Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX300 front suspension deflating both sides.

My front suspension deflates overnight on both sides evenly and then pumps up when I start the car in the morning. The rear retains the air OK. During driving I occasionally hear the compressor kick in so I am guessing there is an air leak somewhere, but where? As the front deflates evenly it would not suggest the struts themselves. Any ideas?

RX300 2003 second generation.

Put some water in a spray bottle and add Fairy Liquid or other washing-up liquid then spray (or brush if you haven't got a spray bottle) the soapy water over all pipes, joints, struts etc.

Where you see bubbles form, there be your air leak :thumbsup:

• Like 2

On 8/14/2019 at 2:59 PM, TR7 said:

My front suspension deflates overnight on both sides evenly and then pumps up when I start the car in the morning. The rear retains the air OK. During driving I occasionally hear the compressor kick in so I am guessing there is an air leak somewhere, but where? As the front deflates evenly it would not suggest the struts themselves. Any ideas?

RX300 2003 second generation.

Struts fail individually in my experience...

Any progress?

• Like 1

Had it into Lexus the other day for assessment but all they could come up with was to replace both front struts with no guarantee of solving the problem. I don't think they tried very hard to find the leak so will try the spray liquid on all the pipes.

Would be useful for have a pipe layout plan if anybody has got such a thing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Checked all the connections an unable to find a leak. As both front struts go down evenly I suspect it may be leaking from an air release valve but where is it?

Also found what looks like an air tank half way down the car but unable to see it purpose?

If its anything like the Range Rover P38 I had then the air tank is there to enable the suspension to give a fast response to the changes in height of each suspension unit.

Without it you are relying on the compressor to be nearly constantly working to allow the suspension to make alterations.

With the air tank then the air is taken out of the tank as required then the compressor is just used to keep the tank at a suitable pressure.

Noticed your user name .. I am guessing you are a former TR7 owner? 

Mine was a S reg in red with black roof.

• Like 1

Now that makes me jealous .. the drophead looks better than the hardtop.

Loved mine, parking was an art, could not see the front (just where the bonnet joined the windscreen) unless you put the headlights up than added around 8 inches.

Could not see any of the back through the rear window unless you eased yourself up in the seat and tiptoed the pedals... but great fun.

• 2 months later...

Finally found the leak at the top of the strut just behind the top of the boot so I am guessing that the air is leaking between the boot and the metal. Both sides are leaking at the same point.

I don't know if these can be repaired, and ideas?

Has anybody got drawings of the assembly?

5 hours ago, TR7 said:

Finally found the leak at the top of the strut just behind the top of the boot so I am guessing that the air is leaking between the boot and the metal. Both sides are leaking at the same point.

I don't know if these can be repaired, and ideas?

Has anybody got drawings of the assembly?

Air shocks really can't be repaired, and the top does seem to be the area where the RX generally leak from.  It's either a new part, used parts or coilovers I'm afraid.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Air shocks really can't be repaired, and the top does seem to be the area where the RX generally leak from.  It's either a new part, used parts or coilovers I'm afraid.

When I had mine replaced I was shown the old one.

Rusted to oblivion.

• Like 1