Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Things to watch for when buying used LS460?

(excuse duplicate post - browser crash)

As above, I am looking into getting an LS460 and want to quickly find out what basic things I should check for. I've tried the search, but could not find
anything specifically about the LS460 within the first couple of pages... but if there is something on this that you know about, plse re-direct me there...

A little about my toyota / Lexus car history:

2007 to 2017: had 5 Soarers (first was a 2.5 TT, then 4 separate 4.0 litre V8s)
2017-present: a 2005 GS430 sport.

Loving the GS430, but it's just gone thru the 150k miles mark and am thinking of something else / upgrading.

I've looked at a few LS460 for-sale ads on ebay/autotrader, and think I'm slightly moving away from the GS430 and perhaps moving to the LS460. There are a few possible
ones, with varying degrees of mileage, but apart from checking for recent cambelt replacements (and water pump replacements), is there anything
else I should investigate or watch out for when inspecting the cars?

Even though I think I'm more interested in the LS than getting a lower mileage GS430, I still have a few wee niggling doubts that I might miss
the speed and agility of the GS430... has anyone else gone from owning a GS430 to an LS460?... what were your reactions & feelings afterwards? Did you regret the
decision / love it / ambivalent?

Cheers,
Steve

Whilst I can't help with the transition from GS, I bought an LS460 yesterday and also own an LS400.

The LS, regardless of model is always going to be a luxury car first and foremost and is never going to feel sporty, however, that doesn't mean they aren't rewarding in their own right.

We've owned so many cars over the years and performance used to be the first thing on my mind, but since buying the LS400 a few weeks ago, we have since sold our "sporty" modern 2018 daily and replaced it with a 2006 LS460 and I couldn't be happier.

I drove it 200 miles home, didn't stop once and can barely remember the journey.

Drive one, adjust your expectations slightly, and I'm sure you'll love it. Just remember, even the swb version is a big car!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been in GS and LS and my view is this.

GS is like an LS but is more responsive on the gas at the lower revs, so feels more urgent from the lights. The LS will get there but will feel like it had to make sure its slippers were on properly before it pulls the nose up and goes.

GS feels like it is going to allow you to push on through a corner with more bravado than an LS, though an LS can do corners at speeds that mean any tractor around that bend is going to be embedded in the bonnet in the next second.

Never been in a GS in the wet, but I would suspect it is a little more stable.  Had my LS up to 125mph and to be honest that seems like my limit, though car as stable as a rock, never been in a GS at that kind of mph.

LS is quiter, though in my view not much in it on most road surfaces, though an LS versus GS on  a dead new smooth surface, the LS was so much better to be in.

So if ultimate agility is your thing I suspect the 460 might not quite cut it, but likely to be a close run thing.

The 460 is chain drive, so assume saving £500 - £600 every 60K to 90K miles helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the LS you want to be checking the suspension side of things as most I looked at were pending MoT failures needing work done (the one I bought needed some parts replacing).

From the top of my head for the LS460:

1. See if it's had a radiator replacement as I believe that can be a weak point
  2. Check for service history to ensure it's been looked after, ie oil changes & ATF changes etc
  3. Check the adaptive cruise control works - my radar sensor failed after a few weeks while in for a service and it cost over £2k to fix (that was after haggling down - initially the quote was over £5k!)
  4. If possible try and get an extended test drive as TPMS issues won't show for a minimum of 15 minutes (it may be even higher than that) - in my case the spare had been removed so I had to buy another spare and code the new sensor in.
  5. There's a video on Youtube showing how to access a hidden menu with error codes on the Mark Levinson system - luckily the only errors on mine were when unreadable disks were inserted but there have been reports of owners with faulty ML systems. May be this one 
  6. If possible try and connect with Techstream or an Intelligent Tester 2 to read any active codes and see a list of faults the car may not be reporting on the dash
  7. Check the Nav and ensure it's functioning - newer disks are quite cheap on eBay.
  8. Check the HID lights are working ok - I usually replace the bulbs in mine anyway but there's a chance on an older car they've dimmed or have failed and will be flashing etc.

There's probably plenty more but that's the first things I can think of!

• Thanks 1