Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Many Hands Touched My Brand New ES?

SH20

From the Lexus paint shop in Japan to driving my new ES off the dealer's premises  today I wondered how many people had laid hands on my long awaited car.   I guess there were a few people on the long journey from Japan which accounted for the 19 miles  on the clock before I selected Drive and  moved off from the dealer's forecourt today.  It was just plain daft of me to expect the solid black paintwork  not to have suffered  from all the good intentions of the factory paint shop staff, contract drivers on and off the ship,  the transporter driver in the UK and last but not least the dealer's own "prep" dept, all of whom have collectively given me about 3 days paint correction  to complete.   Anyone who picks up a dual action or rotary polishing machine should be licenced in my opinion,  I wish.     Still I doubt if anyone intentionally put the swirl marks in the top lacquer coat and in any other colour it would probably not even be noticed because it's a new car so what possible damage could be done?.  For me it was never going to be any other colour than solid black and Topaz trim. My fault you might think but when solid black is sorted it can look like a mirror.    

Can't get my head round the left hand side multi function steering wheel controls and the handbook doesn't help.  Might have to ask a salesman to talk me through it.  So much going on visually with menus and sub menus.  Only got 2 hard copy manuals, a user's manual and a service book.  Had to ask for them well in advance,  all online now.   Ever seen the manuals for a 2007 LS460 or a 2012 GS450, it's like having a library in the glove box. 

However  the car itself is just outstanding, tight as a drum, not a squeak or rattle and drives with impeccable manners, build quality superb.   In the 100 miles I covered coming home to West Yorkshire it averaged 52.4 mpg,  50% motor way and 50% B roads.    Was I expecting just too much regarding the paintwork for my first ever new car, maybe,  but part of the joy of being an anal anorak with an unhealthy obsession about detail and perfection is that it gives me something to do and if I'm honest putting right other people's carelessness makes me smile just a little.   

• Like 3

Let’s see some pics of your ES.  It’s good to see pics of U.K. ESs.  

Regarding the paint it would have been perfect when it left the factory and transportation wouldn’t have created swirls so I’m guessing it was the dealer who added them by using contaminated cloths either in the washing or waxing phase.  Depending on the level of swirls I may have rejected the car until it was rectified.

My current NX is Sonic Titanium and it hides marks fairly well but my ES, which arrives at the docks this Thursday, is deep blue and will show every mark & swirl.   I’d be disappointed if it has swirls in the paint. 

i just asked the dealer NOT to do any waxing or other treatment to the paint, with exception of the normal cleaning. That way i'm assured that i can let the black paint shine like it should.A day before i take the the car to the road ,i go to the dealer and start my own cleaning and detailing proces, never fails ! 

• Like 1

I love Black but the colour always fails the Garage fluorescent light test !

Therefore I always select a metallic equivalent to Black which minimises swirls & the Panoramic Roof helps too this time.

The Paint damage was done by the Dealer & should be rectified by them.

Then clean with the 2 Bucket System & never ever use a leather .

Tel

I agree, the with everything that has been said,  the car came wrapped up but that means nothing to the vehicle prep guys at dealers.    They work for 40 hours a week I guess cleaning and  being responsible for new car prep.    These guys would be the last people that should try and rectify swirls in lacquer caused by filthy worn out drying towels etc. My faults will be removed by me using a duel action polisher after I clay bar each panel and then using a light cutting polish on a mid range sponge pad on mid speed, just enough to bite into the top coat.    I will then degrease the panels to leave the top coat bare of anything before a coat of Fusso 99 a well known Japanese soft wax is applied.  No vehicle prep guy or "valeter"  I've ever seen at dealerships would know the back end from the front end of a polishing machine.         

Steve, have you mentioned this to the Lexus centre?  I’m sure the sales staff and centre principal need to know your dissatisfaction with the vehicle presentation.  It’s a shame it’s happened as Lexus paint finish is flawless when it leaves the factory - or should be.

• Like 1

Hi Pete,  no real point raising this with the dealer.   They have no bodyshop on site and this minor but annoying problem is a paint shop area.  Moreover even if they did have a paint shop they would use a rotary  machine polisher with a wool mop head for speed alone and probably leave polish residue in every nook and cranny.      It gets results but not on my car.  Dual action polishing machines are kinder to the paint but take longer but you have to be patient.    The dealer is very good in all areas but prepping solid black painted cars.  No not their area, no matter how many black cars they might  sell..   The Service and Sales staff are very good hence I placed my ES  order 110 miles away where I bought a pre owned LS460 and who I sold my GS450 to.  Any other colour would probably not be given a second glance on collection but I just knew I would end up sorting the  car.    Probably given everyone the impression the car is a mess, it's not, I'm very pleased with it but when I'm done the paint will look factory fresh again. Like I said,  Anal.  

Jobs to do,  Paint,  front and rear dash cams, mud flaps, my own sill jacking plates x 4   and anything else I can think off on the way.

Steve, have you thought about wrapping the frontal areas to protect against the inevitable stone chips?

I’m still unsure whether to go down this route with my ES given its low nose.

I’ll probably get the wheels ceramic coated given their complex anti-wheel woolly friendly spoke design.  Do I trust the dealer to apply G3 to my hyper-chrome finish wheels?😬

Nice choices to have Pete.  The wrap idea sounds good, I'm guessing the clear wrap is what you are considering.    Not thought about ceramic coat on wheels but again sounds like a plan given how hard that stuff is.  It will give hot brake dust nothing to hold on to.    C3 needs fairly quick application but once dry as you now it's like concrete.  

First thing I did this morning was to remove the badges off the boot lid.  Not for me all that cleaning in and around letters and numbers. I like minimum and don't need to be reminded what car I drive. They came off easy as the adhesive hasn't  had enough time to harden.   I'll put them back if I ever trade it in.   I'll leave the Hybrid badges on as they are low down but would have preferred if they had been an oblong one piece badge.      

Photo Boot ES.jpg

I am afraid that this is a risk you take if you choose solid black. My previous car as a solid black RX450h with cream interior: it certainly looked stunning, but I swore to never ever buy a solid black car again. My current white NX is easier to keep clean.

One of the first things I checked when I went to pick my car up and in the knowledge that the car had been in the air on a two post lift with swing arms was to check the sill flanges. The small vertical spot welded  joints where the floor meets the inner metal body sill.

All my previous used cars suffered from bent sill flanges due to mechanics not positioning the  swing arms correctly.  I always repaired  these sill flanges before  I could fit  my removable flange mounted jacking plates.   I now simply transfer them from car to car and today I fitted them to my ES.    This will guarantee no bent over sill flanges in the future although I always have to point them out to the technician before my car is hoisted in the air if they use two post swing arm car lifts.  Capable of supporting the car over a greater surface area and are a permanent fixture till I remove them for my next car.     I know some members have their own versions for home use but when I take my car in for servicing and/or warranty issues/claims I just make the technician aware of where these plates are located, the same place where the scissor jack would be used.  One more job done.   

1897248513_JackingPlate.thumb.jpg.c9f99bbff29b4c26295ecb3bc1078b9a.jpg

From the Lexus paint shop in Japan to driving my new ES off the dealer's premises  today I wondered how many people had laid hands on my long awaited car.   I guess there were a few people on the long journey from Japan which accounted for the 19 miles  on the clock before I selected Drive and  moved off from the dealer's forecourt today.  It was just plain daft of me to expect the solid black paintwork  not to have suffered  from all the good intentions of the factory paint shop staff, contract drivers on and off the ship,  the transporter driver in the UK and last but not least the dealer's own "prep" dept, all of whom have collectively given me about 3 days paint correction  to complete.   Anyone who picks up a dual action or rotary polishing machine should be licenced in my opinion,  I wish.     Still I doubt if anyone intentionally put the swirl marks in the top lacquer coat and in any other colour it would probably not even be noticed because it's a new car so what possible damage could be done?.  For me it was never going to be any other colour than solid black and Topaz trim. My fault you might think but when solid black is sorted it can look like a mirror.    
Can't get my head round the left hand side multi function steering wheel controls and the handbook doesn't help.  Might have to ask a salesman to talk me through it.  So much going on visually with menus and sub menus.  Only got 2 hard copy manuals, a user's manual and a service book.  Had to ask for them well in advance,  all online now.   Ever seen the manuals for a 2007 LS460 or a 2012 GS450, it's like having a library in the glove box. 
However  the car itself is just outstanding, tight as a drum, not a squeak or rattle and drives with impeccable manners, build quality superb.   In the 100 miles I covered coming home to West Yorkshire it averaged 52.4 mpg,  50% motor way and 50% B roads.    Was I expecting just too much regarding the paintwork for my first ever new car, maybe,  but part of the joy of being an anal anorak with an unhealthy obsession about detail and perfection is that it gives me something to do and if I'm honest putting right other people's carelessness makes me smile just a little.   

You should get decent results with DA on black Lexus paint, which is soft. I use forced rotation which is safer than a rotary, but offers a lot more cut than a DA. Wool pad with Koch chemie H8 then refine with M2 using an orange waffle pad.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Hi Kellogsj,   Not heard the term forced rotation, what is that?.    

Although I removed the rear boot  lid badges I did fit my quarter panel badges which I had on my LS460 and GS450.  A more subtle reference to the brand I think.  Front dash cam now installed,  just need to run the cable for the rear camera which is more involved.  Paint correction next week.  .    

Badge 1.jpg

Camera.jpg

57 minutes ago, SH20 said:

Although I removed the rear boot  lid badges I did fit my quarter panel badges which I had on my LS460 and GS450.  

What is the best way to safely remove the boot badges?

Hi Dan, if the badges have been on a while then the tape that holds them to the panel will be hardened but using dental floss you can saw from behind the badge and the floss tape will cut through the adhesive strip.   Likely to leave behind some tape on the panel but using your thumb you can push against the tape and it will bunch up and then you can pull it off in little balls. This will take a few minutes if the badge tape is old.   You can use cellulose thinners on a rag and gentle massage the residual  tape, it won't remove paint. 

My badges on my ES have only been on a few months given that the car was built earlier in the year so just pulling on the badges they gave up easily and at least 99% of the tape came off with them.  A little clean up and it looks like they were never on.    I wish Lexus gave customers the option to opt out of badges  like BMW do.  

Often, it takes longer to mask up the delicate areas of a car you don't want the cutting, polishing, finishing pads to touch before you even start to machine polish a car.    

Paint Prep.jpg