Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Purchase of a 2016 rx200t luxury

38 minutes ago, colin4989 said:

Hi Roy you would think 

Lexus Glasgow have contacted Carlisle for auth to investigate and pay for repairs should the leak not be covered by the warranty   Lexus Carlisle refused saying they have spent too much on the car already I am soo frustrated 

Spending too much money on a car does not absolve them from their legal responsibility. Tell them in writing (and keep a copy ) that if they do not fix the problem you will reject the car.Consult a Solicitor or ask Citizens Advice to help you.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Spending too much money on a car does not absolve them from their legal responsibility. Tell them in writing (and keep a copy ) that if they do not fix the problem you will reject the car.Consult a Solicitor or ask Citizens Advice to help you.

Or  threaten to issue a summons in the small claims Court to cover the cost of repair. (very inexpensive and covers amounts up to £5000)

That often focuses the mind I have found. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for the advice!!!  Here is my response to Lexus Carlisle 

Good morning Dougie

I called yesterday, not sure if you got the message. 

Lexus Glasgow informed me that you are not prepared to cover the cost of investigation and repair (if not covered by the extended warranty) as you have spent too much on the car already

I am very concerned that this is the case for a water ingress (in exactly the same area) that was reported within 2 weeks of original purchase and has not been rectified 

Spending too much money on a car does not absolve from your legal responsibility 

if you do not fix the water ingress I will reject the car

Regards
Colin
  • Like 2

So I sent email at 8am this morning and got a response via email at 1.35pm. Poor communication and customer service. They want to collect the car and fix the water ingress so they can minimise potential costs to them. I’ve spoke to Lexus Customer Relations and told them my concern as Carlisle has been poor in communication and I’m not confident in their workmanship. So I either get Carlisle to fix or reject. Would have preferred Glasgow to do it

Good news Colin in that you have got things moving again--a far cry from "we have spent too much on this car".

My advice would be that you give Carlisle (who sold the car to you) one final chance to fix the problem.

Demand that they provide you with a suitable loan car at their cost and state that if after completing their endeavours the problem still persists, then the car will be accepted back by them and you will receive a suitable refund of the purchase price.(Cost less appropriate usage ).

Put all of this in writing and send it to the Dealer Principal at Lexus Carlisle with a copy sent to Lexus Customer Services.

IF THEY DO NOT ACCEPT,THEN YOU WILL REJECT THE VEHICLE IMMEDIATELY.

Good luck.

• Thanks 2

Again great advice thank you!

they have already confirmed a loan car  

below is what I am emailing to them 

Can you do next Wednesday morning from my home address please 

I believe that Lexus Glasgow has some direction as to what repairs to effect and I’m aware they have liaised with you. 

I hope that the fault is fixed on this second attempt and I would point out that should it persist I will be rejecting the car and expect a suitable refund of the purchase price less appropriate usage

Can you or (dealer principal) please confirm that Lexus Carlisle are agreeable to these terms and if not I will be rejecting the car with immediate effect 

Regards
Colin

6 minutes ago, colin4989 said:

Again great advice thank you!

they have already confirmed a loan car  

below is what I am emailing to them 

Can you do next Wednesday morning from my home address please 

I believe that Lexus Glasgow has some direction as to what repairs to effect and I’m aware they have liaised with you. 

I hope that the fault is fixed on this second attempt and I would point out that should it persist I will be rejecting the car and expect a suitable refund of the purchase price less appropriate usage

Can you or (dealer principal) please confirm that Lexus Carlisle are agreeable to these terms and if not I will be rejecting the car with immediate effect 

Regards
Colin

I wish you well, Colin.Do keep us all posted.

Give Les (ollies grandad) time to comment.

• Thanks 1

It is a while since I have studied consumer rights law so you need to check on how much time you give them to rectify the fault and ensure that by allowing them to attempt repair again you are not weakening your rights. 

I wish you well. 

Worth studying the approved used car conditions also as that is a good lever if they haven't prepared the car properly to Lexus standards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, colin4989 said:

So operations director agreed to terms on another note now my engine management light has come on and felt like it was going to cut out 

IMG_1341.MOV

Not sure I understand your comment Colin.

Are you saying that Lexus Carlisle have agreed your terms for allowing them one final chance to correct the problem?

And are you saying that your car now has an additional problem, namely that of an engine warning light has come on ? If the answer to this last question is yes, then they must investigate that and correct at their expense too.

• Thanks 1

Hi John

yes to having one final chance to fix the water ingress and Lexus Glasgow have the car just now for the new issue as it’s got extended warranty (bought the car in July last year). Don’t really want to drive it down to Carlisle until it’s fixed incase irreparable damage is done

• Like 2

Lexus Glasgow update they can’t determine what’s causing the issue they took it out a test drive and it STALLED! It’s now running fine but they are going to investigate further   Anyone else had these issues

5 minutes ago, colin4989 said:

Lexus Glasgow update they can’t determine what’s causing the issue they took it out a test drive and it STALLED! It’s now running fine but they are going to investigate further   Anyone else had these issues

Seems to me that we are moving along the rejection off the car route.

• Like 1

John unsure on that one. I’ve agreed to let  Lexus Carlisle repair the water ingress and this new fault happened 8 months into my ownership ( so the difficulty would be in proving the fault was there at purchase)

1 hour ago, colin4989 said:

John unsure on that one. I’ve agreed to let  Lexus Carlisle repair the water ingress and this new fault happened 8 months into my ownership ( so the difficulty would be in proving the fault was there at purchase)

1.If Carlisle cannot repair the water ingress to your total satisfaction, then you have an agreement with them that you can reject the car, don`t you Colin?

2. The Engine Management light can be something simple like a need to replace an oxygen sensor, but whatever the problem the Dealer who sold you the car (Carlisle?) provided you with 12 months warranty, did they not?

Let events under 1. above unfold and under 2. likewise, as neither should involve you in spending money.

If events under 1. above lead you to rejecting the car, then the problem which has caused the problem under 2. will simply reinforce your decision to reject.

Please tell me if I have misunderstood your predicament Colin.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Okay gents update- so Lexus Carlisle were given the opportunity to repair sunroof a second time and guess what yep it leaked again (3 months after actioning repair). I informed them I wanted  to reject. They agreed and came  back to me with what I believe to be a fair price after 1.5 years of ownership and 8k miles. 
however I have seen a Es demo that they have and am in the process of potentially buying. I have explained to the operations director my concerns at buying from them again. I said why back in this post about my ls 430 and how Lexus  may not build them like they used to. Anyway your advice throughout has been invaluable thank you 🙏 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links