Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight bulb recommendation please

Hi again everyone,

Just some more advice please. I have the Xenon headlamps. However there is a bulb that has a nasty yellow tinge to it!

What do you recommend as the best bulb to use for a replacement. Is it easy to do?

Also any idea about bulb recommendations for the fog lights too please?

Many thanks

The headlight bulbs are really easy to replace. They just twist into place and can only be fitted one way, so it's hard to screw up. The only thing is, access to where they are is a bit limited, so the air filter housing (driver's side) and/or the washer bottle filler neck (passenger side) need to be removed, or moved out of the way to give yourself room to work.

Headlights-03.thumb.jpg.7ef1fef7ef2c7af67b80e9eeec7b033f.jpg

You can see the washer bottle, minus it's filler neck, in this picture to give you an idea of what I mean. That's the high beam bulb that's partially exposed. The D4S HID bulb is found behind the plastic cover with the yellow warning sticker.

Headlights-07.thumb.jpg.a5dfb80bc438ae15abfd58f4af536233.jpg

I swapped mine for OSRAM "Cool Blue Intense" last year, and have been very happy with them. Slightly brighter than the OEM bulbs and they have a higher temperature rating which makes them slightly blue-er, or whiter than stock.

I'm yet to do anything with my fogs, but changing those bulbs is more of a pain. You either have to remove the bumper, or remove a wheel and peel back the plastic wheel arch liner to get access to the lamps.

Headlight - D4S

High beam - HB3 9005

By your description though, I'm thinking that it's the parking light / side light that could be the nasty yellow bulb you mean. if so, that's a W5W. Swap it out for an LED and it'll match the colour of the HID more closely.

Yeah, looks like the side light. If you turn the light switch to the first position they'll be the only ones lit up.

Bulb size is W5W 501.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

D4S bulbs from OEM manufacturers are typically around £85 each. I know I am possibly going to be shot down in flames, but I have used cheep bulbs from eBay priced at £14 for a pair without problems in 3 years of use. Even if the lasted only 1 year before needing replacement they would still be considerably better value. Also be aware that some bulbs on eBay come in what looks like OEM packaging, and at high price, but are in fact the cheap bulbs.

When buying bulbs go for color ratings of 4500 to 6000. The higher the number the bluer, and whiter the light. Over 6000 the light gets very blue. At 3500 and below the light goes yellow.

John.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MerchantOfVenice said:

Thanks J that’s great!

Also I’d like to change the fog ones too, would you know what type I’d need for these please?

Many thanks again 

HB4 9006

My pick would be OSRAM Nightbreaker, or Cool Blue Intense.

For the fogs....

FogBreakers-01.thumb.JPG.938bb8f9c6e8f767086650a8ff1b4518.JPG

I bought these for my previous IS250, but never got around to fitting them. They're no good to me now as 2011 cars have a different bulb type. You can have them if you can paypal a few quid to cover P&P.