Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone

I’m looking at buying a hybrid Lexus. I have approx 13k to spend

I currently drive a Range Rover Velar D180 but my 12 month lease is coming to an end. I work for JLR so got an unbelievable deal that I couldn’t refuse.

Previous to the Velar I owned a 2009 IS250 for three years and it was the best all round car I’ve had so I’m looking at Lexus again for my next choice.

Im looking at IS300h’s in the main but there’s a listing on Autotrader that’s caught my eye. GS450H, 152k, one owner, FLSH. It’s priced at 12k and similar mileage IS300h are coming out approx 1-2k cheaper. Ideally, I’d prefer something around the 100k mileage mark. I’m sure there’s wriggle room on the price, the listing has been up for at least six weeks so I’d expect to get a 1k reduction so let’s say 10.5k

My concern is regarding hybrid Battery life. I understand from a bit of research that they have a life of 10-15 years and 150-200k.  My annual mileage is approx 7k and I’d be looking to keep the car for around five years. I understand that a hybrid model doesn’t match my mileage etc but I’m a sucker for high performance, understated cars with a lux feel.

So, can I expect five years of relatively trouble free motoring despite the high miles? If the hybrid Battery failed what’s the replacement cost, Lexus or independent? If the car has full Lexus history, provided I do the annual health check will that extend the Battery warranty even at this type of mileage?

Any advice, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

chris 

I would not buy from a non- Lexus dealer for £12,000 with that kind of mileage.

It is possible to pay approx £60 at a Lexus Dealer for a Hybrid Battery Health Check and if it passes and you do less than 10,000 mile annually and you have it checked annually it will be covered for 15 years from its date of manufacture.

Good luck.

Ok. So, assuming it has full Lex history (there’s a pic of the service book in the autotrader ad) I would also assume it’s been health checked at appropriate intervals. It’s a 13 plate so obviously it’s done well above 10k annually. Does this invalidate it’s potential warranty regarding the Battery?

Why wouldn’t you buy non lex approved? The advert says it’s ex government owned chauffeur vehicle so I’m guessing it would’ve had any work lex suggested regardless of cost which is appealing. 

At that sort of mileage would a timing chain be due? I’d expect a water pump change unless it’s already been done. Any other big hitter parts, maintenance at this mileage?

thanks for the reply. Do you own one of these cars?

25 minutes ago, WetMyBeak said:

Ok. So, assuming it has full Lex history (there’s a pic of the service book in the autotrader ad) I would also assume it’s been health checked at appropriate intervals. It’s a 13 plate so obviously it’s done well above 10k annually. Does this invalidate it’s potential warranty regarding the battery?

Why wouldn’t you buy non lex approved? The advert says it’s ex government owned chauffeur vehicle so I’m guessing it would’ve had any work lex suggested regardless of cost which is appealing. 

At that sort of mileage would a timing chain be due? I’d expect a water pump change unless it’s already been done. Any other big hitter parts, maintenance at this mileage?

thanks for the reply. Do you own one of these cars?

The Hybrid Warranty (assuming it passes) goes forward and has no regard to past mileages. 10,000 miles annually each forthcoming year.

I would only buy from an authorised Lexus Dealer as they provide a comprehensive 12 month  Lexus warranty. 

Have you checked the vehicle history via the DVLA website ? It provides an invaluable insight to the things that have needed attention to pass the MOT Test

Timing chains can last 200,000 miles as has the one on my Merc. I do not know of Lexus` experience. Ask Lexus Chester or whichever Dealer is local to you.

I have a 2010 GS 450h, which I have had for 6 years. It has covered 60,000 without a murmer.

Assuming you mean this one, then full service history is a bit of a misnomer.

From what I can see, it went just under 20,000 miles between its last 2 services, and it is now 23,000 miles since its last one.  (assuming that someone with better eyesight doesn't correct me).

Considering that service intervals are 10k, I wouldn't call that a full history.

The MOT history doesn't look bad though, and it appears clean enough in the pictures, so perhaps it might be alright.

The issue is that it is no longer eligible for an extended warranty, and I personally wouldn't consider buying this car without one.

• Like 1

In general I wouldn't be afraid (and I'm not) of the millage if car was serviced and looked after. In this case there is few gaps as there should be 15 stamps and not 11 🙂

Water pump should last around 120k or so. If it is not changed it might fail soon.

If miles were motorways mainly suspension should be still good, but who knows what kind of roads that car was doing. Better check.

You also should check brakes. At that millage you should have new set of front disc and pads if still on original ones they probably due to be changed.

Double check with Lexus which was doing service if coolant was changed at 100k and spark plugs at 120k - both are pretty expensive ones.

Finally gearbox oil - most probably not changed so I would change it ASAP if you would plan to keep it for longer. 

Price wise, it is quite high especially as it is Luxury. 

Have you considered this one:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201906279479539?make=LEXUS&year-from=2012&model=GS 450H&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=rg225ph&page=1

Not the cleanest of MOT histories, but not too bad either.

However, this car would be eligible for an extended warranty if you get it inspected at a dealer and no issues arise.

The only problem I can see is that it is being sold privately, so no comeback if they do find something wrong.