Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Daylight running lights temperamental ??

Hi all ! Should the daylight running lights activate soon as the car starts ? Reason I ask is when I started the car this morning and got out the car straight away the DRL was not on ?? Not sure if they were always like that as I don't make a habit of getting out to see if they work straight away when I start up the car ! I know they do work as I can see reflection on car in front of me say on traffic and when I parked up this morning and got out to take a look !! Is this normal ? Thanks !

43 minutes ago, ghost_killer said:

Hi all ! Should the daylight running lights activate soon as the car starts ? Reason I ask is when I started the car this morning and got out the car straight away the DRL was not on ?? Not sure if they were always like that as I don't make a habit of getting out to see if they work straight away when I start up the car ! I know they do work as I can see reflection on car in front of me say on traffic and when I parked up this morning and got out to take a look !! Is this normal ? Thanks !

Anything in the Handbook Rus ?

They should come on with the ignition and either go off or at least go dim when you turn your side/tail lights on so that they don't dazzle other drivers in the dark.

25 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Anything in the Handbook Rus ?

Looked just now and no - atleast I can't see anything for the DRL, can see info about lights though !!

14 minutes ago, Herbie said:

They should come on with the ignition and either go off or at least go dim when you turn your side/tail lights on so that they don't dazzle other drivers in the dark.

Yes they should, as said whilst stuck in traffic / set of traffic lights i can see from reflection of car in front (their rear bumper) that the DRL's are on/working (I de-activated the auto light function so it's not sidelights on).

Looking at a US forum I think I may know what it may be but need to try that to see !! Which I haven't done so yet !!

3 minutes ago, Oily73 said:

I have noticed that when I first start the car the DRL's are off until I release the parking break then they come on and stay on until I switch the ignition off..

That is exactly what I found on a US lexus forum CLublexus but haven't tried it so couldn't say for sure so sounds like the DRL comes on when you release the parking brake in my case, Weird that...... whenever i park up and apply the parking brake the DRL stays on till you turn ignition off.... 

30 minutes ago, ghost_killer said:

That is exactly what I found on a US lexus forum CLublexus but haven't tried it so couldn't say for sure so sounds like the DRL comes on when you release the parking brake in my case, Weird that...... whenever i park up and apply the parking brake the DRL stays on till you turn ignition off.... 

Have you read and understood PAGE 206 of your Owners Manual  Rus ??

Yes, some take the feed from the ignition, some from the parking brake, some from the alternator and some from the fuel pump. It doesn't actually matter as long as they only come on when the engine starts.

2019-08-19.thumb.png.d23099a5082286eee58bf2b739621372.png

6 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Have you read and understood PAGE 206 of your Owners Manual  Rus ??

Don't know what owners manual you've got, mine doesn't go up to page 206 !! Can see section how to change light bulbs if it's non LED and how to use/switch it on but nothing about DRL even on index !!

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

Yes, some take the feed from the ignition, some from the parking brake, some from the alternator and some from the fuel pump. It doesn't actually matter as long as they only come on when the engine starts.

2019-08-19.thumb.png.d23099a5082286eee58bf2b739621372.png

I see, learn something new even if it's small things !

In the NX, the DRLs are not linked to the parking brake. They switch on only when you select D or R... unless the luminosity level is low enough for the low beam to activate, in which case the DRLs will activate with it. I would assume it is the same with the IS.

43 minutes ago, DanD said:

In the NX, the DRLs are not linked to the parking brake. They switch on only when you select D or R... unless the luminosity level is low enough for the low beam to activate, in which case the DRLs will activate with it. I would assume it is the same with the IS.

Couldn't say for sure about the new IS, I assume on the NX if you park up and put the gear shift to 'P' the DRL stays on if you leave the ignition on ? On mine (2015 IS300h) if I activate the parking brake and place the gear shift to 'P' and leave ignition on the DRL stays on.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:25 AM, rayaans said:

In our 2013 IS, it comes on when you release the parking brake

Sounds like the NX: contrary to the IS, it has an automatic parking brake, but it gets released as you as you select Drive or Reverse.