Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have accidentally pressed the valet lock on my 1998 LS400and as I only have grey (valet) set of keys and not master set, I can't now get in to the boot. I have seen that if you can get into the back of the valet lock there is a simple way to release it and be able to use the switch to open boot, but I cannot work out how to remove the panel (to the right and below the steering column to get in behind the boot switch/petrol switch/valet lock cluster. Can anybody advise. Many thanks.

Frank

You start by removing the steering column enclosures top and bottom section this will reveal screw heads for the upper part of ths facia the screws that release the bottom part above the footwell are located in the panel pointing upwards in several locations.

Google LS400 interior parts diagrams and search for diagramatic blow ups for info on secure fastening points

Thanks ambermarine. 

The valet lock is between the petrol cap and boot release switches to the right and below steering column. Locks the boot and requires master key to open it. So if you give somebody - a valet I guess - secondary set they can't get into boot.

Remove the ignition key trim piece ( just clipped in, use a wallpaper scraper with the blade taped to start it off) Picture 1.

Remove the bolt in the middle of picture 2

Remove the bolt in centre of picture 3 located below the coin tray.

This should allow you to access the boot release and release the lock from behind.

P1010708.JPG

P1010709.JPG

P1010710.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Steve, I managed to get in this way, access the back of the valet lock and release it. Didn't manage to undo the bolt in photo number 3 so the bottom of the panel was still in place and clip that went round the lock disappeared before I could fish it out. I think this means the lock is will no longer work - which is what I want! Thanks again.