That is the law. 

Interesting - I got the part numbers for both RHD and LHD cars and they are the same 81135 (right side) 81175 (left side) - anyone got any other data on these numbers?

I finally go the Quitis Fiscal this morning, it took 5 mins but this was after a long drawn out process following an unscheduled visit to the tax office. Lesson 1, research your local tax office and go loaded with multiple copies of your documents.

So you got the Quitis fiscal sorted within a week. Next is contrôle technique with the headlights being the biggest hurdle and then Carte grise and number plates. I wonder if the rx400h will have a discounted Carte gris with it being a hybrid. I know cars over ten years old are half price. 

14 hours ago, adamon said:

So you got the Quitis fiscal sorted within a week. Next is contrôle technique with the headlights being the biggest hurdle and then Carte grise and number plates. I wonder if the rx400h will have a discounted Carte gris with it being a hybrid. I know cars over ten years old are half price. 

Application for Carte Gris is underway, using the MoT instead of CT which is allowed if the MoT has more than six months to run.

The FaceBook group has modelling software than can calculate the fees

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

GOOD NEWS!   Rx400h passed its CT on the original UK headlights, no problems. The flat top beams are acceptable.

I used the AUTOSUR station in Chabanais, the guy doesn't speak English but that was not an issue, he was very thorough and very helpful.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My 2007 Lexus  rx400h has also just passed its controls technique with no modification to the Xenon headlights. I also used Autosur in Les sables d'olonne. Quitis fiscal sorted without an appointment, took about five mins.  Still waiting for certificate of conformity and then ANTS. 

• Like 1