Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

“Orange Pack” Orange Brake Calipers & Discs

Does anyone have information, technical or otherwise, about the orange-coloured calipers and relative discs fitted as standard on the F-Sport RC in the U.K. or offered under the name of “Orange Pack”as a €300 optional  in some other countries?  The discs are supposed to be bigger, which could well be true insofar as the price seems high for enameling alone.  And if they are indeed bigger, is their stopping power any greater because of it?

Front discs on my 2019 RC300h are bigger (14.0" versus 13.1" on the one piece disc according to the build sheets) and they are now two-piece (but not possible to separate the friction rotor from the hub/top-hat section) to promote greater air flow and cooling

I've not had the need to test out the ultimate stopping power but would imagine the 2019 spec will handle repeated hard stops better than the 2016 spec.

Rear discs and calipers appear to be identical to the older spec model, apart from being orange!

Also, just read the info that the two-piece (larger rotor) can only be used with alloy wheels. Steel wheels will cause the top-hat section to deform.

• 4 months later...

Having now experienced 5000km with the 2019 RC, I think the "orange pack" may well be better than the brakes on the earlier model, albeit

marginally.   Initially, when my memory of the previous car was fresher, I thought the firmer and maybe shorter pedal action, and the slightly

delayed need to brake on the approach to familiar red lights and junctions etc., might simply have been due to the newness of the pads/discs 

and tyres.   However, these characteristics have persisted to the point where I now take them for granted.   Braking scenarios at higher speeds

present so many more variables that I am unable to pinpoint any differences with the earlier system, but I am sometimes somewhat startled by

the quick response when merely touching the pedal at motorway speeds, say 130-150> kmh.   Whether distances are any shorter when coming  

to a stop from these speeds is impossible for me to say, but the impression of controlled deceleration is at least as good as it ever was.   

But... isn't the first thing you get on hybrids is the regen? in which case the difference could be simply more aggressive regen setting? 

Second thing to consider - the tyres, I believe they have switched to better tyres for face-lift. That (more than brakes) will impact stopping distances.

12 hours ago, Linas.P said:

... the difference could be simply more aggressive regen setting? ...

That's certainly possible.

12 hours ago, Linas.P said:

... they have switched to better tyres for face-lift. ...

No - at least not in my case.  I am comparing like with like.  My 2019 car came with the same OEM Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2s as I had on its 2016

counterpart.  I then did only 800km before putting them to bed for the winter in favour of Pirelli Sottozero 2s, which is also the same brand and

model as I had before (and which I would thoroughly recommend in terms of performance and durability though maybe not price to anybody with

a need for winter tyres).

• 1 year later...

I doubt they would simply sell you FL upgrades. Same thing as you can't buy FL lights, bumpers etc, or F-Sport bumpers for non-f-sport car. 

@Winghui Pang Your best bet is to get your callipers refurbished and painted in any colour you like... in the end of the day it is mostly only the paint which is difference between Orange Pack and normal callipers.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...