Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The ISF has taken a fair few digs about its fake tips and the start of its trend......fast forward 10 years and it’s got worse A LOT WORSE!.....this morning I was following an E45 AMG convertible and couldn’t believe how “tacky” the rear tips look, extremely plasticky and the icing on the cake was the “SINGLE” pipe that was visible inside.....I was LED to believe Mercedes had upped their game. 🤔.....obviously not 

It's got even worse than the way the ISF was, I think.... Many mercedes models now have rear bumper trims that are effectively "I can't believe it's not an exhaust tip", when the exhaust is actually totally hidden: 

fake-exhausts-invade-2018-paris-motor-sh

Even worse, however, is this:

3-mercedes-benz-eqc-2019-fd-rear-end.jpg

Not exactly a fake exhaust, but a definite nod to making you think of a big oval tailpipe (rather audi or jaguar-esque). But why?

In industry they're called exhaust "collectors". The reason they exist is to allow for a much tighter fit between the exhaust trim and the rest of the body. Disconnecting them from the exhaust system means they don't need a massive clearance around them, and can therefore be styled a lot better for visual... in most cases.