Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Grom Vline Lite Installation

iSalajee

@baviaannl I got mine from aliexpress from this link:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/lrjutYvyP

the quality isn’t as good as OEM and it’s slightly smaller in width by 1-2mm but doesn’t affect the functionality of the screen. The OEM was more matte and the aftermarket ones are slightly shiny. 

You want to look for one that looks like this (which is the OEM one from my car):

4AF64E17-64BE-4E79-9733-7A402FCAA05C.jpeg

1 hour ago, iSalajee said:

the quality isn’t as good as OEM and it’s slightly smaller in width by 1-2mm but doesn’t affect the functionality of the screen. The OEM was more matte and the aftermarket ones are slightly shiny. 

You want to look for one that looks like this (which is the OEM one from my car):

Weird about the size difference, any chance you could take a photo so I can see how it looks installed?

1 hour ago, iSalajee said:

@baviaannl yeah you can see on the right side of the screen how it’s smaller than the OEM screen but all the on screen buttons still work and nothing is left ‘cut-out’ if that makes sense 

0E374A38-2884-4AAE-9A90-BBF14B30ECEB.jpeg

Is the screen as touch responsive as the original part?  How long did it take you to replace?

@baviaannl yes it’s very responsive. The picture was taken at night so it’s not as clear but the screen is really good for the price. Like I said the black bar on the right side doesn’t affect functionality of the screen. I’m guessing the screen auto adjusted itself to make everything fit. 

To install the screen wasn’t that hard. There’s a video on YouTube of someone showing you how to repair the OEM screen. I followed the video up until he started soldering the wires on the screen and used a heat gun to soften the glue on the old screen and lift it off. The new screen had double sided tape already installed so it was a case of align and place down. Then re-assembly. 

13 minutes ago, iSalajee said:

@baviaannl yes it’s very responsive. The picture was taken at night so it’s not as clear but the screen is really good for the price. Like I said the black bar on the right side doesn’t affect functionality of the screen. I’m guessing the screen auto adjusted itself to make everything fit. 

To install the screen wasn’t that hard. There’s a video on YouTube of someone showing you how to repair the OEM screen. I followed the video up until he started soldering the wires on the screen and used a heat gun to soften the glue on the old screen and lift it off. The new screen had double sided tape already installed so it was a case of align and place down. Then re-assembly. 

Final question..... promise 😄  Could you link me to the video you used?  Just want to take a look before ordering 🙂

I've ordered a new touch screen, coming from China i'd imagine its going to take a few weeks.  I notice you use apple Car Play a lot, where did you route the lightning cable to on the dash?  As I'm having to take the system out again I might as well do this at the same time so would appreciate any pointers.

I drilled a hole in the bottom of my cup holder behind the gear stick.

The phone sits nicely upright in there

Brought the cable through from the glovebox under the bottom left corner of the stereo unit and along the centre consol

1 hour ago, Billnick said:

I drilled a hole in the bottom of my cup holder behind the gear stick.

The phone sits nicely upright in there

Brought the cable through from the glovebox under the bottom left corner of the stereo unit and along the centre consol

What length of lightning cable did you need to achieve this?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 8:06 PM, iSalajee said:

@baviaannl yeah sure. There’s two videos:

hopefully they’re helpful 

I’m doing the screen change right now.. got the console out and I’m looking behind the unit but there are so many leads attached, how on Earth did you ensure you got the right leads back in the correct position??

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 4:22 PM, Billnick said:

2m

Ive got some slack that I can pull out and poke back into the centre consol again, but I wouldn’t get less than 1.5m

Could you link me to the exact lead you have working through apple Car Play?  Bought a 2m from amazon although it only charges and I can't get a connection (standard original white lead works fine)

On 11/15/2019 at 2:39 PM, iSalajee said:

Thought I’d mention, I ordered the touch screen from the link you provided and got it installed last weekend.  For some reason, mine doesn’t have the difference in width or have the black bar on the right hand side as yours does.

For anyone thinking of ordering this part, I’d highly recommend it, it works very well.

Just ordered one for, hopefully not required, future use..... If it is fully functional as you say then For £19.25 it can sit on garage shelf just in case!

paul m.

On 12/30/2019 at 12:19 AM, Texas said:

Just ordered one for, hopefully not required, future use..... If it is fully functional as you say then For £19.25 it can sit on garage shelf just in case!

paul m.

It’s a quality replacement and well worth keeping aside if yours fails.

On 12/27/2019 at 4:20 PM, baviaannl said:

Could you link me to the exact lead you have working through Apple Car Play?  Bought a 2m from Amazon although it only charges and I can't get a connection (standard original white lead works fine)

Sorry I missed this....did you get a cable?

42 minutes ago, Billnick said:

Sorry I missed this....did you get a cable?

I got a pack of 3, all the same brand (3m, 2m and 1m). For some reason it didn’t like the longest although the 2m worked fine.

Firmware you say?.....

is that to take the VL upto 8.1?

As I did purchase ( was about £11 iirc) 8.1 from a guy on the US owners site that came on a micro SD card but have not got round to upgrading yet as it is working just dandy at the moment and don’t wanna jinx it.

Question? If I do the upgrade to 8.1 will I loose the Cargamma ‘skin’ I bought from the Gapps site ( was £1.99 I think) that makes the VL look a lot more upto date than the ‘blocky’ icons it defaulted to.

paul m

It is for 8.1 yes

I am not too sure on what might happen....as I installed it after installing the hardware itself so couldn't even tell you of any differences to previous firmware's.

Do you have a link to Cargamma please?

I do think the standard platform is a bit dated.

Cheers

Just went and checked, Dohhh it’s called Carlauncher by Agama! And was £1.99.

The centre of the first pics is in fact a digital speedo!

68E3410A-F282-4627-8EDE-08F6B1718D6D.jpeg

94BA28A0-6E91-4F6C-8E89-927EF6580BDF.jpeg

13B2694D-2B6B-4A55-BC38-4D9AFD21928F.jpeg

A59AD900-0C90-4EEC-A1D8-BB325FBEFA6F.jpeg

4392658F-263E-4FF8-B94C-44E8A0E76B97.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes I guess so on the Speedo/Nav point.

loads of options and settings to play with but I haven’t been through them all!

just went out and checked the options for central display

Speedo

Clock

Graphic equaliser

Logo’s

Sat Nav 

Compass/Altitude 

DEA1A1AC-CFE2-4BA7-9368-4D27B4ED35A6.jpeg

2C3040EE-AC8B-47C7-A024-77817BF82D19.jpeg

1CA48559-F14B-44DB-96F8-B363FB5A3695.jpeg

F2A137CB-A798-4A42-9AA8-A49001227041.jpeg

65D09E49-6F0A-4C7F-9D53-F4117E178567.jpeg