Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

450h camshaft/crankshaft sensor location

As title says i have the error code p0017 crankshaft position camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor b and i have brought the sensor and as i am running out of money i want to fit the sensor myself but not sure which/where the sensor is, any help please anyone, my car is 2008 450h 

I do not wish to be the one to bring bad news, but this fault is often due to excessive ware/stretch in the timing chain. The fault is given because bank one camshaft is driven by virtually double the length of timing chain to bank two. This means that cam one is retarded twice the amount of cam two as the chain stretches.

John.

Thanks Britprius for your reply, yes that does seem to be the conclusion that the timing chain has been stretched, I spoke to a "master technition at Lexus and he said if it was a stretched timing chain then another fault code would come up, so I just wanted to change the camshaft sensor before committing to such an expensive job, so brought the sensor but now not sure where its located haha

Philip the sensors are near the front of the engine inside the V of the cylinder heads facing each other back to back just below the cover line. As you probably know a single bolt holds each one in place "having looked at the replacement". It is possible to swap the sensors to see if the code moves to the other cylinder bank. If it does the sensor is faulty if not it is the chain.

John.

Philip I do not know how skilled you are concerning cars. It is possible to change the timing chain without dismantling the front of the engine if indeed it turns out the chain is the problem.
I have changed the timing chain on a Mercedes 350SLC V8 "a very similar chain drive system" by only removing one cam cover, and releasing the tensioner. The job was finished in 2 hours.
The basis of the method is to split the new, and old chains linking them together with a split link after releasing the tensioner. Then with wind the engine over till the split link appears back at the top of the engine. The link is then used to rejoin the new length of chain, and the tensioner re engaged.

John.