Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying a used RX400h

You may be lucky and find a dealer that will let it go to Lexus first but I doubt it. The RAC, the AA and other places do a pre-purchase inspection so you could have one of those done and then if you do buy it, take it to Lexus for a hybrid health check (about £60).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Herbie said:

You may be lucky and find a dealer that will let it go to Lexus first but I doubt it. The RAC, the AA and other places do a pre-purchase inspection so you could have one of those done and then if you do buy it, take it to Lexus for a hybrid health check (about £60).

Thanks. Any ideas what maybe a little noise at a speed? Sounds very similar as if it was on off-road tyres (but it is not tyres as it has decent condition road tyres of reputable brand)

If you have an idea to buy a used car first you have to check vehicle history check. If you try this you get some clear report about your used car. There are some free websites are there. So it will useful for everyone.

Back to my search.

Anyway checked out another’s Rx400.

This time 09 with 100k miles. Had cambelt change and FSH with Lexus . Even had a HHC and recent service a few days ago.

tested with paint thickness pen.

majority of car had respray and some rusty patches from of bonnet. There was body filler on wheel arch too. The car pulled to left severely. The chap said it needed alignment as tyres on front were bald cf to rear.

Anyway apart from front bumper needed a repray and possible alignment suspension issue the car drove ok. The body work had many scratches it looked it was driven in a farm 

The spec was SR so no parking sensors or camera or satnav .

with some many issues I gave offer if PX price and walked away.

i have yet to find a decent RX if they do exist?

Some will be better than others but you've also got to be either (a) willing to travel long distances and/or (b) possibly be a little more realistic in your expectations. Even an 09 is now 10 years old and there aren't many 10 year old cars that haven't got some dings and/or paintwork done.

No offence meant Eddy but 'paint thickness pen'? I don't even know what one is, let alone take it to a 10 year old car.

I know what your saying Herbie but my X5 is 10 years old and each an every panel is factory. I do have a few scratches but nothing that needs a full panel respray. I need to touch up some bumper and bonnet chips.

i do have high expectations but a 10 year old car which has been looked after will have a decent bodywork not like what I’ve seen.

I like the way sellers play these things down once you come to view after they tell you in the phone the car is very good condition. The price is then average condition as panel sprays will be required in deep scratches.

The paint thickness pen helps identify any bonding used as the pen just doesn’t grip.

The car I inspected had this on wheel arches and other areas. It sounds as though it had a few bumps in its life and wasn’t repaired properly.

The handling of the car never inspired confidence and I was steering right to keep it straight all the time. I was glad he didn’t accept my offer as I don’t know what I would have done if he accepted . It could be repaired but at a cost so hence low offer.

Eddy1

I think your safest option is to buy a used RX400 from Lexus, there are 3 on their site for £10k or less. They would come with 12 months approved warranty, and you could extend for a further 2 years for £995.

good luck if you find what you are looking for from independents or private sellers.

55 minutes ago, Djwbiker said:

Eddy1

I think your safest option is to buy a used RX400 from Lexus, there are 3 on their site for £10k or less. They would come with 12 months approved warranty, and you could extend for a further 2 years for £995.

good luck if you find what you are looking for from independents or private sellers.

Excellent advice David.

16 hours ago, Herbie said:

No offence meant Eddy but 'paint thickness pen'? I don't even know what one is, let alone take it to a 10 year old car.

I own one. It is an electronic device. Mine is called 'Paint Detective' and placing the tip of it on a metal panel gives you a reading of the paint thickness in microns. Where there is filler the reading will be very high. With very skilled painters out there it is a good way of helping spot accident repairs. 

15 hours ago, Eddy1 said:

The paint thickness pen helps identify any bonding used as the pen just doesn’t grip.

52 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

I own one. It is an electronic device. Mine is called 'Paint Detective' and placing the tip of it on a metal panel gives you a reading of the paint thickness in microns

So it's a more sophisticated modern equivalent of taking a magnet with you like I used to do many, many moons ago 😊

I've just looked up Paint Detective Les and at almost £200 I think I'll stick to my magnet (see what I did there - 'stick' to my magnet... I'll get me coat :laughing:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The device I got was £15 from eBay and it works a treat. Can test against control with my car as it’s all factory or roof on all cars are factory unless you had a bump up there.

15 hours ago, Herbie said:

So it's a more sophisticated modern equivalent of taking a magnet with you like I used to do many, many moons ago 😊

I've just looked up Paint Detective Les and at almost £200 I think I'll stick to my magnet (see what I did there - 'stick' to my magnet... I'll get me coat :laughing:)

I bought it about 12 years ago for detailing car paintwork as you know exactly how thick the paint is before you cut through to the primer with a polishing machine which is going to cost a lot to repair. 

Magnet can't do that especially on aluminium panels 🤔

I have recently bought one and loving it. It was a toss up betweeen this and a GS450h. Slower, less MPG but more practical. Bought from a local car dealer. Having registered on MYlexus, the car has a lot more hstory than the dealer could provide. All Lexus Nottingham. Nice.

Given the car is a 56 plate, it is 13 years old at best. I expect to have  a few things to remedy. Which ever way you cut it, this is a lot of car for comparatively little money now.

Despite the service history I have found, I have replaced the Air filter, cabin filter, oil and filter, so I know, what went in, when and with what. Parts approx £56. Replaced front tyres as well.

The one thing that does require attention is the rear calipers and OS back plate. (surprise surprise) having looked up the cost of a budweg repalcement. Not worth messing about.

Only had car 2 weeks, and 1st time in an SUV type vehicle. But can see the appeal. I had a gen2 prius prior to the RX and my other car is a Toyota MR2 Roadster.

Chalk n cheese eh!

So, as  a new owner, are there any recommended sources of parts should they be needed?

Cheers

Jase

Happy new car Jason - we need pictures or it didn't happen  :laughing:

The Bay of Fleas is good for parts (with the usual caveats, of course), along with Rock Auto in the USA, and some people have used Alibaba successfully, along with places like Euro Car Parts and other local motor factors.

• Like 1

Does any one else feel the urge to up the tyres a couple of PSI. Just look soft and semi flat to me. Despite correct load rating  tyres.

Also.

No service book with car. I have found the history via MY Lexus, but would like to know what wants doing when. Belts, plugs, coolant etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway just to update you my search has ended. After a few test drives and private car searches I’ve decided to buy my next car.

it was a SUV I wanted and it was a tough choice. It had to live up to my X5(E70 LCI) in the handling dept and be just a luxurious with all the bells and whistles. 

My search LED me to Lexus RX SE-L , the RAV4 with XT5 spec. , CRV  EX spec.. All automatic.

After a few private Rx400h viewings the bodywork on 3 random cars were all bad.. ie each panel had respray. This really got me thinking. My search on RaV4 was quite short lived when a private viewing put me off again as it handled really bad and the engine was rough for a petrol . That car must have had issues. Anyway I rang about a 62 plate RAV4 which I never tested as the dealer would not accept my offer below asking price and I lived 200 miles away.

The other issue I had with the Lexus was the footbrake. Which idiot came up with that. Even my nephews Golf has an electronic brake button and it’s 13 plate. This would be an issue when I get gout which is 3?times a year random times. Footbrake would be a disaster but I never thought of this before. I enquires about the 450h but even that had one and the cheapest I could get was 9k.

My search was now the CRV in 3rd generation.

Drove a petrol and it felt ok but thirsty at 20-30mpg. Also you had to give it the beans on the motorway. Drove the CRV diesel last week and I was converted. It felt every bit like the X5 and even handled like one. The spec was ES but I drove the EX on Sunday and I bought it same day no messing and drove it home from Hamel Hampstead. It had all the spec my X5 has and more. The car had no bodywork issues I was surprised to find any respray not even one panel. No codes on ecu and full service history with 12 months Honda warranty extendable for 3 years before sept 20 for £650.

Thats 4 yrs warranty for £650 which for Rx is £900 for 2 years if it’s 09 plate.

The car was 62 plate and Ex auto for £7999 and I got it for £7850.

My budget was 5-6k for a runabout. But including warranty and potential repairs service I think I would be spending another 1-2k anyway. The car has had its service and even if it breaks its covered till sept 20 under warranty.

I hope I’ve made the right decision and my wife wants me to get rid of my beloved X5.☹️

24D369B7-7C88-4551-8422-38B026DB163E.jpeg

3E7FBD2B-6BA9-47BD-B967-00216AEBAC68.jpeg

FD0BE052-3E48-4494-972D-EA71320E6028.jpeg

5B76895B-D0D9-4C56-884A-4865BFCAA577.jpeg

0D34CFC4-3E87-44FE-815D-C380E1CCA347.jpeg

136874DD-4C78-4F48-A7EB-5936B2776367.jpeg

8A3F0A02-C262-4C93-B7DE-18FFFD1CFE5A.jpeg

0C541173-185C-4C43-93AE-BBF51175DC16.jpeg

0AD791CD-2485-45FE-A748-4EEDE8D433F3.jpeg

7DCD10C3-15DC-41C7-AA49-3E1182B7A395.jpeg

• Like 3

Blimey a CRV handling like a X5? Your X5 must have a fault in its suspension. I've driven a couple of newish CRV''s and they're krap. But anyway. So longs as you're happy with your new car then we'll done. Happy motoring. 

Probably not as good as the X5 but felt more composed than the other two. Round corners the X5 can’t be beaten but on the motorway my X5 tends to drift left but the CRV goes straight like a bullet.

i wouldn’t trade my X5 for it but there are so many positives it’s daft not to.

Anyway I’m enjoying it so far so maybe when my X5 lets me down I’ll trade it in for a newer model Rx without the footbrake.

Electronic handbrakes the toyota boys hate them with a vengeance 1200+ to replace almost as bad as DMV (dual mass flywheels )and weak clutches 1000+ to fit , diesel injectors 1200 quid +fitting ,oh the terrible air suspension on the the Rx you have to remember you pay out so little only high servicing cost over 10 years .

• Like 1

I was in the same boat for the last month and after looking at about 5 options, picked the one which seem to be in decent condition. 2008, 68k (see picture).

I bought it from trader which means that very little is known about car history.

For start I booked Essential Minor service from local Lexus and was wandering - what else do I need to check? 

Transmission oil, any filters, wheels alignment (I noticed car is pulled to the left at very small speed in traffic)? Anything else you would recommend to check or service?

_MG_1251.jpg

You need a hybrid health check at Lexus, costs about £60 and as long as it passes, the hybrid batteries are warrantied for up to 15 years old.

Looks a nice motor.