Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stupid question re headlights.

Working nights this week in the glorious heat. Driving to work noticed my drivers side hid bulb off. Cue thinking bulb had gone, or dodgy ballast, expecting another ££££ bill.

Drove home in the morning and when got home turned lights from auto to on via stalk and both lights worked.

Could it be possible for the heat to have affected the lights? Daft question but I don’t put anything past this car. Car on north facing drive so got the sun for most of the day 40deg plus on the drive in the sun. Especially drivers side.

Personally I would doubt that heat would be a problem for these.  It could just be a poor connection or that the bulb is on the way out.  I did discover on a previous Lexus that one bulb would come and go before it went kaput, but you'd need to be sure before buying a bulb as they don't come cheap! Also I found that mine needed changing in pairs as the difference between the old and the new was very noticeable.

Does your HID light looks little bit pink as well? Mine went pinkish white at first, then started eventually switching on/off - as sing that HID is on way out. As a temp solution, switching then on and off helps to turn the light on. As well good advise by Geoff - try swapping the bulb, that will indicate whenever the issue is with connection/ballast or the bulb itself.

I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me. Both lights definitely on when I left work after night shift at 5am. On the way home noticed one light was out seeing the reflection from the car in front. Got home and switched the lights off and on again, got out of the car to take a look and the affected light was barely on. The next morning after night shift I was looking at the lights reflection from the cars in front most of the way home, both seemed fine. Got home and had a look, the light that was giving trouble the morning before was absolutely fine and looked exactly the same as the other side, and has been fine ever since. Strange isn't it?