Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's the latest on aftermarket coil packs?

I had a rough idle on my car about a month ago at the end of the MOT test.  The guy there read the code and suggested a coil pack (but he didn't know which one).  I thought it was just a hiccup because of all that lifting of the car so got home and disconnected the Battery to clear the code.  All was well after that.  I've driven maybe 250 miles since then (lots of short city trips), but yesterday, in the middle of crawling traffic, the engine suddenly started running rough (EML and VSC lights came on).  I wanted to get home so kept going - slow traffic - and would shift into Neutral when stationary to keep the car from shaking.  About 10 minutes later, though, the idle suddenly cleared and I came home fine.  Checked the code and I had a Pending P0356 (coil pack F).  Started/ switched off a couple of times and the Pending became Current.

With the rain and all, I haven't done anything today - I will take out coil pack 6, examine/clean and switch with 4 - see how that goes.

I've noticed lots of aftermarket coil packs around.  Denso seems to be available only from USA, but these others being sold - STARK, Lemark, Kerr Nelson, Delphi...  Anyone tried any of these?  I think I'll keep a spare with me even if the cleaning exercise works.

Cheers

PS I did clear the code and the lights stayed off on next engine start.

Finally took a look at it.  This one (6th cylinder) looks burnt on the top!  I took it out and checked it was an original.  The sleeve itself has no discolouration nor does it have any cracks, but the top colour indicates it's burnt, doesn't it? 

Is this just a coil gone/going south or is there more to it in your experience with these cars?  Started the car and it's still running fine (no EML).  Mileage is 81k.

Anyone on aftermarket coils?

IMG_20190731_102821.thumb.jpg.eb219b4979a26d5160f2be2d2eceb654.jpg

There doesn't seem to be much info coming your way on this!  I don't know much about aftermarket coil packs but I always think as long as it isn't a steering or brake part I'm happy to take the chance.

• Like 1

I bought a Denso ignition coil from Rock Auto in the USA [ about £65 ] and fitted it about two years ago and have had no problem. In fact bought another from same source and carry that just in case.

My RX350SE eats ignition coils. Three in six years. 

Yesterday Lexus Guildford carried out a 120,000 mile service which involves changing the spark plugs so I had them renew the only non recent coil on the rear bank of the V6. Although Denso is the OEM they did spot that the US coil was not Lexus.

• Like 1

There is a company called Walker that produce a whole range of aftermarket sensors, coil packs, etc. They are originally a US company, but they have a presence here too. I think they are trade only and you have to go through a motor factor. I don't have their UK contact details. But it's worth checking with your local factor to see if they can get parts from Walkers.

They do coil packs for the RX I'm sure they would be decent quality. I've used their coil packs and an oxygen sensor on an MX-5 before and they have worked fine. They appear to be better quality then the cheap Chinese stuff.

Their US website is here: http://www.walkerproducts.com/

• Like 1

I had a chat with a mechanic today (my car was already booked for a parking brake service/adjustment).  He didn't find anything wrong with the colour of the coil, so it's not burnt.  We switched bank 6 (the suspect coil) with bank 2 - now we wait for the next time there is a misfire.  The connector on bank 4 has a tightening clip on it, so it's pretty obvious these coils have caused issues in the past.

I asked the guy about aftermarket coils and he said Denso or Toyota and nothing else.  In the absence of any other recommendations in these forums or on net generally, I'll probably run with this for the time being.

However, in looking into this a bit more the one thing I've found is that the RX350 coil code 90919-02251, when referenced in the other aftermarket coils (including the Denso 673-1309), cross-references to 90919-02255.  In other words, the ignition coils for the RX350, RX450h and ES350 are the same spec.  Would you guys agree?

@GrahamG  I'm going to do the same -  put a spare in the car. I hope any trouble I have stays to the front 3.  But I want to try the 02255.

@Delphius1  There are some European manufacturers in the list as well.  Unfortunately my annual mileage is very low so I won't prove anything even if I have one installed.

I'd agree with your man. Denso or Toyota, nothing else. It's not only that the car will run rough, it's also the risk that your engine will eat a cat because there's unburned fuel being fed to it. I wouldn't be "experimenting" for the same reason, if the OBD code tells you which one is failing, I'd change it for new.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd close this discussion by giving my findings.  I took the coil out and wished I had examined it myself when the mechanic switched it.  The sleeve shows heat damage (picture attached).  Also, I went ahead with getting hold of a used 90919-02255.  Been using it ever since.  Works great.  I don't drive much but on occasion I do long drives.  Went to Amsterdam and back without any issues.  I like the 90919-02255 construction better, the sleeve feels stronger.  Anyway, worth the mention.  Cheers.

PS  Checked with the garage I'm using for the Lexus and they say they use aftermarket coils and not had a problem with them.  They are trade only so I can't buy them directly, but they did quote circa £40 for one.

IMG_20191023_145742.jpg

• Like 1

Delphi is in Gillingham Kent UK if that's any use for the future

they are a very reputable name in stuff generally but i know not of coil packs

Malc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malc said:

Delphi is in Gillingham Kent UK if that's any use for the future

they are a very reputable name in stuff generally but i know not of coil packs

Malc

I've heard good things about Delphi products including coils, but no personal experience.