Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus 17" Alloys - Are these DHP Alloys?

Hi! 

Although I've owned my '97 Mk3 for nearly 3 years this is my first time posting on here!  When I bought the car it came with a set of Lexus 17" alloys (see pic).  Does anyone know if these are the alloys that came with the DHP option on the Mk4?  And were these alloys available as an option on the Mk3?  I currently have aftermarket 18" alloys fitted, but was wondering if the Lexus alloys were actually the correct ones for my car if I ever wanted to revert it back to original spec.

Thanks for any help!P1010458.thumb.JPG.c5a12725604f17d728b859ab0759221d.JPG

They never came on the MK3 the DHP was a option on the MK4. So your car would have originally come with 16" wheels. I have the DHP wheels on my MK3 and I think they make quite a difference to the look and also a bit more grip being 245's instead of 225's.

Biggest problem with the DHP wheels is finding the correct size tyres. They run Pirelli assemetricos which are £250 new! Ouch. They are the same size as base spec XK8 wheels/tyres though so sometimes you can pick up tyres searching under that.

Thanks for the responses.  These wheels have 225/55/17 Avon Tyres fitted (although the spare has a 215/55/17), so it looks like someone has replaced them with an easier to find size.  For awhile I did ponder whether to put the wheels back on my car as the tyres are hardly worn (and the tyres on my existing wheels needed replacing soon).  But as I'm currently on 245/45/18s I didn't really want to take a hit on the handling, and besides I prefer the look of the aftermarket wheels (although I appreciate they're not to everyone's tastes).  So I decided to stick with them. 

Yes, it was an option on the MK3 model in 1995 - at least in Germany.

Wheel type: 54007001 (produced by O.Z. for Lexus)
                   17" [8Jx17 H2] / offset is ET40

Non-DHP:    Dunlop SP Sport 2020 E 225/55R17 97W

3 Extras 1995 ls400..JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for that info - 54007001 is stamped on the wheel.  I was actually just about about to retrieve the rest of them from the shed to take pics to sell them, but now I know they could've been the originals for my Mk3, I think I'll keep them for the time being.

21 hours ago, plexus914 said:

Yes, it was an option on the MK3 model in 1995 - at least in Germany.

Wheel type: 54007001 (produced by O.Z. for Lexus)
                   17" [8Jx17 H2] / offset is ET40

Non-DHP:    Dunlop SP Sport 2020 E 225/55R17 97W

3 Extras 1995 ls400..JPG

Didn't know they where an extra on the MK3, I stand corrected!

Thanks for the responses.  These wheels have 225/55/17 Avon tyres fitted (although the spare has a 215/55/17), so it looks like someone has replaced them with an easier to find size.  For awhile I did ponder whether to put the wheels back on my car as the tyres are hardly worn (and the tyres on my existing wheels needed replacing soon).  But as I'm currently on 245/45/18s I didn't really want to take a hit on the handling, and besides I prefer the look of the aftermarket wheels (although I appreciate they're not to everyone's tastes).  So I decided to stick with them. 
Hi,

I've just had a set of 18s fitted to my LS400. What tyre pressures are you running? As not being a standard side it won't be published anywhere.

The wheel company said, start at 34psi which is pretty vague?

Thanks!

Alex.dce9608010979830372390b64f423d93.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ajchetcuti said:

start at 34psi which is pretty vague?

seems pretty precise to me tbh .........  you're going into almost unknown territory with the Ls400 and there's little precedent I'd have thought

The way you drive, the car's handling etc under load etc  will play a huge part in what pressures you will finally be happy with

Malc

seems pretty precise to me tbh .........  you're going into almost unknown territory with the Ls400 and there's little precedent I'd have thought
The way you drive, the car's handling etc under load etc  will play a huge part in what pressures you will finally be happy with
Malc

I think it was just recommended for the tyre rather than the vehicle and not sure how much lower it's possible to go or even higher! Don't want odd tyre wear on brand new tyres, that's for sure. It still rides great on them which is good!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, ajchetcuti said:

Hi,

I've just had a set of 18s fitted to my LS400. What tyre pressures are you running? As not being a standard side it won't be published anywhere.

The wheel company said, start at 34psi which is pretty vague?

Seems like a reasonable starting point.  I've been running at 35 which is purely based on what the previous owner was using.  The rears have worn slightly more in the centre, and the fronts slightly on the inside edge, but nothing major.

• 3 weeks later...