Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Who is the man who came up with this idea?

bvhout

Yesterday I was in a traffic jam and it rained a bit. I opened my window a bit and I felt relaxed. Then the car asks me whether it wants to close the window for me. No, I just opened it. Then a few minutes later, its asks me again. NO, I opened it and I can close it when I want to. The button to do so is very close to my hand. You don't have to ask me. I don't need you to ask me. Now, the default answer is no; the message goes away quite quickly, but it does continue to pop up and starts to distract me. Yes, I say, I'm now talking to the car, I know there is some rain coming into the car. I can see this, I still want my window open, that is why I opened it. And when I feel like closing it, or when it gets too wet, I will clsoe it, so stop bothering me. Really, I can do this by myself and I don't want to be distracted. So, stop. 

That was when I started to wonder. Who, oh who, came up with this idea that we needed a car to ask us this. Who sits in a car, or in his design studio, and thinks I wish that my car would ask me to helkp me close my window? And I wonder: what were his other ideas? What were the ones that he/she came up with that Lexus thought that they were silly, a bit over the top? 

• Haha 4

I could see some occasions when it might be useful. Clearly the car recognises the fact it's raining, or does it also ask when it's dry? Does the car ask to close the sunroof when it starts raining?

Is there an option in the setup menus to disable the feature?

• Like 2

Sounds annoying. I had something similar on our old Volvo (2011 V70) - if it needed servicing it would remind you when you started the car, and again when you turned it off - this seemed to me a very sensible way of doing the reminders. However, if you were driving along, used the windscreen washer and tripped it below the "low" level in the washer tank, it would then flash up a message, with the big orange warning triangle on the dash, reminding you to fill up the washer fluid. It would continue to do this, EVERY 5 MINUTES. I did have moments of ending up yelling at the car "YES! I KNOW! I'M DOING 70 DOWN THE M6, WHAT IS IT THAT YOU WANT ME TO DO ABOUT THIS?!!!". The worse part of this was that the screenwash tank on the volvo was so big (over 5 litres) that what the car considered "low" was about the same amount of screenwash as was full to the brim in my Leaf. 

I've seen a few other instances of this kind of "helpful" approach by cars. I try my best to avoid driving manual cars these days, but when I do I am infuriated by gear change indicators. I do, in fact, know when to change gear if I'm driving a manual and you, mr car, do not know that I can see there's a hill or that i want to be ready to overtake or whatever.... Either shut up about what gear you think I should be in, or DO IT YOURSELF. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bvhout said:

Yesterday I was in a traffic jam and it rained a bit. I opened my window a bit and I felt relaxed. Then the car asks me whether it wants to close the window for me. No, I just opened it. Then a few minutes later, its asks me again. NO, I opened it and I can close it when I want to. The button to do so is very close to my hand. You don't have to ask me. I don't need you to ask me. Now, the default answer is no; the message goes away quite quickly, but it does continue to pop up and starts to distract me. Yes, I say, I'm now talking to the car, I know there is some rain coming into the car. I can see this, I still want my window open, that is why I opened it. And when I feel like closing it, or when it gets too wet, I will clsoe it, so stop bothering me. Really, I can do this by myself and I don't want to be distracted. So, stop. 

That was when I started to wonder. Who, oh who, came up with this idea that we needed a car to ask us this. Who sits in a car, or in his design studio, and thinks I wish that my car would ask me to helkp me close my window? And I wonder: what were his other ideas? What were the ones that he/she came up with that Lexus thought that they were silly, a bit over the top? 

It is not the person who came up withe idea that is culpable it is the person who approved its incorporation within the vehicle specification !!

Rumour has it the job was contracted out to a third party. An unwitting apprentice made the mistake of contacting the Marketing Department of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.  The rest, as they say, is history.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, i-s said:

if you were driving along, used the windscreen washer and tripped it below the "low" level in the washer tank, it would then flash up a message, with the big orange warning triangle on the dash, reminding you to fill up the washer fluid. It would continue to do this, EVERY 5 MINUTES. I did have moments of ending up yelling at the car "YES! I KNOW! I'M DOING 70 DOWN THE M6, WHAT IS IT THAT YOU WANT ME TO DO ABOUT THIS?!!!".

😄

Same thing happens in my IS250. I sh*t myself and thought I had a catastrophic engine or gearbox failure the first time it happened. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 8/17/2019 at 9:18 PM, J Henderson said:

😄

Same thing happens in my IS250. I sh*t myself and thought I had a catastrophic engine or gearbox failure the first time it happened. 

Indeed and it comes up with massive yellow triangle ... at least twice as big as check engine light.

In other hand you can get 3 points and £100 if your headlight/screen wash does not work or tank is empty - certainly more than you would get for blasting your engine into pieced in the middle of motorway causing 50 queues and delays for half of the country (so I guess there is some "logic" in it?).

As for warning to close the windows in the rain - I think that is good idea, the problem is the reminder. Same can be said about everything - washer fluid level, check engine lights, seat belts warning sound... sound-it/flash-it once and then let me do what I was doing - in the end of the day I am adult and if my car get's wet or if I fly through the window after picking up steering wheel with my chest it is going to be my decision!

I blame current culture of pampered adults who cannot flick the switch themselves and could not make rational decision or simply look around. I mean c'mon I see it is **** turn in the road - I don't need 4 signs to say "slow down now!!!". When it comes to Lexus I blame amuricans - they are much more retarded and brand is aimed at them hence annoying never ending bells and warnings and literally 1000 labels with yellow triangles (remember unintended acceleration "issue"), but this is becoming worldwide issue now and I am sure we will be seeing more of this.

i blame the US legal system really..  What!! that car overtaking me was way bigger than in my mirror and you Lexus did not warn me about that so you are the fault of my accident. Iĺl sue you for 20 million!

• Like 1

This week I drove past a parked Citroen Picasso 2 days running on the way to work that had the o/s rear window half way down. Dread to think what the interior is like now but I'd imagine they'd have been grateful of the window open warning.

• Haha 1