Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How would you put a value against this car.

2006 IS250 SE-L (13 years old) - the only issue with it is a stone chip and a scratched alloy wheel.

Service history to 25k miles and receipted service items after that. Currently on 36k miles.. Car is auto, has the ML system and has a sunroof and is metalic blue/grey. Everything works and drives like new. MOT history shows it has never failed an MOT or even had any advisory issued in its 13 years life.

We have not long bought a motorhome and the car, while i have been putting 1k miles on it a month for the past 6 months will be sat for a while now as i have just changed jobs also and this monthly mileage will be down to 65 miles. I am not going to get the use out of it so am toying with, at some point next year, looking to trade in two cars (this one and the wifeys) and look for an SC to share driving with the wifey.

I will probably change my mind when it comes to it but what woudl you think the value would be bearing the following points in mind

• Its 13 years old (14 by next year)
  • Low mileage (expect it to be around 40k miles)
  • Absolutely spotless (apart from above)
  • Part service history and full receipted

I am guessing the age of the car will be the deciding factor?

I would of thought around 3 - 3500, mileage may be a factor but what kills these is the road fund licence. I believe they would command more money, but for this one factor.

I can honestly say, mine has been a joy to own and drive, Cost has been fuel and oil changes, new plugs and a Battery. brake pads and discs new screen and that is it.

Owned for 4 years so can not grumble, never had an advisory in my ownership. Car is in near mint condition, in and out 66,000 miles in the best colour silver. 1G1.

I get loads of comments but the most offered 3,000. 

If being offered that sort of money ( about 3k) I would rather keep it and watch it ( very slowly ) fall apart, the build quality and equipment level is very high and worth ( IMO) a lot more than 3k but hey Ho it's only worth what someone will pay for it. As for the VED then yes quite high compared to later ( bland) vehicles but don't the manual VED!

paul m.

Mines is 188k miles and insurance is looking to write it off (again), if anyone believes (not many does) it is in perfect condition as much has 13 years old cars gets and certainly not where one would expect car with nearly 200k miles to be. Insurance is looking into £2800-3300 on Glass valuation. I am arguing on "like for like replacement basis" saying I cannot get SE-L for less that £3200 and even then they are in appalling condition (totally true). 

If my valuation is anything to consider and insurance will always try to skimp by at least 30%.... your car should be in value range of £5500 - £6500... one the mileage alone (that is where low miles cars are listed on AT as well). For some reason black cars seems to have premium - the cheapest I could find is £5500, whereas silver/grey (blue.. they say) could be had for less. However, you have mileage and option on your side - I have neither sunroof, nor ML. 

If I were you I woudl just put it on autotrader at the price I woudl be happy with... caring not what "people may think". Car is always worth what somebody is willing to pay, or how long somebody is willing to wait for the buyer. If you not going to receive any call in 3 months consider that too high - it doesn't like you in big rush to sell. Listing car doesn't cost much at all either.

Finally, if you fancy SC, put it description public perception of them is awful and many people are willing to "downsize" and you might be able to agree trade for £7500 worth of SC.. for the reason IS is more popular, desirable, universal and less unusual. 

There's a couple of low mileage SE-L's on Autotrader currently for £6K (one private and one trade), that seems to be the top end of the market. What price they eventually make is of course, open to question. Is that where you were thinking or were you valuing your example higher?

I'd be inclined to try the owners clubs here/facebook and maybe Pistonheads at a price you'd be comfortable with, as they may appreciate the exceptional condition / 'enthusiast owner' pedigree a little more.

I paid top money for mine. Silver Is250 late 2008 with 25k and FLSH.

i actually prefer the pre facelift for some reason. Something a bit old school about it in a good way. 

id pay top money again because it’s a fantastic car to own and drive.

I don’t think I paid over the top for mine ( otherwise I wouldn’t have bought it!) but when I went stood in front of it because it had a sun(moon)roof I found that the seller omitted to mention in the ad that it also had ACC....SOLD!

paul m.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Tyre Tread said:

Thanks Bob and Texas for clarifying.

Having experienced adaptive cruise control in a friend's Volvo, I'd pay NOT to have it.

Agreed. It's been on most of the loaners I've had whilst my car has been at the dealership and I find it obtrusive. It reduces your speed way too early for my liking.

• Like 1

On most models it's possible to use the ACC (or dynamic radar cruise control) in CSC (constant speed control) mode.

By default the ACC system will always be set to the maximum separation distance 

Yes, but you gotta remember you have switched out of ACC when using CSC! Or you could be surprised to say the least! Don’t ask me why!

• Haha 1

At very least your should not be using either if you overtaking on A-Roads - that is when PCS with scare hell out of you. ACC is basically only good for middle lane hogging on motorway in my experience. In outside lane it makes no sense if you overtaking - usually you should keep "Audi" distance otherwise people will cut you off from middle lane and on Lexus there is only "Lexus" distance setting which is enough for a truck to fit in ("safe distance"), in A roads it gets confused with turns and other obstacles so not recommended and it is really only good if you religiously keeping to speed limits set it to 70 and stay in middle lane whatever happens - in such case you can pretty much sleep behind the wheel and ACC will do the job.

I only ever successfully used Dynamic Cruise Control once on loaner Mercedes on trip to Scotland on A9 between Inverness and Perth - it was all the way 60MPH average speed, so no point overtaking, but stupid people could not keep consistent speed, so uphill they go 53 and downhill star going 61 or whatever and then realise they are speeding (probably indicates ~65) and sharply brake to 55 before the average speed camera (as if that helps... when do they learn how the average speed work?!). So standard cruise control did not work in that situation and it was kind of annoying to keep an eye in unpredictable brake checks. Did the same trip few years later in my IS250 and really understood where ACC would be well placed. Question is how often I do A9 in Scotland and the answer is that I did it twice in my life so far... no exactly common route! 

I think the biggest benefit is glass badge which look way cooler than standard one... and I guess occasionally you can use it when motorway is moderately busy and there is literally no point to be sitting in outside lane.... except in UK motorway traffic is mostly on and off, there is no middle setting for congestion and IS250 ACC is not "full speed" system, so really there isn't much opportunities to utilise it much. More often you can find suitable conditions in Continental Europe, like for example on autobahn you can set-it to 120MPH and it will do it when there is free gap, until you reach bit of traffic and it automatically slows down.. kind of relaxing, but you won't find such conditions in UK.

What I particularly didn't like was the fact that the ACC made you leave a large gap which other cars would move into causing the car I was driving to brake to open a gap which then another car would pull into etc etc.

It was just too sensitive and too urgent in its braking.

going back to the original post as a guide I bought my 2008 SE manual  with 32k on the clock about 4 months ago from a local main dealer (not lexus) , it has a full lexus service history and is in very good condition with only minimal signs of wear, there are a couple of stone chips on the front bumper and a slight scuff on one wheel arch, other than that there is not much I can say about it, everything works as expected and drives superbly, I paid £4800 which included a 12 month warranty

Sold my 2007 07 plate back in May for £5k. Had full Lexus history apart from a couple I did. It was in pretty good condition for its age so i chanced my arm on the price but it went. Had it 3 years and paid £7k for it so not bad at all.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I sold our MY2011 IS250 SE-L with F Sport Front and Rear Spoiler and 110000 miles on the clock for £5950 back in June. It was in very good condition with Lexus Warranty until Nov ‘19 and probably priced too low as it sold within 2 hours of me being back in the country (I advertised it whilst I was on holiday). However it was better than the £4000 I was offered as P/ex against the GSF so I was happy with that. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links