Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls430 (2003) rumbling sound

Hello

I've a 2003 LS430 with 185k miles on it and recently on the motorway I've been hearing a rumbling sound which I think is being emmited from a bad wheel bearing.

I want to determine which side it is on. When at 60mph I get the rumbling sound and when I turn slightly to the left the sound increases. However when turning right there's very little rumble sounds.

So which side is bad?

Or is it something else.

If it's more noticeable on turning in one direction I would say wheel bearing. If the sound increases when turning left then most likely the left side is at fault.

45 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

If it's more noticeable on turning in one direction I would say wheel bearing. If the sound increases when turning left then most likely the left side is at fault.

Thanks. Will check it out.

good excuse to get my tools out. With the lexus around they hardly see the day light.

38 minutes ago, Abid221 said:

Thanks. Will check it out.

good excuse to get my tools out. With the lexus around they hardly see the day light.

Bear in mind it could also be a tyre causing a rumbling sound, swapping the wheels around could eliminate that possibility.

My understanding is that if the sound increases turning left then it is the right side ie offside bearing which is at fault. The reasoning being the right side is loaded up in a left turn and if the bearing is faulty on that side it will make more noise.

25 minutes ago, GrahamG said:

My understanding is that if the sound increases turning left then it is the right side ie offside bearing which is at fault. The reasoning being the right side is loaded up in a left turn and if the bearing is faulty on that side it will make more noise.

Thanks. Hope I can figure this out. Left or right.

Also would it be a bad idea to use a Second hand original bearing rather than a cheap after market one.

I think mine are still on their original ones. If that's the case then they've given 185k miles on them. Which is real good.

not sure how long the after market one will last.

Hi

I replaced both of mine with Blueprint items, about £160.00 a side in 2014.

It was a while ago but I remember that I found a manufacturing code on them which indicated they were OEM.

40,000 miles later they are fine. 

1 was worn, the same symptoms as you describe.

Frustratingly the other side was fine, the remaining noise that I was trying to eliminate was from the tyres - Dunlops sports.

A change to Michelin tyres solved that.

ScottC

10 hours ago, GrahamG said:

My understanding is the opposite so it's pistols at dawn for us! Choose your weapon sir!😳

jack up the front, use a stethoscope on the back of the hub and spin the wheel.
You will soon know if the bearing is grumbling.

If neither of the fronts is the culprit, next check the rear.
Don't forget to put the gearbox in Neutral before testing the rear.

Yes, the rear could be the CV joints or the hub bearings.

Mine had a drone on some surfaces that had gotten worse as the weather got hotter.
I then let some air out of the tyres and the drone went away.
Now running 30psi all round and it's smoother and quieter than 33psi (2004, 18" wheels, 245/45-ZR18).

• Like 1

If you do jack up the car and a bearing is really bad the wheel will have play in it. Grab hold of the wheel [clear of the ground] top and bottom and push pull to detect any looseness. Also holding it 3 and 9 o clock. 

There are plenty of videos showing the process on Youtube.

Not of course as sensitive as George's stethoscope technique.

I had the same problem 4 years ago,  diagnosed as a front wheel bearing. I used a very experienced mechanic, I thought it was left side, he thought opposite, but on information I gave him he agreed probably left. I only use original Lexus parts and had to purchase the hub, at great expense. Fitted left and guess what ..... it was the right. Fortunately the hubs are interchangeable , so change over and all good, that was 30,000 miles ago. 

• Like 1

Managed to source a second hand bearing unit off a 100k mileage LS for just £35. Can't trust eBay ones. I'm sure the one I've purchased has still got a long life left in it.

Easy DIY job. Can't wait.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 12:13 PM, ScottC said:

Good luck.

I have done both of mine, 1 came out easily, the other side was stuck solid and took a bit of patience.

ScottC 

Just got my second hand bearing. The guy sold it attached to the spindle for £35.

It looks like it hasn't been used for a decade and is rusted all over. But that doesn't bother me.

I've removed the 4 bolts and now I'm struggling to remove the rusted bearing from the spindle. I've smacked the daylights out of it and I don't want it damaged so I stopped hitting it. I'm thinking that the guy sold it to me attached to the spindle cz he was probably unable to remove it himself. He probably gave up. Lol

Any ideas how I can get this bloody thing off.

Unlikely to be any good if you do get it off ,the correct way to remove it is a bearing puller and if you have been braying it with hammers and pry bars it will be wrecked even though it may look ok .

I take it you are referring to the front bearing?  Why not take a chance and get one of the new ones that I mentioned on a recent post, a complete new hub bearing assembly with abs sensor for about £40 on eBay. If it was me I'd give one a go.