Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've been having an intermittent issue with my car very recently. I filled up with fuel Morrison's and about an hour later I went to set off from rolling through some lights and put my foot down. Instead of kicking down and launching off as normal the car just stuttered and hit what felt like a rev limiter. It would continually bounce from 2k after this point.

Called the AA out and they said mechanically they can't sense anything wring and it's as if there was fuel starvation or something. He recommended taking it for diagnosis. There was no light on the dash and the reading came out as per the image here. This code though had no time stamp and could have been from some time ago before I even had the car?

That said my garage said it's probably best to replace the crankshaft position sensor as that would match up to the symptoms. The day I took it to them it didn't have a problem.

Two days after the new Denso part was fitted it's back. Only when I first set off and put the car under load right away. It'll hit 2k and bounce back. Then it settles and all is well. Performance seems as usual and it does feel like it's running smoother.

I have also put a full tank of premium fuel in the car in case it was just a dodgy tank as turns out Morrison's have a reputation for it. I do normally use premium fuel.

Have you guys any ideas what else it could be if it persists?

All of a sudden seem to be developing niggly issues which I am determined to iron out!

Thanks, Alexander. 94b0ffe55cbea83a5dd457584193907c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It seems a bit more than a coincidence that this happened after a fill up with supermarket grade petrol, have you been back to enquire if there have been other complaints?

I would also question your garage diagnosis of the crank sensor, when they fail they generally cause poor or non starting when the engine is hot and revert to normal operation when cold, in other words they become temperature sensitive and not limited rev range.

The MAF sensor as previously mentioned can cause this fault but would normally throw up the Engine Management Light, diagnostic codes from the engine computer is easy using just a bent paperclip.

A word of caution ….. do not attempt to clean the MAF it is a special optical one not hot wire called a Karman Vortex ….cleaning it will completely wreck it.

Next time the fault occurs try unplugging the MAF and see if the car will then rev above 2K, the management light will come on but extinguish when the MAF is reconnected.

The fuel filter is another possibility if crap was present in the fuel, a pig and messy to replace but cheap enough.

Another option is to drain the tank and then refill with some decent stuff to see if the problem goes away.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Tried a new MAF from Canada on eBay and it just caused engine light to come on and hunting revs even after resetting the ECU.

Trying one from China next and also having the old one tested with a multi meter.

Can't believe if this is the issue how difficult it is to put right. If it isn't the MAF then I'm worried about what it could be. Have also changed the fuel filter and fuel pump was mentioned but the garage didn't have the equipment to be able to test the pressure.

Argh! Has anybody else had these sort of issues?

Rather assuming that you will be aware of this Thread, or someone has mentioned it ?   Read symptoms. 
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/656360-all-my-crazy-lexus-issues-solved-ecu-leaking-capacitor.html
Oh gosh.

One there is bang on my problem. Is there anybody in the UK that repairs these? Anybody had one done?

Ta!

1 hour ago, ajchetcuti said:

Oh gosh.

One there is bang on my problem. Is there anybody in the UK that repairs these? Anybody had one done?

Ta!

I’ve also PMd you 😀

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...