Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre recommendations for 2008 IS250

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well.

I was wondering what are the absolute best tyres that you can buy for a 2008 IS250 SEL please?

I believe they are 245/45/17 at the rear and 225/45/17 at the front.

Im mainly interested in comfort and quietness. Budget is not an issue.

Many thanks!

No personal experience of them, but Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, Dunlop Sportmaxx RT have been very well-received by other owners and would be a safe bet.

Of the tyres I have actually had on my car, and previous IS's, my current tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport 4) are probably the best all-rounders I've tried to date, although these are more geared towards the performance end of things (which is my preference), so not especially quiet etc. In terms of comfort, Hankooks were easily the quietest and smoothest-riding tyres I've had on an IS. Both K110 V12 Evo & K117 S1 Evo 2 were excellent in this regard, and also had extremely good dry & wet grip levels. Not quite Michelin levels, but not bad at all, maybe 7/10 as good.

I've also had Pirelli P-Zero Nero (rubbish), Continental Sport Contact 3 (excellent, but noisy and quick-wearing), Dunlop Sportmaxx GT (pretty average, wouldn't buy again), Michelin Pilot Super Sport (amazing grip and steering response, but very noisy & harsh).

• Like 1

HI another vote for the Goodyear ,I have had these on now for 14000 miles and they are really good on all counts except wear as mine are down to 4 m/m now still good grip and will soon need to be changed .They replaced Dunlops, I can't remember which ones which were a lot noisier and when they reached 4 m/m most of the grip disappeared and I could light up the T/C for fun in damp conditions I was glad to see them go !! .Also a fan of khumo but only tried them on lighter cars so don't know about them on IS 250

Dave

When I bought my car it had P Zero's all round and they were awful, very noisy, didn't grip particularly well and just felt a little vague, having had very good experiences with Uniroyal rainsport 3's on previous cars I fitted these all round. The difference was like night and day, suddenly there was next to no road noise, a much smoother ride and better feel plus the grip levels of the uniroyals are really good and in the wet they don't seem to lose any of the grip. The only downside is they tend to wear a little quicker than say Michilen Pilots etc but at £60-70 per corner you can buy 2 sets of Uniroyals to one set of Pilots, (last set of Uniroyals I had I got about 20k rears and 25k fronts  on a 290bhp rear wheel drive car). Upto now on the IS they are doing very well 

15 hours ago, J Henderson said:

I've also had Pirelli P-Zero Nero (rubbish), Continental Sport Contact 3 (excellent, but noisy and quick-wearing), Dunlop Sportmaxx GT (pretty average, wouldn't buy again), Michelin Pilot Super Sport (amazing grip and steering response, but very noisy & harsh

I have got the Dunlop’s on my 250 right now ( came with car ) and from what you say I will not be getting them again and it sounds like all the others mentioned should be a marked improvement ( apart from the Pirelli’s)

paul m

On 7/31/2019 at 9:41 AM, MerchantOfVenice said:
Thanks guys will go for the good years.

However for the fronts I can get them in the asymmetric 5 but the rears only come in 245/40/17 but the car takes 245/45/17?

Any advice please? 

The difference between 245/45 and 245/40R17 is approx 1" in diameter, so not insignificant.

I personally like having the same tyre on each corner, so would stick to the OEM sizes and buy the older tyre (Asymmetric 3).

@Texas same here, I inherited the Sportmaxx GTs when I bought my previous IS250. They were OK I guess, but didn't really stand out or excell in any area.

Curiously, they were "MO" marked variants (Mercedes), so clearly not factory issued...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have been using SAVA all round which is owned by Goodyear.

Cost me £53 per tyre from HiQ including fitting

Ratings are C (fuel), A (wet) and noise is 66dB - These tyres are excellent in my opinon and has same thread pattern as the Goodyear but without the price tag, On wet the handling is mind blowing, grips very well. 

Hi guys,

I think im going to get the Good year assymetric 3. However the IS250 manual states the following recommended load and speed rating:

Front: 225/45/R17 90W

Rear: 245/45/R17 95W

However i can only find the following Good Years:

Goodyear Tyres / Car / Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 -
245/45 R17 95Y FP TL

Goodyear Tyres / Car / Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 -
225/45 R17 91Y FP TL

The fronts have a slightly higher load, and higher speed rating and the rears have the same load rating but higher speed rating. Is this ok?

Many thanks