Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello

My 2003 LS had its ATF changed ~20k miles ago.

Was wondering if the ATF level is okay or should I top up?

I took out the dip stick when the car was hot and started. The picture with the higher level was when I turned off car. The one with the lower reading is with the car on. Thanks

IMG_20190804_131653.jpg

IMG_20190804_131459.jpg

To check the level you need the car at normal operating temperature, then park up and put the handbrake on.

Keeping your foot on the footbrake, move the gear selector from P, through every gear position to the bottom and back to P again, with a slight pause at each position for the gear change to happen.

With the engine still running pull the dipstick and read the level. Some dipsticks have an H and an L on one side so if yours is like that, make sure to read the level from that side as the other side may give a false impression. And hold the dipstick level to read it, not up or down.

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

To check the level you need the car at normal operating temperature, then park up and put the handbrake on.

Keeping your foot on the footbrake, move the gear selector from P, through every gear position to the bottom and back to P again, with a slight pause at each position for the gear change to happen.

With the engine still running pull the dipstick and read the level. Some dipsticks have an H and an L on one side so if yours is like that, make sure to read the level from that side as the other side may give a false impression. And hold the dipstick level to read it, not up or down.

Hi. Thanks

I don't think mine has the H and L indicators. Any idea as to where the oil level should be on mine?

Yours has two notches with the word HOT between them.

The lowest notch indicates that fluid level is low and needs topping up, the highest notch is the 'full' mark. Technically as long as the fluid is between the two notches it's OK, but I've always worked on the fluid being up to the top notch, but not above it because you don't want to overfill it.

53 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Yours has two notches with the word HOT between them.

The lowest notch indicates that fluid level is low and needs topping up, the highest notch is the 'full' mark. Technically as long as the fluid is between the two notches it's OK, but I've always worked on the fluid being up to the top notch, but not above it because you don't want to overfill it.

Do you recon I can top up oil but somehow pouring it in through the dip stick area?

11 minutes ago, Abid221 said:

Do you recon I can top up oil but somehow pouring it in through the dip stick area?

That's where I topped mine up from, so yes you can.

4 hours ago, Abid221 said:

That's the only way you can do it.

Get a funnel and pour very slowly.  when I change transoil on my LS400 I change what is in the pan every motor oil service. Ca 1.5 kg each time.  I have started using a weight scale to refill with exactly the same amount of oil that came out. Makes the level checking much less of a hassle. 

• Like 1

Has anyone on here had the ATF changed on their Facelift 430s?
Since we no longer have a dipstick, it seems to be a royal PITA job.
Perhaps get a garage to do it, but then need to find someone who'll do it right.
Currently at 117k miles and rising. :thumbup:

7 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

Has anyone on here had the ATF changed on their Facelift 430s?
Since we no longer have a dipstick, it seems to be a royal PITA job.
Perhaps get a garage to do it, but then need to find someone who'll do it right.
Currently at 117k miles and rising. :thumbup:

Yes how do we LS 430 people do an oil change?

Help much appreciated.

I've not watched this myself yet but a quick search on Youtube came up with this video, which is just over 6 minutes long:

Should you be so inclined, this video is 35 minutes long and shows how to measure the fluid level in a Toy/Lex without a dipstick:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links