Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does anyone clean their MAF sensor?

Just curious as some say it should be done periodically, others say leave it alone.  Personally I've never had one cleaned but I'd be interested to know what others think.

• Like 1

Had an engine light come up. In the end it was a lambda sensor but as a first step I did clean the MAF sensor. It is very important to clean it away from the car so that it is cleaned as an independent component. Do not touch anything but spray the very specific cleaner on it. Some 'brown gunge' fell away and spiritually it felt good, but in reality I am not sure it made must difference. but it felt good!

Yes but this is a bit like an air filter, it does get grubby and deteriorate. Having said that a clean ever 40,000 miles is probably a bit of over-kill. But as the cost is 50p......why not?

Why not indeed but I can't help but think if it were a "service" item it would be included in the manufacturers schedule?

You clearly know what you're doing but perhaps another may not be so careful? Unlike the air filter, it's not a simple swap-out.

If your OBD2 gave a reading as to a fuel problem then maybe a clean would sort it, but if no error code for fuel mix then why touch it?

I did spray clean Merc MAF sensors, not that I noticed any difference as it was usually the IACV that got choked with carbon.

Lexus MAF's may be a completely dfifferent style, so couldn't say it is a good idea.

Thanks for the replies. I ask for two reasons really.  The first is that I've noticed a very slight uneven idle, not enough to effect the rev counter but just about noticeable.  The second is that although I'm only on 68k, it probably hasn't ever been cleaned.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Clean the Throttle body first I'd have thought unless you know for certain that it has been cleaned.

Is your car a mechanical Throttle or drive by wire?

It's drive by wire. It's certainly not an issue I don't think, and it's only very slight.

I clean my MAF every year at the same time I clean the air filter (long life one that doesn't get replaced during servicing).
Whether doing it this regularly is beneficial or not, I dont know, but I've certainly not experienced any adverse effects.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

I clean my MAF every year at the same time I clean the air filter (long life one that doesn't get replaced during servicing).
Whether doing it this regularly is beneficial or not, I dont know, but I've certainly not experienced any adverse effects.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There are thoughts out there that suggest it should be cleaned every annual service, but as Peter points out it isn't in a service schedule.  I may just remove it and carefully use some MAF cleaner on it as it's easy to remove.

Just a warning if anyone is considering doing this, do not attempt it on the early models (1990-1994) as these use a different type of MAF which do not use the later type hot wire MAF.

• Like 2

Cleaned mine yesterday with proper MAF sensor cleaner.  Whether it needed doing or not I'm not sure,  but I do know it was black when it came out and shiny when it went back!  A two minute job plus drying time.

• Like 2

It is one unclip (the electrics) and two Phillips screws. Always do it off the car. Big spray from all angles. 10 mins to dry, then back in.

Dead easy to do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MLW said:

It is one unclip (the electrics) and two Phillips screws. Always do it off the car. Big spray from all angles. 10 mins to dry, then back in.

Dead easy to do.

As I sprayed rather a lot of cleaner I left it for a couple of hours!  If only every job on a car was as easy eh?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MLW said:

Do it on white kitchen paper and you can see the gunge come off.

Which makes me wonder why some are hesitant about cleaning it!  It's easy and inexpensive to do.