Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS200/300 satnav - problem reading DVD

I know it's not good to double-post.  But I've had zero response to a post I made into the audio/video/electronics/security forum. 

I'm also guessing that because the satnav systems vary so much in different models, the real experts in 1st-gen IS 200/300 satnav installations might be more regular contributors in this sub-forum.

The problem I have may be familiar to IS200/300 owners.  The satnav says it can't read the map DVD.  So the entire system no longer functions.

Full details are in my other post at https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/120319-is300-2002-satnav-cannot-read-disc/

I have removed and cleaned the DVD (which was neither dusty nor scratched);  and I have also run a lens-cleaner disc in the unit.  Still the screen says 'unable to read map DVD'.

What else can be done to solve the problem?  Or has the laser disk-reader suddenly failed completely?  Any advice would be welcome.

I would probably say it's the lens,when I had my IS200 sport navigator I remember buying the wrong disc off the bay and it came up with unable to read disc,please check disc,however once I managed to source a genuine disc it read it and was fine thereafter until I sold it,however in your case you haven't changed the disc so it's not the disc and the module seems ok by the sound of it too

Thanks John (scudney) for your comments. 

My DVD is the original/genuine map disc, which has worked fine until now, so that's not the source of the problem.  I have run a disc lens-cleaner several times in the unit, so if there was dust or something on the laser-lens it should have been cleaned up.  But the screen still says "unable to read DVD".  I suspect this might mean the laser head itself may have failed or become misaligned.

My next step is to try a replacement DVD-reader unit.  Not a new one, but there are several used ones (out of scrap vehicles, no doubt) offered on the well-known online auction site.  My Lexus unit (which seems to be the same for both IS200 and IS300) is made by Denso and has the ref numbers 86841-53040.  It looks very much as if the unit used in the Toyota Avensis is the same:  it has the number 86841-53041. 

I wonder if anyone else has tried this "swap".  I'm aiming to try a second-hand Toyota unit.  Will report back on what I discover.  Maybe the screen will display a Toyota logo before it goes into navigation mode!

Depending on how that goes, I might then try to investigate and repair (?) the original unit.  Has anyone else dismantled/reassembled one of these, or found advice - in a repair-manual or on YouTube - on how to fix them?

If you can get a working denso one preferably the same as yours cheap enough its probably worth a gamble and that way you will also get to find out if its the unit that's faulty 

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update - and it's all good news.

Bought a used/second-hand satnav DVD unit (the box mounted under the boot floor) off the well-known auction site for a very modest price.  The one I bought was from a Toyota Avensis.  Made by Denso, with serial number 86841-53041.  Interestingly, it even came with the same mounting-brackets as are used in the IS200/300.

I swapped them over, connected the replacement one up - and hooray!   It works perfectly.  So this might be useful info for anyone else whose satnav says "unable to read DVD". 

In researching online, I have also learned that one possible explanation is that, with age, the power-supply to the laser head which "reads" the DVD does gradually reduce.  My Lexus (and its satnav) is 17 years old, so that seems the likely explanation.  There is a fix (explained on YouTube).  Basically you open up the unit and find the potentiometer which manages the power-supply to the laser.  Apparently there is an adjustment-slot which you can turn very carefully with a thin screwdriver or pocket-knife-blade to increase/decrease the voltage setting.  Too much, and the laser will burn out;  too little, and the laser isn't bright enough to read the DVD.

So I'm going to try that with the faulty unit which I have just removed, to see if that revives it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links