Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Slight misfire with EML flashing

rincewind

Hi all,

My IS200 (2004) is slightly misfiring and not pulling properly, with the engine management light flashing.  This only happens when I restart the engine when it's already been run up to operating temperature i.e. if I've driven the car for a while, switched off the engine then restarted it a few minutes later.  I'm suspecting a sensor, possibly the Lambda sensor.  It's done 148k miles.

I know I need to get the codes read but just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

Paul

UPDATE

I've now read the codes. 

P0300 Random/Multiple Cyliner misfire detected

P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected

P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire detected

P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire detected

P0305 Cylinder 5 misfire detected

As in the original post, starting from cold it runs fine, it only seems to be happening when I restart from when the engine is already pretty warm i.e. it's been run up to operating temperature, switched off and then restarted a few minutes later.

Any ideas people?

• 2 months later...

So common problem usually is coil plugs, if you can get some good ones to swap and check if misfire is gone, that would be a case. Also it worth checking or even replacing spark plugs as if not much life left in those would lead to misfire. Another point if previous checks are all good to look test the injectors.

Yep, found the problem(s).  A small vacuum hose had come off the throttle body - it was that which was throwing the 'multiple cylinder' misfire code.  Once that was re attached, I was left with a single cylinder misfire on number 3.  Swapped the plug and the coil pack around with number 1 and the fault stayed on 3.  Swapped the injectors round and the fault moved with it to number 1 cylinder, proving that the injector on number 3 cylinder was faulty - it was breaking down when it got hot.  New OEM injector from eBay was £35, put it in and it's now running perfectly.

All that said, multiple cylinder misfires can be caused by a whole basket of things.

Cheers and good luck with finding the problem

Paul

Good job getting it sorted!

I'm hoping mine is not an injector problem because i haven't a clue where to start taking the fuel rail off haha I might check the ohm's of them when i get home to at least make myself feel smarter..

Getting the rail off is only a few bolts, then it pulls off the injectors (carefully). The only awkward bit It is that you have to take the throttle body sensor off to get to one of the bolts. It’s two screws, one of which is a sod to get out. Also, mark the top of the sensor across to the alloy of the throttle body as then you won’t need to calibrate it(they have a small angle of adjustment to set the idle values).

It took me about 30 minutes. Let’s hope it’s a coil pack or plug as they are very simple to swap out.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I checked the resistance of all the injectors and they are all the same some im hoping its not them because i dont trust myself to take the sensor off without messing it off haha

I put new spark plugs in but still misfiring, time for new coil packs..

• 2 weeks later...