Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement key fob

I bought my car with only one key fob. I already had techstream and a good cable, so bought a new spare key of an eBay seller for £100. Then coded the key to the car using techstream. You probably need to ask the seller that they can confirm the key is virgin since coding an alresdy used key would mean reseeding the key unit altogether and that should be avoided if you can. 

Also your current key will have a code like BG1EW or similar. It is important to match this too when buying.

Regards. 
Ian

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The deal is get the key blanked by some outfit with the capabilty to do so or reseed the key module using a defined process.

Thanks for the responses. Not being an engineer (electrical, mechanical or IT) and not having tech stream (which I probably could not use anyway) I guess the only solution is to get a replacement through Lexus. Anybody got any idea about the cost?

Thanks

You are looking at £350 to £400. Hence why it's worth getting techstream with a cable and a virgin key for less than half that price.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Thanks Alex. I have had a quick look at Techstream but there appears to be a lot of parts available. What would I need to code a new key?

Is it straightforward to code a key?

Hi tech stream users... Sorry to hijack, my wife's RX has only one key, and other than main dealer not found anywhere that can help.... 

18momths of ownership and not found the time to sort, no main dealer nearby.

Had a quick look on the links above and I reasonably confident in doing this myself.  However before I do, can you damage the car if done wrong... My wife would not forgive me.... Happy to take the risk of breaking the spare key fob.

Also wondering what other advances there are of owning tech stream.  Any cable recommendations...

Thanks Darren

1 hour ago, ianhu said:

I'm in hull and could do it for you. Where are ya?

Thanks man, I'm a bit away, but have been promising the kids a day trip to the deep for a while :).

Is it relatively easy to do. I'm not to fussed about the outlay and I'm a tinkerer... Just don't want to break the wife's car, some of the other customisations would be useful. The car is a pain in the arse for locking people in.

You would need to get hold of techsteam and a cable which you can obtain on eBay. I think some cable sellers supply techstream with cable but you'd have to check.

Thanks, 

52 minutes ago, Inazone said:

I used this one and it works fine.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282962742382

Thank you, I'll order the same, is this everything I need (other than the virgin key, obviously).

Thanks, 
Thank you, I'll order the same, is this everything I need (other than the virgin key, obviously).
Yes, you get the cable and the techstream software with installation instructions. I bought this to setup my remote windows up and down with the key fob, plus adjusted the auto headlight sensitivity. Not tried the key programing yet but I will cross that bridge once I have sourced a virgin key. I've read through the process a couple of times and feel fairly confident....

1 hour ago, Inazone said:

Yes, you get the cable and the techstream software with installation instructions. I bought this to setup my remote windows up and down with the key fob, plus adjusted the auto headlight sensitivity. Not tried the key programing yet but I will cross that bridge once I have sourced a virgin key. I've read through the process a couple of times and feel fairly confident....

I managed to get Techstream on my laptop about a year ago but couldn't get it to connect to the car, the seller said something about "a driver issue" any idea?

1 hour ago, ianhu said:

You need the mvci driver.

I think I've got all that, I'm guessing it's just a case of knowing how to install it....sadly it's beyond the capabilities of a mere carpenter!😟 I'll take a picture tomorrow and maybe you can confirm I've got the correct stuff.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions. If I cannot find the lost fob then I have decided to get a replacement through Lexus. This will cost around £330 (inc VAT) and my local dealer will programme the key at no extra cost.

While I am capable of navigating a ship around the world with just a sextant, chronometer, charts and nautical tables, I find any computer programming beyond my simple skills.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if the NX and IS key fobs are interchangeable? I've found a key which is for an NX but has the same numbers and codes on the casing as mine. The only difference being the boot release button is slightly different, but the style of key fob is the same.....