Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• 1 month later...

saturday I am taking the car to nigel langs in bolton, hopefully to correct the left pull, balancing, alignment and steering centre position. basically a full geo setup, hopefully.

i have noticed recently my headlights flickering ever so slightly, its noticeable when pulled up behind someone in traffic - very annoying - anyone seen this problem? there doesn't appear to be much about it on these forums

also my TPMS came on last night, am i right in thinking this happens when PSI drops to 20? I run 35 all round, and this is the second time this has happened. assuming i don't have a slow puncture, what else could cause this problem? car is fitted with pirelli p7 all round, only done in august

just bought a vxdiag unit, going to check out the cars setup on techstream when that arrives

keep on lexusing!

Hi good choice with Nigel Lang ;They have a hunter set up ,I have used them before and they are very fussy about the set up being perfect ,they also did my MX5 some time ago and did a very good job.With regard to theTPMS try a reset or it my be a sensor Battery problem which has been covered on the forum before

Dave

thanks Dave, i think the tyre is low though, i was wondering what could be the cause if not a slow puncture - could the tyre fitter have done something incorrectly? or could the rim be the problem?

hi if the tyre is going down after a new one and not punctured  test the valve for leaks also could be residue from the old tyre stuck on the rim and not sealing correctly , the same would be true if there was corrosion on the rim (inside ) then a bead seal would do the trick

For cars of a certain age it's good practice to get the inside edge of the rim cleaned/roughed up a bit before the tyre is fitted. Probably only have to do it once on each wheel but any fitters worth their salt will do it. Last time I had this issue the fitters just spent 2 minutes on each wheel with an electric grinder and they were fine after that.

hopefully the chaps at Lang's will have enough time to sort all these issues, they are little niggly things that have been annoying me for a while! the alloys do need a proper refurb though, anyone know of anywhere I can get them done?

so the list is:

remove all tyres, check/file rims, check valves, re-fit, balance
alignment, geometry and steering centre position

joy!

I know a good place in Sheffield but that's not really local for you. I've had 4 cars done there with very good results. Two Lexus and two Saab, tyres off, shot blasted, powder coated. 

Re-reading your recent posts if the pressure is genuinely low it seems more likely you have a slow puncture rather than a badly fitting tyre. If you had the work done in August it would have shown up before now I think.

If you are looking for a wheel refurb in Manchester area I can recommend Prestige Wheels in Stockport. Whatever you do get them powder coated rather than just painted, which a lot of so-called refurb places do.

But a wheel refurb if you just have a slow deflation is a bit drastic, unless your wheels really are in a state. A decent tyre fitter should be able to diagnose what's wrong and cure the problem.

4 hours ago, fred81 said:

sheffield isn't too bad for me - i like driving the car 🙂 - whats the place called? what kind of price am i looking at?

CBF Powder Coating. But whatever price they quote you keep in mind I've never paid more than 200 quid for 4 :wink: The first ones I had done are on my IS and still look great 2 years down the line.

1 hour ago, johnatg said:

But a wheel refurb if you just have a slow deflation is a bit drastic, unless your wheels really are in a state. A decent tyre fitter should be able to diagnose what's wrong and cure the problem.

Agreed.