Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance cost for your Rx

Just rang my insurance company lloyds which is my bank and only a £10 a month increase £620 year fully comp with loan car legal no claims protection me and wife as main driver. I'm 50 wife 34 not too bad.

Last year with Direct Line I paid £650 and it went up to £680 this year with £250 compulsory excess. Done a price comparison online and it came up with £410 with a £400 excess with Debenhams. Phoned up Direct Line and they immediately matched the comparison price without any problem and still have the guaranteed hire car, legal cover etc.

• Like 1

Mines coming up as £1000 with Churchill. My X5 4.0d was only £1250. Seems like high insurance for the Rx400h.. GS450h quote wasn’t much diff.

Mind you I’ve got a few claims over 5 years to shred yet.

I think ours was about £580 back in February. That's with business cover for both of us, courtesy car, max. NCB (protected) for both of us etc., etc.

The only thing I didn't take is legal cover as we have that through my union. policy is with Ageas if I remember right, through A-Plan brokers.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 7:59 PM, Eddy1 said:

Mines coming up as £1000 with Churchill. My X5 4.0d was only £1250. Seems like high insurance for the Rx400h.. GS450h quote wasn’t much diff.

Mind you I’ve got a few claims over 5 years to shred yet.

Hi.

When you're due for renewal if you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

I’m buying it hopefully this week need insurance for Friday. Churchill have said that can pay £350 to March on my existing insurance for the Aygo which I paid 489 in March. Still works out £800-900 pro rata.

Interesting numbers. When I changed from a GSF to an RX450h earlier this year I was surprised to see my premium jump from about £300 to over £400. and that was the cheapest I could get after a bit of negotiation. How can an RX be higher rated than a 470hp 168mph super saloon? Mystery.

Renewed mine with Admiral on 1st April (this is not a joke btw).  It was £305 for the year.  Fully comp, me and Mrs LedZep, 9 years ncd, courtesy car etc. etc......  We're in rural west Wales, I'm sure it makes a difference.

On 7/28/2019 at 6:39 PM, steveledzep said:

Renewed mine with Admiral on 1st April (this is not a joke btw).  It was £305 for the year.  Fully comp, me and Mrs LedZep, 9 years ncd, courtesy car etc. etc......  We're in rural west Wales, I'm sure it makes a difference.

That’s cheaper than my Grp 1 Aygo....

The problem is that there are SO many variables you just cannot make any meaningful comparisons.

I know that one of the things that puts our price up is the need for both my wife and I to have business cover. Hopefully that requirement should cease in about 12 to 18 months, but the cynic in me says that I still won't see any reduction in premiums!

One of the biggest factors is your Post Code.

A friend of mine, who lives near Manchester, carried out a test for insurance for his Honda Goldwing.

Got a quote from his insurance company using his own address, then also got a quote using my address.

Everything apart from the address was kept the same and the quote using my address was half that using his own near Manchester.

The insurance on my GS450H is £260 fully comp with all the extras, and only £50 excess. I live in Herefordshire, and am insured with Saga. My premium renewal went up this year by 60 pence, and Saga have informed me that as long as nothing changes risk wise my premium will remain at the same price next year. Makes a big change from the usual enormous price rises normally associated with renewal.
In the past Saga have quoted higher premiums than other well known companies, but for some reason 18 months ago when my renewal was due they were the cheapest quote on comparison sites by some margin.

John. 

We changed to saga this year after years with direct line, there premium went up silly for some unknown reason and saga were the best of the rest.

On 7/28/2019 at 4:26 PM, 08ISF said:

Interesting numbers. When I changed from a GSF to an RX450h earlier this year I was surprised to see my premium jump from about £300 to over £400. and that was the cheapest I could get after a bit of negotiation. How can an RX be higher rated than a 470hp 168mph super saloon? Mystery.

There was no increase in my insurance premium when I changed from a 2011 IS250 SE-L to a 2017 GSF. It made no sense to me and even the Direct Line sales representative was surprised,  but of course I’m not complaining 😜.

On 7/29/2019 at 11:46 PM, Herbie said:

The problem is that there are SO many variables you just cannot make any meaningful comparisons.

I know that one of the things that puts our price up is the need for both my wife and I to have business cover. Hopefully that requirement should cease in about 12 to 18 months, but the cynic in me says that I still won't see any reduction in premiums!

Both of our cars are also insured for business miles for my wife and myself. Again it made no difference with Direct Line. 🤷🏾‍♂️

7 hours ago, F.A. said:

There was no increase in my insurance premium when I changed from a 2011 IS250 SE-L to a 2017 GSF. It made no sense to me and even the Direct Line sales representative was surprised,  but of course I’m not complaining 😜.

Both of our cars are also insured for business miles for my wife and myself. Again it made no difference with Direct Line. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Direct Line seem to be cheap for insuring GS F, I ended up with a cheaper premium compared to my IS300h. Possibly they haven't had a claim against one so haven't put it in a higher risk category? It did come conditionally with a very high excess though.

5 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Direct Line seem to be cheap for insuring GS F, I ended up with a cheaper premium compared to my IS300h. Possibly they haven't had a claim against one so haven't put it in a higher risk category? It did come conditionally with a very high excess though.

Yes I think you are right. 

I found the same with the excess also. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/27/2019 at 9:45 PM, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

When you're due for renewal if you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Can you help with insurance please. Got on my rx £1447. 

On 9/12/2022 at 11:12 PM, Kazeem said:

Can you help with insurance please. Got on my rx £1447. 

I have found over the years that since insurance companies increasing make use of computerized proposals questionaires, very minor differences in your answers, particularly over occupation  and usage can make significant  differences to the premium. It is worth calling them and going over every aspect of the quote to make sure they understand fully your circumstances. For example, I have always had business use on my RX despite being retired as I volunteer in a couple of places and need to use the car to get to the venues. It was their choice to give me business use as the usage did not fit any of their categories, and I paid around £300 a year.

Until this year when their computer decided that business use was the same  as a rep using the car and my premium jumped to  £700+. This only got resolved by calling and hanging on for 30 mins to speak to a human, who when I explained  the true usage of the car, still covered me for  "business" use but then reduced the premium to about £260 !!  The insurer concerned is Privilege who for the last few years have beaten every online comparison quote for both our cars

Online negotiations have their place but sometimes you need to speak to a human.

• Like 1

I agree with this. Always better to speak to someone and explain your personal circumstances. I used to work for a charity and had to occasionally use my car for charity purposes. I wasn’t sure if this was ‘business’ use. When I explained the situation my cost dropped by £10.