Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How to Clean Rear Light Drainage

Anyone any idea how to clean what I can only assume is for water drainage at the back of the car? Visible only when boot open.

Mine is pretty dirty. Not sure how to access for cleaning. Concerned about simply flushing it down as it'll clog up perhaps. Or cause a leak into the car.

Thanks

Screenshot_20190727-163227.png

Not sure it's anything to do with the light's drainage but simply the run-off from the boot seal channel.

I simply wipe down after each wash. Lots of Sahara dust in there this week!

• Thanks 1

as peter has said its the boot drainage channel, when you open the boot on a rainy day

this is where the water drains to off the boot lid.

just clean it like any other painted surface dont treat it any differently.

• Thanks 1

It's not so much cleaning what's exposed, but cleaning where it drains out / what'll happen if it blocks.

It's not just water and dust, but the odd leaf and chunk of debris that I can see has slipped down and cannot get out.

Where does it run to?

Pretty normal. Dirt, leaves etc tend to accumulate in those channels if left unchecked.

You can keep them reasonably clean by aiming a pressure washer at the bottom of the rear screen so the stream of water goes under the boot lid. Any crap in there will get flushed out onto the top of the bumper.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A follow up here guys...

I know you all said, don't worry! But every time I open the boot, the dirt catches my eye. And I live near a lot of trees with leaf and other matter often falling into the drainage.

I decided to take the rear lights out to have a proper look and it was pretty bunged up.

It was two bolts each side, easy to do. Pry two plastic covers off to access the bolts. Slide cluster back (slightly upward so you don't catch the clips and scratch the body work). Some photos attached.

There is now such a gap for water to flow into, that I thought the lights were not properly clipped back in at first.

I've not gone further down (into bumper) to see what's gone there, but at least I know there's no longer blockage for water to run in there and to be held by the lights / electricals / 12V Battery.

Screenshot_20190914-135317.png

Screenshot_20190914-135313.png

Screenshot_20190914-135310.png

Screenshot_20190914-135301.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

after reading this thread i noticed that mine where also starting to block up,

this afternoon i have removed both rear lights

then gave the paintwork behind the light a good clean and polish ,

my drainage channels where pretty clean in comparision to the OPs

the only difference on mine is that the 2 covers have been replaced by 1 full length

cover but once that has been removed it identical.

• Like 1