Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Purchase of a 2016 rx200t luxury

Hi all

after 8 years of owning my ls430 I traded it in with 120k miles and 14 years old with impeccable reliability. It was more gut wrenching than my divorce!

so I took delivery of a rx 200t luxury and am really enjoying, or was until after 3 days of ownership I discovered the following 

-Sunroof rattle when open 
-Boot door creaking
-Water in rear light driver side
-Auto wipers not working 
-Creaking when turning steering wheel and brakes on actioning slow manoeuvres ie reversing out driveway
-water leak at interior light and spec holder
-rust spot at rear driver quarter panel close to door

so I have been without it for 2 weeks now

i guess after owning two previous Lexus I’m a bit disappointed that so much was wrong especially buying an approved car

on the plus side I’m looking forward to getting it back and driving

• Like 1

Oh dear, not good, but at least it'll all be done under warranty so it's better to find all this now.

It's bad for such a young car though - our 2005 RX300 was about 10 years old when we bought it and it didn't have any of those problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colin4989 said:

Hi all

after 8 years of owning my ls430 I traded it in with 120k miles and 14 years old with impeccable reliability. It was more gut wrenching than my divorce!

so I took delivery of a rx 200t luxury and am really enjoying, or was until after 3 days of ownership I discovered the following 

-Boot door creaking
-Auto wipers not working 
-Creaking when turning steering wheel and brakes on actioning slow manoeuvres ie reversing out driveway

i guess after owning two previous Lexus I’m a bit disappointed that so much was wrong especially buying an approved car

That is bad news and suggests that the Lexus Dealer has not fufilled his part of the bargain. Approved by whom for what, one might ask?

Care to name the Dealer ? I will be visiting my daughter in Glasgow shortly  and would not wish to be sold short as you have undoubtedly been.

Please keep us all posted as to how the Dealer recovers your trust.

Sorry to hear about the problems. I had a couple of problems with an approved gen 3 RX450 bought from a Lexus dealer but they were idiots about it and wouldn't fix the most significant issue so I ended up exchanging it for a better model. I had expected better and will be more wary next time.

How do you find the 200 model? Quite a rarity.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the reply’s 

it was Lexus Carlisle  

I felt they were dragging there heels a bit as there was a bit of uncertainty about who was financially responsible ie warranty sales or service  so I emailed Lexus customer relations and that seemed to make them more agreeable since then it’s been good service. At the end of the day the faults were with the car when I bought it so I wasn’t interested who paid I just wanted it fixed. Can’t say they have been unreasonable just a bit slow perhaps.

what dealer was it where you swapped your car?

really like the 200 it’s a great car to drive . It’s also a cheaper alternative to the hybrid by a good 5-7k and as I do a low mileage it made good sense

still miss my ls 430 don’t think they will ever make a car like that again

• Like 2

I have to say my car bought on description from Derby needed 2 weeks in the bodyshop to get it to Lexus Approved standard. 

Lexus dealers seem to be a rather lax on preparation compared to other manufacturers approved used. 

When I picked up my IS300h it had to immediately go back into the workshop as it had been driven into a fence in the dealerships compound between me buying it and picking it up removing a big section of the front valence . No one bothered to tell me!!!! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

I have to say my car bought on description from Derby needed 2 weeks in the bodyshop to get it to Lexus Approved standard. 

Lexus dealers seem to be a rather lax on preparation compared to other manufacturers approved used. 

When I picked up my IS300h it had to immediately go back into the workshop as it had been driven into a fence in the dealerships compound between me buying it and picking it up removing a big section of the front valence . No one bothered to tell me!!!! 

Wow!

i wonder if Lexus are concerned at this, it seems to be happening at quite a few dealerships 

surely they realise it makes a mockery of “experience amazing”

2 minutes ago, colin4989 said:

Wow!

i wonder if Lexus are concerned at this, it seems to be happening at quite a few dealerships 

2 minutes ago, colin4989 said:

Wow!

From what I read Mercedes Approved Used policy is"let the customer tell us what is wrong." An appalling situation.

Let the buyer be aware is more evident than ever.

8 hours ago, colin4989 said:

what dealer was it where you swapped your car?

really like the 200 it’s a great car to drive . It’s also a cheaper alternative to the hybrid by a good 5-7k and as I do a low mileage it made good sense

still miss my ls 430 don’t think they will ever make a car like that again

It was Tunbridge Wells for me. I probably should have been patient and bought something from my local dealer, especially as it turns out I've known their aftersales manager for 20+ years from our shared interest in older Toyotas, but at the time they didn't have the right car. I didn't get Lexus UK involved, maybe I should have done, but in the end I got a better car for not much more money.

The one I originally had turned up at a non-Lexus sales place, but has now disappeared from AutoTrader although it still shows up as being untaxed.

As long as the manufacturers/importers prefer to sell through group-owned dealerships rather than smaller, often family-run companies then I think we have to start with low expectations....

Good to know you like the 200 anyway, I'd imagine it's lighter than a 450 so has a different feel to it?

I drove a friend's Mk2 LS400 recently, which reminded me of the Mk3 I used to have, and it made me realise they are still an incredible car.

• 4 months later...
On 8/14/2019 at 11:22 PM, colin4989 said:

200t on an RX? Isn't that too small for such a big car?

I am planning to get a GS 200t and I am worried about it being under too much stress and failing in time.

On 8/14/2019 at 7:43 PM, colin4989 said:

Hi all

-Boot door creaking
-Auto wipers not working 

All ok now?

19 minutes ago, PCM said:

All ok now?

Hi yes all sorted although the dealership didn’t ensure the body work had been repaired and ended up just giving me the money to sort myself

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 6:15 PM, LexusFanBoy said:

200t on an RX? Isn't that too small for such a big car?

I am planning to get a GS 200t and I am worried about it being under too much stress and failing in time.

No it’s pretty rapid but very vocal 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, colin4989 said:

Difficult to make a blanket statement to that effect to be honest.  All I can say is based on my experience I wouldn’t use them ever again

Thanks Colin,

Beware is defined as "be cautious and alert to risks or dangers", but I think that your statement is not unwise., in the circumstances of this case.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would update. The water ingress I had when I purchased car is back in the exact same place. Looks like it’s coming in at the area of the interior light and sun glasses holder behind the rear view mirror. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks Colin

7 hours ago, colin4989 said:

Just thought I would update. The water ingress I had when I purchased car is back in the exact same place. Looks like it’s coming in at the area of the interior light and sun glasses holder behind the rear view mirror. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks Colin

Did you not get 12 months warranty from Lexus Carlisle Colin ?

Just now, colin4989 said:

Hi I got 2 years but not sure if water ingress would be covered. I was also contemplating rejecting car as this was an issue when I bought it

Either coming in from the sunroof or the top of the windscreen isn't sealed correctly. 

Yes it is covered under warranty (if original windscreen), and yes you could reject the vehicle or at least insist the dealer puts things right irrespective of the Lexus warranty.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Roy you would think 

Lexus Glasgow have contacted Carlisle for auth to investigate and pay for repairs should the leak not be covered by the warranty   Lexus Carlisle refused saying they have spent too much on the car already I am soo frustrated